[2008]IIM Calcutta GD/PI call getters Profile & Queries

Keere Says
The effective increase is 6 + 17 (OBC seats) ie 23. Because I am sure OBC people wouldn't be considered in the general category now.

No. If say a OBC student gets a absolute better score than a general student, he will be given a general seat and not the reserved OBC seat. This confusion may not have happened till now since overlap between SC/ST and General will hardly be any. But it is much more probable with OBC students.

The seats are not categorized as "Forward caste" seats but "General seats" which means its for "everyone".

I know this since in Tamil Nadu there is reservation for BC students and if a BC student gets a better rank than me, he takes the general seat and not the BC seat.

In my point of view, Results should come out tomorrow because though SC has approved of reservation policy but it has stated that Creamy layer will not get this benefit and moreover to recongnize the ppl who are in creamy layer GOI should do a survey in every 5 year. So now.. ppl who are in OBC category can not be segregated between creamy/non creamy layer and hence GOI can not force IIMs to give reservation to OBC candidates becuase GOI is not ready with the layer of seperation between these 2 layers.
Comments invited.

guys m a a lil confuse by iim A's criteria they hav kept obc reservation at 6% though its 27% as far as i knw..
so if thts d case of miscalculation.. its surely time to mourn...

hope m worng though..

guys m a a lil confuse by iim a's criterea they hav kept obc reservation at 6% though its 27% as far as i knw..
so if thts d case of miscaculation.. its surely time to mourn...

hipe m worng though..

Its not a case of miscalculation. The IIMs will be implementing reservations in a staggered manner.

ne idea if the C results will be coming out tomm?

No. If say a OBC student gets a absolute better score than a general student, he will be given a general seat and not the reserved OBC seat. This confusion may not have happened till now since overlap between SC/ST and General will hardly be any. But it is much more probable with OBC students.

The seats are not categorized as "Forward caste" seats but "General seats" which means its for "everyone".

I know this since in Tamil Nadu there is reservation for BC students and if a BC student gets a better rank than me, he takes the general seat and not the BC seat.

What u are saying holds true, but its important to take a standpoint on this issue from the IIM's perspective... For instance consider this scenario...The IIM's have to say a proportion (around 8%) seats by Reserved category students...Wouldn' they first clasify all the admits (who make thru with or without reservation) into OBC and General category (I'm nto considering SC and ST for simplicity) and try to fill up the OBC reserved seats by the best available students from that category rather than deprive a deserving general category student of his seat and gifting it to a reserved category person.

Even if no Puy agrees with me..I hope IIM's do..

P.S: This is what my sensibility tells me. The outcome might be otherwise too.. Afterall we live in such a great democracy - India..
In my point of view, Results should come out tomorrow because though SC has approved of reservation policy but it has stated that Creamy layer will not get this benefit and moreover to recongnize the ppl who are in creamy layer GOI should do a survey in every 5 year. So now.. ppl who are in OBC category can not be segregated between creamy/non creamy layer and hence GOI can not force IIMs to give reservation to OBC candidates becuase GOI is not ready with the layer of seperation between these 2 layers.
Comments invited.

I have seen in some news channel that the people whose house hold income is more than 2.5 lakh per year come under creamy layer. Dont know the authentication of the news.
IIMs may defer admission list after SC order on quota-India-The Times of India

RESULTS DELAYED

IIMs might defer admission list

OBC quota order: IIMs might defer admission list

What u are saying holds true, but its important to take a standpoint on this issue from the IIM's perspective... For instance consider this scenario...The IIM's have to say a proportion (around 8%) seats by Reserved category students...Wouldn' they first clasify all the admits (who make thru with or without reservation) into OBC and General category (I'm nto considering SC and ST for simplicity) and try to fill up the OBC reserved seats by the best available students from that category rather than deprive a deserving general category student of his seat and gifting it to a reserved category person.

Even if no Puy agrees with me..I hope IIM's do..

P.S: This is what my sensibility tells me. The outcome might be otherwise too.. Afterall we live in such a great democracy - India..

if they do it the way u say.. then it becomes a 50% reservation for general category... hope u get it?

Hey puys..Its actually time to mourn..:icon_frown:
It was only suggested to implement quota year by year..but no news as such..it seems all of it will be implemented this year only..
so we ll have 90 seats if seats remain 180..or 120 seats if seats increased to 240..:(
whatever they are less than 134..which was there initially..
This is a serious issue..:(

Here are the results post some frantic phone calls:

IIMA: No Response
IIML: The result will be probably delayed
IIMC: Result will be out tomorrow. : We dont have info
IIMI: Result will be out tomorrow.
IIMK: There will be a delay ..
IIMB: Result will be out tomorrow. : Contact us in the evening..

I just hope the majority wins , but i have a sinkin feeling that the matter will be decided after due dileberation between the directors... just keepin my fingers crossed... All the best puys...

Request you all to continue the discussion regarding the delay in results + OBC reservation issue in the link provided below:-
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sc-upholds-obc-results-likely-to-be-delayed-25030587
Please stop spamming here, as this thread has been opened for a different purpose...Kindly cooperate.
Hi all,
I completely agree with you puys, that those people should be made to go through what we are going through.
It has been too long a waiting time and to delay at this time, it is an out an out murder.:new_ukliam2:
regards,
Tejagna
Calls - A, C, I, K

Make one more post in this thread regarding the delay in results + OBC reservation, get ready to get out of PG for sometime

A warning - Last warning

Request you all to continue the discussion regarding the delay in results + OBC reservation issue in the link provided below:-
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sc-upholds-obc-results-likely-to-be-delayed-25030587
Please stop spamming here, as this thread has been opened for a different purpose...Kindly cooperate.

@prem_ravi
Please stop spamming the same message across all the threads

Hello all.

I have managed to get a little time off today, and therefore snuck onto PG, as I have heard the news.

The reservation issue has many sides to it, and would be better not debated on this thread of Pagalguy. Thanks to Prem bhai for the warning.

I understand that this would have really made quite a few of you nervous. Those who are in their final year of engineering, please concentrate on submissions/studies. Your graduation is more important than a given ruling. The results shall come. And you shall be given adequate time to join. I guess the same holds true for the others as well.

As seniors, we shall try to get you information if the results are indeed delayed. But, my advice would be to call up the admissions office. And/or watch the television. It shall surely be relayed there.

All the best everyone.

Regards,
Sunil Natraj

@prem_ravi
Please stop spamming the same message across all the threads

If you guys stop spamming, there is no necessity for me to come & post or spam in your words.....

Notice

April 11, 2008

In view of the Supreme Court verdict on the issue of implementation of OBC quota in higher educational institutions, the publication of results concerning admissions to post-graduate programmes (PGDM and PGDCM) of IIM Calcutta is being withheld for the time being. The Institute is awaiting directives from MHRD in this regard. A follow-up notice will be put up as soon as the order from the Ministry is received and its implications are evaluated.

Chairman (Admissions)
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta

Notice

April 11, 2008

In view of the Supreme Court verdict on the issue of implementation of OBC quota in higher educational institutions, the publication of results concerning admissions to post-graduate programmes (PGDM and PGDCM) of IIM Calcutta is being withheld for the time being. The Institute is awaiting directives from MHRD in this regard. A follow-up notice will be put up as soon as the order from the Ministry is received and its implications are evaluated.

Chairman (Admissions)

Notice

April 11, 2008

Chairman (Admissions)

Notice

April 11, 2008

Chairman (Admissions)

please post this to the new thread dedicated for this discussion...