Frequent job shifts - Baneful ?

Hi, I am planning to take GMAT this year and apply in top B-Schools. I have 2+ years experience as software engineer. Problem is that I quit my first job in 7 months. :: I m planning to shift from my current job after working 17 months in t…

Hi,

I am planning to take GMAT this year and apply in top B-Schools. I have 2+ years experience as software engineer. Problem is that I quit my first job in 7 months. I m planning to shift from my current job after working 17 months in this firm. I m making this shift because of good Sal hike.
Could anyone please tell me is it fine making such frequent shifts.. from the perspective of seeking admission to B-schools ? :

- Pranay

Hi,

The job shift per se would not be a problem. It would be a question of whether the job shifts are consistent from the point of view of your career goals. If you can show that they are and also that the job shift brought in increased responsibilities and challenges, you should be fine.

There is one disadvantage of a job shift though. Generally, schools look for good career progression in terms of growth in job titles. And if you're shifting from s/w enggr in one firm to s/w enggr in another, it could take a while for you to move upto team lead/manager etc, as you would have to first establish credibility in your new organization. This could hurt a bit while apping.

Regards,
Mansur