Emory University : Students taking questions

Hi Everyone We are a group of first year students at Emory University - Goizueta Business School, Atlanta, USA. We would love to answer any admission related or any other questions about the school. Please feel free to post your querries…

Hi Everyone

We are a group of first year students at Emory University - Goizueta Business School, Atlanta, USA. We would love to answer any admission related or any other questions about the school.

Please feel free to post your querries

Regards

Go Green Go Goizueta

Hi Everyone

We are a group of first year students at Emory University - Goizueta Business School, Atlanta, USA. We would love to answer any admission related or any other questions about the school.Please feel free to post your querries.

Regards

Go Green Go Goizueta

Nice Initiative :grab:. We would love to have your profile & profile "in general" of Indian Junta at EMORY !!!!!!

Thankx in Advance.
Azeem

Hi Azeem

We have a very diverse profile of indian Students at Emory. Past experiences include CAs, consultants, Bankers, Entreprenuers, Marketing, Engineers etc. Infact there is no typical profile. Though my batch has a higher percentage of those with engineering backgrounds but the same is not true for our senior batches. Infact the school has a very strong focus on maintaining the diversity in the class.

Indian Students have a significant presence at Emory and constitute the biggest pool of international students. Infact the school has very liberal admission requirements for Indian Students. There is no requirement of TOEFL and also the school recognizes 3 year bachelors degree. The school co-signs your loans therefore you do not need a US credit history or a co-signer for student loans.

As for my background. My undergrad was in Mechanical Engineering. I worked for 4 years at TATA Motors-Pune.

Regards

Akshat

Go Green Go Goizueta

I would also encourage all applicants to visit the following link

Goizueta Business School - Emory University - Best MBA, MBA Programs, Executive Education, Executive MBA, MEMBA, EMBA, Top Ranked Business School, Executive Education, Best BBA, MBA Programs, BBA Programs

You would find answers to many of your questions there.

I would also encourage you all to post your questions here instead of pm as you would be not only be helping yourself but also other applicants.

Hi,
Thanks for the initiative taken. How many Indians are there in your batch and what is the average GMAT score like among Indians? Also, do many students gets schols.

sanjeev

Sanjeev - I have posted my replies to your questions below

How many Indians are there in your batch?

- there are around 15 Indians who have come from India, but there are more who were working in the US prior to school and people of Indian origin living outside India.

and what is the average GMAT score like among Indians?

- there are no published statistics on the GMAT scores of Indians as an applicant pool per se, but if you see the school site, our batch has an average GMAT score in the 690 range.

Also, do many students gets schols?

- Students do get merit based scholarships and whether you are getting one or not is notified to you along with the admissions offer.

If you are located in the US, especially close to Atlanta, I would encourage you to write to the MBA admissions office and see whether there are any specific days coming up (there are days when the school hosts receptions for prospective students like welcome weekends) on which you could visit Goizueta and get a feel of how the school and people are.

Hope I have answered your questions, but feel free to ask more as you go along with your research.

regards,

Aditya

In addition to aditya's reply, here are some statistics from Businessweek as submitted by the school.

What percentage of full-time MBAs applied for some form of financial aid (including institutional scholarships, assistantships and loans) for the upcoming academic year? 100
What percentage of full-time MBAs will receive some form of financial aid (including institutional scholarships, assistantships, and loans) in the upcoming academic year? 76
Of the full-time MBA students who applied for financial aid for the upcoming academic year, what percentage will receive:
Institutional scholarships: 58
Assistantships (e.g., awarded $5,000 grant, but have to help a professor conduct research throughout the year): 0
Loans (private and government): 54
Mean financial aid package (including institutional scholarships, assistantships and loans) for MBAs for the upcoming academic year: $37,106.00
Median financial aid package (including institutional scholarships, assistantships and loans) for MBAs for the upcoming academic year: $36,500.00
Range of financial aid packages for MBAs:
$2,500.00 to $61,988.00
On what basis are scholarships awarded at your school? Academic Merit
How many full-tuition scholarships will the school award during the upcoming academic year? 31
Mean scholarships (do not include loan or assistantship awards!) awarded to those full-time MBAs receiving scholarships in the academic year since June 30, 2005: $24,037.00
If your program lasts two-years, of the full-time MBA students who receive an institutional scholarship (a no-strings-attached grant) in their first year of academic study, what percent receive the same amount of money or more in their second year of study? 100

Hi guys..

Its a really great initiative taken by you guys to help all the aplicants for Emory 07.

I want to know the difference between 1 yr and 2 yr MBA programs of Emory. As mentioned on the website, the avg exp for both the programs is same = 5 yrs. How far is this true in terms of international/indian applicants?

What are the placement oppurtunities after 1 yr course for career switchers like me?

How generous is emory in doling out scholarships?? With an avg profile (read 710/WE 3/engineer/fam biz) can we hope for a decent schol??

Thank you.

Entrepreneur

Hi guys..

Its a really great initiative taken by you guys to help all the aplicants for Emory 07.

I want to know the difference between 1 yr and 2 yr MBA programs of Emory. As mentioned on the website, the avg exp for both the programs is same = 5 yrs. How far is this true in terms of international/indian applicants?

What are the placement oppurtunities after 1 yr course for career switchers like me?

How generous is emory in doling out scholarships?? With an avg profile (read 710/WE 3/engineer/fam biz) can we hope for a decent schol??

Thank you.

Entrepreneur

Hi Entrepreneur

Thanks for your interest in Goizueta.

1) difference between 1 yr and 2 yr MBA programs
Broadly speaking 1 yr program is for those who are sure of the career path they want to pursue. 2 yr is for those who have a broad idea of their career path but are still unsure whether its a right decision. 1 yr is an accelerated program. You cover the same courses but they are of a shorter length as compared to 2 yr. Therefore you have to work harder. The placements are common so you apply to the same companies. This is actually suited for those who would like to save a year in school.

2) How far is this true in terms of international/indian applicants?

In general the indian applicants follows the same trend as the overal trend. There is not much of a difference wrt indian applicants.

3) What are the placement oppurtunities after 1 yr course for career switchers like me?

This is a difficult question. I am not sure of the specific area you are targetting. In general investment banking and consulting firms do require you to have an experience in their respective fields. An advantage of a two year course is that you can go for internships (for which prior work ex in the area is not a pre requitive), which enables you to overcome this requirement. If you can be more specific about the career options you are looking at, will contact the relevant folks and would be able to give a more specific answer.

4) How generous is emory in doling out scholarships??

I would say that emory is more generous as compared to other top US Schools in terms of scholarships and also co-signs your loans. There are variety of scholarships but they are all very competitive. I have already given the financial aid information above, Hope that helps you.

5) With an avg profile (read 710/WE 3/engineer/fam biz) can we hope for a decent schol??
This is a very difficult question as there are a lot of areas which are assessed. GMAT score is only one of them. Definetely i can say that an avg profile wont get you a scholarship (just kidding). The applicant pool is very competitive and therefore scholarships are awarded to the best of candidates. If there is a particular aspect of your profile which differentiates you from the rest, you do have a fair chance.

Hopefully i have answered all your questions. If you need any further clarifications, keep posting.

Regards

Akshat

Hi Everyone

We are having our midterms in the coming week, therefore there might be a delay in replies. Please bear with us.

Regards

Akshat

Awesome.....

Just the thread I was waiting for...
M in the process of wrapping up the essays for applying R1 to this wonderful school...
Resonating Core Value - is what I am stuck with.... 😃 Good question indeed!!

The only question I will have is about the timelines...
Will my application be considered R1, if I 'post' the packet before 1st Nov? Else I will need to rush up in case if the adcom expects the application packet to 'reach' them before 1st nov.. 😞

Thanks for your help,

Rightzzz

Awesome.....

The only question I will have is about the timelines...
Will my application be considered R1, if I 'post' the packet before 1st Nov? Else I will need to rush up in case if the adcom expects the application packet to 'reach' them before 1st nov.. 😞

Thanks for your help,

Rightzzz

I am not sure about your question. It seems you are submitting a paper application or is it just the transcripts and other additional materials? Can you be more specific. As per the present policies of admissions, they only accept online applications and you will have to take a special permission from them to submit a paper application. Therefore I would suggest that you post the supplementary material and parallely submit your essays online, this would give you enough time to work on your them.

The deadlines are for the receipt of the package. Having said that Emory reviews applications on a rolling basis within each deadline. Usually if you submit your online application in time, they might allow a grace period of 4-5 days for the receipt of supplementary materials. Anyway as their is still about 15 days for the deadline, try to send all the relevant material on time.

hi akshat,
i wanna know can we get thru the admission process if we have less years of work experience.Like if all other credentials are pretty good like great GMAT, good essays etc. then how good r my chances to get in? Do you know anyone admitted with less years of W/E?
THNX,
yash

Hey Guys,

Great initiative....

I know my question is a bit away from what the thread is for but still i wana ask this here coz many of you might have gone through the stage i am going through so its best to ask from experienced guys...

Can anyone of you from Delhi tell me which is the best consultant for applications, essays etc in Delhi??? If any of you from Delhi and took help from any consultant do tell me about your experiences and suggest me the best consultant you know in Delhi....

Regards
Pankaj

Only major trouble I have with my application is the recommendations. Only app school for which no online reco submission is available. Is this true or am I just blind and missing something here?

Barricuda Says
Only major trouble I have with my application is the recommendations. Only app school for which no online reco submission is available. Is this true or am I just blind and missing something here?

Great Question. I had missed this one earlier. Online recommendations are available with our applications too. The difference with other schools is that in the emory online application you can send the request for recommendation only after you have submitted your application. Once you have submitted your application, the link to submit online recommendation is activated. Actually you add up your recommenders before the application but the email request is sent to them after you have submitted your application. Also do remember that your application is deemed only complete only after at least two recommendations are submitted.

Therefore if you are unsure about the immediate availability of your recommenders after you have submitted your application, submit a paper recommendation. Though most of us here used the online recommendation.

If you are having a specific problem with the online application, i would be happy to pair you with the concerned personnel who would guide you through the whole process.

Regards

Akshat
hi akshat,
i wanna know can we get thru the admission process if we have less years of work experience.Like if all other credentials are pretty good like great GMAT, good essays etc. then how good r my chances to get in? Do you know anyone admitted with less years of W/E?
THNX,
yash

yash,

its the quality of experience that matters not quantity. i know a few people who had practically no experience but stellar qualifications and backgrounds that enabled them to get admitted in top US schools. Though personally, i would not recommend anyone to go for an MBA degree in US without work ex. Not only it is difficult to relate to concepts in class but also it is difficult to get jobs.

having said that, all the schools do require some minimum work ex. Therefore you would have to work out a story as to how you can compensate for the work experience. To add to that it is extremely difficult but not impossible.

On a personal note what do u mean by little less?
Barricuda Says

From their site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are required to submit two letters of recommendation. Please list the contact information for ALL your recommenders below. To edit this information click the 'Edit' button. To add a recommender, click the 'Add Recommender' button.

Recommenders will not have access to the online recommendation until you have submitted your application. Your recommenders will receive an email containing their login information. Please verify that you have entered all email addresses correctly. You should encourage your recommenders to add "@emory.edu" to their safe list to ensure that they receive the email.

Reminder: Please remember to download the Recommendation Form and send it to recommenders who do not plan to use the online option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps!!

Rightzzz

there is no hard and fast rule of submitting the online reco. but the school prefers it. so, i have submitted both . but the problem with online reco is the word limit which irritated my recommendors and they sent in the paper recos too 😃