PGCBM of XLRI - Important

Hi guys! I recently got to know that XLRI conducts satellite courses across 30 cities and the duration of the course is 14 months. The program name is Post Graduate Certificate in Business Management (PGCBM) I am not sure how good t…

Hi guys!

I recently got to know that XLRI conducts satellite courses across 30 cities and the duration of the course is 14 months.
The program name is Post Graduate Certificate in Business Management
(PGCBM)
I am not sure how good this course is, and what is its credibility!

The fee is Rs 180,000/- payable in three equal installments of Rs 60,000/-

Could some one please advise me about the pros and cons of this course!

P.S. The last date of admission to the course for the next batch commencing in April is Jan 30, 2007

Thanks in advance

hi ,

it's been more than 1 yr since anyone responded to this message of urs & hopefully u would be in a position to answer it urself now !!

i have xactly the same query & hence will pls anyone let me know .

regards....

PGCBM helped me think differently and make sense of why certain things are done the way they are done in the corporate world. I come from engineering background. Prior to doing this course I would often think that one could acquire all the knowledge and skills one needed as s/he ascended into management on the job, and not really need education, But now I realize 'how much I didn't know what I now know'.

PGCBM is quite comprehensive, covering at least 4 subjects in strategy, 3-4 in quantitative & operational techniques, a handful in finance, marketing, sales & distribution, and one in business law. It can't be earned without completing a final project. But please be warned. With 22 courses, PGCBM is not a cakewalk; at least it isn't to me. You do it ONLY if you can commit time to the classes, cohort and individual projects and a flurry of exams that will keep you on your toes. You typically set expectation with your family and friends that you will be giving away all the weekends across 14 months to PGCBM. If not anything else, this course is a great time management teacher if you must balance your time between office, studies and family. You get to spend a week at the XLRI campus which is a rigorous schedule. I remember getting into class at 7:30am and breaking at 7:30pm only to take assignments or exam prep work back to the hostel room. But it was a privilege to interact with the faculty there and also it was great fun mingling with batchmates, soaking in the sights & sounds of the campus.

If you were me, towards the end of the course you'd begin to wonder what a pity it is that it is not a part-time degree but a certification, after you've put in so much (see details Red Herring). And by the way, XLRI will provide you all the text books and reading materials, so you would also build a neat little library for yourself by the end.

I don't think PGCBM has any industry recognition per se. But because you become XLRI Alumni, there is recognition and respect. I think it is a good qualification to make progress in your current organization, or as a supplement to strengthen your candidature when you are looking for a job outside. However, I wouldn't compare it with a diploma or degree. Although I can vouch that you'll LEARN MUCH MORE than you would if you had picked up some of those distance/self learned MBA courses. Why? Simply because the faculty is great in pedagogy and in setting high standards; you attend their lectures in live classrooms and write exams that mean business; complete projects and critically review case studies.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the learning value and enablers the course provides.

I hope this helps.

Chirantan

hi ,

it's been more than 1 yr since anyone responded to this message of urs & hopefully u would be in a position to answer it urself now !!

i have xactly the same query & hence will pls anyone let me know .

regards....

Hi Chirantanaranya,

Thanks for the detailed post, it cleared most of the doubts related to the course.:)

Please guide me through the interview process, if there is any technical ppn required to crack the interview.

Thanks,
Pragati

AFAIK no technical prep per se is required. But articulation of a clear vision is required.

Best of luck,
Chirantan

Hi Chirantanaranya,

Thanks for the detailed post, it cleared most of the doubts related to the course.:)

Please guide me through the interview process, if there is any technical ppn required to crack the interview.

Thanks,
Pragati

Hi,

I have currently got through the 19th batch of PGCBM. I was wanting to know whether the exam's are conducted online or is it a written exam and where are they conducted.

Thanks
Abhishek

Congrats. When I attended, exams were a combination of online and written.

Thanks for the info.. Could you also tell me how many times do we need to go to the campus? The prospectus mentions only once...

Hi,
Can anyone tell me whats the selection criteria for this course?

Hi Chirantan,

I am through for PGCBM 21 course offered by XLRI. I am interested to know more details about the program. Can u plz give ur e mail id/ ph.no. my id is [email protected]. I m working for Hilti as Specification Consultant carrying 5.5yrs of experience.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks, Praveen

Hi All

Need some help urgently ..
by mistake i filled general management instead of Business management.
And i have also paid the amount .I am not elligible for this coarse .. can anyone tell me how can i change this to business management .. what should i do now ??
Please guys dont know hw i did this blunder !!
thnx in advance

hi, Could any one please provide some more reviews for the PGCBM program.
Previous posts have mixed responses.
primarily about industry relevance and how does it'll help for someone not in managerial role.

XIMB & Statvarsity Interactive tie-up to offer Executive Development Programs
posted: 10-12-2011
Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (XIMB) one of the top B-Schools in country offers Management Programs at its campus located at Bhubaneswar. The Institute & Statvarsity have entered in to a collaboration to offer certain Management Courses and Executive Development Programs in the distance education mode. The courses would be conducted by the regular faculty of XIMB under its seal and Statvarsity Interactive would be a partner for providing the marketing, infrastructure and technology support for the executive programs which will be conducted using the Video Conferencing facilities Pan India.
The Institute has launched two programs:
Post Graduate Certificate Program in Business Management (PGCBM) Batch 8
Post Graduate Certificate Program in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM) Batch 2
Both the programs are designed for working executives and would be available at local centers in their own cities. The programs offer an opportunity to pursue quality management certifications along with their jobs

For details visit: www.statvarsity.org/ximb/executiveeducation2

Hi,

I am also planning to apply for a similar program: PGCBM by IIM Indore. Please tell me how useful is this program and does it have any industry recognition ? I currently work in IT domain but want to shift to management side, so can this course can give any edge to my career ?

Thanks 4 ur reply.

Even i have the same query.Someone kindly throw some light on this.

hi, Could any one please provide some more reviews for the PGCBM program.
Previous posts have mixed responses.
primarily about industry relevance and how does it'll help for someone not in managerial role.

Dear Anurag,

I did post a detailed review years back. I hope it was of help to you.

Your question of industry relevance is valid and one frequently asked. The short answer is, I think the relevance is high because you interact in a cohort environment comprising only of seasoned industry professionals.

But more than that, I discovered that a learning like this helps personal professional vitality.

Because this seems like a frequently asked question, I have created a group where I have posted my views. My goal is to invite different views from others like me to help prospective learners decide.

To access, login at OSSnext.org Home. Then click 'Groups' towards top right of the page. Go under 'Management theory - in real life practice', then click Group 'Mgmt education for working professionals - general questions'. You can download a pdf file under 'Files' tab.

Regards,
Chirantan

This course is just a money minting venture for xlri. With zero investment they are making huge money. The learning value of this course is close to nil as you will be bulldozed with 21+ subjects in a year. You will have no time to really learn anything, you will end up focussing on how to pass.
Moreover, hughes, the satellite partner has got a pathetic platform. There will be network and transmission issues throughout the program. You will end in missing classes and tests for no fault of yours and then you will have to pay even more money to them. This program is just a money generating outfit. If you are willing to lose your money, and your peace of mind and are ok with getting nothing in return, then go ahead. Oh by the way, xlri advertises so much abt this course but once it begins they say that we are not interested in running such programs !!!
Also industry acceptance of this certificate is practically nil. Coz the learning value is nil. During the program all professors will begin by saying " this is not a full time program, here there are just 10 sessions whereas in a full time there are 30 sessions, so I will just cover the basics" ....some of the professors will just read out the chapter numbers and declare syllabus completed....

In short this course is a scam. Better do the program from IIMs where the focus is on quality and not on quantity..

And speaking of industry acceptance; in the current batch of 180 students not even a single person has got a job on the basis of this certificate. And most of those guys are now cribbing why they joined this pathetic course.

@[91887:Bluequill] The emphasis of this course is on learning value and not so much on 'getting another job'. With professional vitality and fresh thinking, you utilize your new skills to grow in your own organization.

If you are looking to get another job, this course is not for you, and the minimum you probably need is a part time diploma. My original post makes this pretty clear.

Although the idea is not to pitch a particular institute's offering against one another - your voice of disagreement is totally your right.

That said, people DO enrol for these courses with different motivations - not least of which is to be on par with their peers ascending their organization. I wrote a piece on this here - To access, login at http://OSSnext.org Home. Then click 'Groups' towards top right of the page. Go under 'Management theory - in real life practice', then click Group 'Mgmt education for working professionals - general questions'. Then tab to 'Files' to access the file.

Oh plzzz!!! Dont use the word "learning" with PGCBM...there is no learning here...its just mugging to clear the endless midterms and endterms...even XLRI does not bother on the learning part...all they want is to take one exam after the other...Most of my batchmates who did this program had high hopes...and most of them are disillusioned now...and moreover the industry gives bulls*** value to such courses....a full time MBA student would be having more knowledge on management subjects than a PG whatever !