siib announces new course on mba in energy and environment.

siib has introduced 2 yr mba in energy and environment…i wanted 2 knw if it has a scope in india n shud b considered or nt?? plz help me wid dis…!! thr r only 30 seats n selection is based on an intervw n essay writing… im s…

siib has introduced 2 yr mba in energy and environment....i wanted 2 knw if it has a scope in india n shud b considered or nt??

plz help me wid dis...!!

thr r only 30 seats n selection is based on an intervw n essay writing....

im sure this kind of course wud b having scope abroad bt in india im nt sure....so if i cud gt sm help....i wud b grateful...!!

hiii

im also lookin for sum info. regarding the course...it will be really helpful if sumbody can can giv sum inputs on this course..thnxxx

Was also wondering about the same thing...I have been working in the IT industry for almost 2 yrs now.Does it make sense to leave my job and go in for this new course?This is sure going to be the in-thing in the days to come..but what about the placement statistics?

sumbody plzz reply...

hii priya chck the "Siib 2009-2011 results out " we hav got sum reply for this there...

Hello friends,
I am also looking for same info..the course looks intresting.any ideas about the curicullum?? and off course any inputs regarding placements & future scope.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Seniors @ SIIB
I am a Mech. engineer & currently working in the sector of Power Transmission & Distriution.
Will this course be fit for me?
Please shed some light...
waiting for replay...

Hii Puys..
I have already posted this on the SIIB-2009-2011 thread..am posting it again here for the benifit of fellow puys..

1) First of all, it's a niche programme. I don't know of any other institute in india which offers such a program. I saw the program course structure (http://www.siib.ac.in/MBA%20-%20E%20&%20E%2009-10.pdf ) and found that it will give you an exposure to the Oil and Gas Sector, Energy sector, and Environment sector.
2) There are not many institutes in India which cater specially to these sectors. For example, for Oil and gas, you have Insti of Petroleum Management, Gandhinagar, Rajiv Gandhi Insti of petroleum technology etc, for energy sector, you have NTPI. I am not aware of institutes catering to the Environmental sector. This program at SIIB combines the things that will be taught at all these above institutes.
3) There is going to be a lot of growth in Oil and Gas as well as Energy sector in india as well as the world. The demand of oil and gas is going to stay and hence, there will be a demand of skilled professionals in this field. Even in Energy (Power sector), I have read in newspapers that Power companies like NTPC, Reliance Energy, Indiabulls, Adani Energy are going to increase their capacitites by a huge amount. Hence, this sector is also going to require skilled professionals.
Talking about the Environment sector, sooner or later, India will also have to adhere to strict environmental laws like Kyoto Protocol..and there will be a demand of such professionals from the Automobile, Mfg, Chemicals and Power Industries.
4) Since this will be the first batch starting from this year, you may be having an apprehension about the placement and stuffs. I guess you should have a look at the placement of IPMG (http://www.ipmg.ac.in/ ) - you'll find that global oil giants like Schlumberger, Weatherford, Cairn etc came there to recruit students. So, probably, I guess, if SIIB does some good work, you can expect placements in the same line.
5) The following are the companies that you can expect to work once you pursue such a course:(I suggest you have a look at the list of recruiters for IPMG : http://www.ipmg.ac.in/pdf/Placement2009.pdf If SIIB does good work, you can expect such type of recruiters for you as well..)
Oil and Gas cos: All PSU Oil Cos, KPMG, Gujarat Gas, GSPC, GAIL, Essar Oil, British Gas,Shell
Energy cos : NTPC, Reliance Energy, Tata Power, Jindal steel and Power and many more..Even Nuclear Energy is an upcoming sector in india..
6) Last..with a few personal insights:
- Since you'll be the first batch, there may be a initial hitches..coz the institute will be putting everything in place for the first time.Once everything is in place, it should be smooth sailing..
- The decision to join should be depending on ur bachelors degree and whether you have a willingness to work in this sector..you may have to forget getting a white collar IT job or a high-paying finance job..
- On the other hand, there's lots of money in the oil and gas sector as well...the biggest companies of the world are from Oil and gas...
- It also depends on ur profile...are u a fresher..or u have a job on hand..also on ur family background - whether you want to complete your post graduation immediately or don't mind working for 1-2 yrs and then coming back to studies...
- the course fees is 6 lacs...add 2 lacs for hostel+ mess..so, that makes it 8 lacs...probably this is a little on the higher side (considering the recession in india..IPMG's total fees is 6 lacs)
- Since the course intake is just 30 students, placements for the entire batch should not be difficult...coz there are many companies in this sector and very few good colleges offering a degree in this field..
Whew..a long post...any more questions are welcome...(I hope you've not slept off by now!)
About me:
I'm a mechanical Enggr - passed out in 2007
Work ex : 1.5 yrs
Converts this year: NIRMA, SIBM-Pune, NMIMS(Waitlisted)
Disclaimer : I am not promoting any college friends...I have given links for IPMG coz this is one college in the energy sector I know well about and it's MBA is somewhat similiar to this programme....am just a student like you..am just sharing some insights coz I've worked in this sector and I am looking forward to work in it post MBA..

Mr.IIMC,

Its been a very useful post which u hav come out with. Ongoing with your post I wud like to add that MDI also provides MBA in Energy management. Along with this there are Universities like Thappar which provides MSc in energy management. Just to correct you can see there are already good number of schools providing this course.

Altogether this is not a new course, but for Symbiosis yes it is. The main point here is to see how well SIIB can place students in this market.

At the end, I wud like to say the figure of 8 Lakhs for this course is really a exaggerate.

ATB

hii khushkardo,

u said it right tht there r gud coleges already providing this course nut//u will see tht the no. of coleges cums to a single digit if i u count providing this course..and demand of energy(oil n gas )will increase drastically in the near future since india is plannin to increase its power generating capacity..not only tht many new players in the field of oil n gas are alwys cumin in the scene..india's ONGC is exploring new countries to cater its demand...so i hope this course wudnt be tht bad...but yaa spending 8 lacs is a bit on the higher side..but still i thnk for an institute like sysmbiosis its worth spending 8 lakhs...coz who knws may be it cums out as one of there prmier courses after sum yrs........:)

Hello Bittu!

Nice name. U are very optimistic abt this course and good to know tht. I hav been following thru the NDTV profit tv channel from quite a few months and I hav some bad news as far energy segment is concerned for this year. One of the gaints "Suzlon" hav sold their stakes and DLF is completely moving out of wind energy. I know its very premitive to talk abt the success abt this field in India. But wen it comes to energy and environment its mostly few companies and NGO's which recruite ppl and salary too is not gud enough to cover 8L expense wat u wil incure in 2 yrs.

I am not discouraging any one, but tryin to caution on the same. A well laid plan is always helpful than blindly following some name or brand.

No harm sought againt anyone! Its my personal views.

ATB

Hello Bittu!

Nice name. U are very optimistic abt this course and good to know tht. I hav been following thru the NDTV profit tv channel from quite a few months and I hav some bad news as far energy segment is concerned for this year. One of the gaints "Suzlon" hav sold their stakes and DLF is completely moving out of wind energy. I know its very premitive to talk abt the success abt this field in India. But wen it comes to energy and environment its mostly few companies and NGO's which recruite ppl and salary too is not gud enough to cover 8L expense wat u wil incure in 2 yrs.

I am not discouraging any one, but tryin to caution on the same. A well laid plan is always helpful than blindly following some name or brand.

ATB

well said mate, add to it the recession and things do look grim.Besides siib didnt had a wonderful placement this season even for its tried and tested flagship course, so who knows what will happen 2 yrs from now.
Having said that though it does look nice from a long term view, however in the shorter term one might have to slug it out.
Looking forward to more discussion from fellow puys...
Hello Bittu!

ATB

ya khushkardo ur right abut suzlon...and wen u said tht may be the salary may not be lucrative as for other MBA streams..but mycase is diff. since im an electrical engineer so i thnk doing an MBA in energy n environment will let me stick to my field only..so tht i can use more n more of my 4yrs graduation knowledge..and hence as a result i may do well as per my career growth goes...i hope u got my point..1 more thng if u will see the sourse contecnt u will see the course mostly contains energy ,oil n gas subjects so...basically its an energy cum oil n gas management course to mee..and thts y as IIMC said...oil n gas and power generating r one the biggest in india as well as all over.....so im banking on this..yua fees is amtter to th nk abut...but still long term views if seen..its gud thn...guys reading this ..plzz its my views..since my case is diff. thnk frm ur side how will the course benifit u...i thnk tht shud be a mian criteria while choosin any PG course ..thnxx bahut gyan de diya..hahahhaha
bittu42 Says
ya khushkardo ur right abut suzlon...and wen u said tht may be the salary may not be lucrative as for other MBA streams..but mycase is diff. since im an electrical engineer so i thnk doing an MBA in energy n environment will let me stick to my field only..so tht i can use more n more of my 4yrs graduation knowledge..and hence as a result i may do well as per my career growth goes...i hope u got my point..1 more thng if u will see the sourse contecnt u will see the course mostly contains energy ,oil n gas subjects so...basically its an energy cum oil n gas management course to mee..and thts y as IIMC said...oil n gas and power generating r one the biggest in india as well as all over.....so im banking on this..yua fees is amtter to th nk abut...but still long term views if seen..its gud thn...guys reading this ..plzz its my views..since my case is diff. thnk frm ur side how will the course benifit u...i thnk tht shud be a mian criteria while choosin any PG course ..thnxx bahut gyan de diya..hahahhaha

Hey Bittu!

Nice to see ur reply and gud man u hav a well planned career direction. I am from Industrial Engineering with 4yr of exp in Quality....and wud like to try my chance at this course. Its purely on interest and concern I am aiming at this course. Hope to see you there SIIB.

ATB

i'm worried that after investing 8 lacs 😞 shud we get placed or not (as we know this is first batch n if I get admission i hav to take loan )

Psycho.abhi Says
i'm worried that after investing 8 lacs 😞 shud we get placed or not (as we know this is first batch n if I get admission i hav to take loan )

Hi Abhi!

Its the case with majority of them here buddy. 8L is definetly is big amt for this course. Placements - its a big question which wil be answered only by TIME (FUTURE)......we are here to gamble thts it.

ATB

Just adding a bit of info here:

NITIE, Mumbai has already such kind of course called PGDISEM(....Diploma in Industrial Safety and Environmemtal Management). The course is very good and excellent placements for it (placements happen simultaneously with other courses). Its fess is only 2.5laks for two years. Hence, this course is kind of new but definitely holds promise.

Psycho.abhi Says

See psycho abhi, its a course that u have to be genuinely interested in, as its a big risk to go for it... 8 lacs investment without any gurantee of placement is a big issue and everyone will have to see whether they are ready to risk it or not on a case to case basis...
Hey Bittu!

Nice to see ur reply and gud man u hav a well planned career direction. I am from Industrial Engineering with 4yr of exp in Quality....and wud like to try my chance at this course. Its purely on interest and concern I am aiming at this course. Hope to see you there SIIB.

ATB

thnxx khushkar do....

gud to see so many people showin interest for this course....ya placemnts will be an issue since this will be the first batch..but since SIIB has cemented name as an premier institute in india so i thnk company will give preference to the brand value..wen thy will be approached correctly for placemnts...well im planin to call the SIIB offic this week to get sum info. abut the course and the its placemnts..i called thm up last week also but then thy said "the concerned person is absent" asked me to call this week..so i wll..and let u guys know wat thy told..i thnk its better to hav a talk with thm directly rather thn speculating ourselves..i saw sumones location as pune...wil request him/her to visit the collg and enquire abut all the aspects..if he/she can....and let us knw........aur haan loan to lena hi padega agr 8 lacs dena hai to.......:)

and jab placemnts ki baat khatam ho jaye to we can strt discussing on how to apply and abut the selection procedure