UPSC CAPF Exam Pattern 2019
UPSC CAPF 2019 Exam Pattern
The exam is conducted in three stages and the exam pattern for all the stages is given below,
It has two papers in it and it is conducted on the same day. Each paper is evaluated separately.
|S.No||PAPERS||TOPIC||MARKS||TYPE OF QUESTIONS||MEDIUM OF EXAM|
|1||Paper I||General Ability and Intelligence||250||MCQ||English or Hindi|
|2||Paper II||General studies, essay and comprehension||PART A – 80||Conventional type||English or Hindi|
|PART B – 120|
The negative marks of about 0.33 will be deducted for every wrong answers. When the question is left unmarked no mark will be given whereas when two options are marked, 0.33 marks will be deducted for that particular question.
The essay writing can be done in English or Hindi whereas Precise writing, Comprehension and other language skills can be done only in English.
It has two parts, Part A and B. The candidate should enter the medium of essay writing in the attendance list as well as in the answer sheet in the exam hall. He or she shouldn’t change the medium of essay component.
Physical Efficiency Test and Medical Test
The candidates qualifying the written exam and meeting all the physical standards can take up the Physical Efficiency Test (PET).
|S.No||Cadre||Males||Females||No of chances|
|1||100m Race||16 seconds||18 seconds||–|
|2||800m Race||3 minutes 45 seconds||4 minutes 45 seconds||–|
|3||Long jump||3.5 m||3 m||3|
|4||Shot put (7.26 Kgs)||4.5 m||–||–|
Pregnant women are disqualified from proceeding further.
All the above tests, as well as the medical tests, will be conducted under the head of Nodal authority appointed by the Ministry of Home Affairs within 15 days from the declaration of results.
Physical and Medical standards
The following physical and medical standards must be met by the candidate to take up the exam.
The minimum requirement for men and women is given in the below table
|1||Height||165 cms||157 cms|
|2||Chest (Unexpanded)||81 cms||Not needed|
|3||Weight||50 Kgs||46 Kgs|
However, for the detailed height and weight chart, the candidate can refer the notification given in the official website.
|Better Eye||Worse Eye|
|Glasses or LASIK surgery|
|Refractive error limit||-4.00 for Myopia
+4.00 for Hypermetropia
|Color Perception||CP III by ISIHARA Plates|
Relaxations when LASIK is done
Age : 18 to 35 years
Axial length : 21-26 microns
Corneal thickness : 425 microns
Pre Lasik error : 6D
The time period after surgery: The operation must be done at least 6 months before the CAPFs exam
2.2 Carrying Angle
For a male it is 15˚ whereas it is 20˚ for female.
- No degree of deafness or ear discharge.
- No atresia, exostosis, neoplasm, tinnitus, vertigo or no history of a recurrent earache.
No history of DNS, atrophic rhinitis, tubercular ulceration, chronic sinusitis.
No enlarged lymph nodes, thyroid related diseases or inability to extend the neck fully or any spine disease or cervical vertebrae.
No evidence of pyorrhea. He / She must have a sound number of teeth for effective mastication.
2.7 Venereal Disease and chronic skin disease
No trace of the venereal and skin diseases must be found.
- No impairment in speech
- He / She should not have any indication of TB, arthritis, High BP, Diabetes, Asthma or any heart disease.
- There shouldn’t be any swelling in the body parts.
- Chest, limbs, hands, and feet must be well-formed without any defect.
- There shouldn’t be any fracture in bones.
- No congenital deformations.
- In case of male, the testicles and scrotum must be in normal size.
- The candidate should not suffer from Tachycardia or Bradycardia, varicose vein, Hernia or from any bodily defects that will hinder the performance of the aspirant.
The candidate can imprint the religious symbol in their left forearm or in the dorsum of the arm if he/she wishes to have a tattoo in their body. The size must be less than ¼ of that part.
The test is carried out for 150 marks. The candidate who got rejected in the PET and appeal for the Review Medical Board will also be called for the Interview. The interview is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. The candidates appearing for personal interview should submit the DAF indicating their preference of force.
Based on the marks in written exam and interview, final merit list is prepared and depending on which the candidates will be given an appointment.
Tips to prepare for the exam
- The syllabus is too basic so the aspirant can prepare their schooling English and grammar to clear the exam.
- The detailed syllabus is also released by the authority so the aspirant can search for some good books based on the topics.
- Visiting the public library can help update the current affairs and general knowledge of the candidate. Since a lot of books, magazines and newspapers will be available in the library.
- Many mock tests are available online. So the candidate can take up those tests to feel confident about it.
- For the physical efficiency test, the candidate should keep their body fit to meet the physical standards.
- A good night sleep and healthy habits will make the body fit.
- The aspirant must be disease free to serve under the CAPF. So aspirant should give more importance to their health.
- Daily exercise and practice will make the candidate fit for serving under CAPF.
- He/ she should avoid junk foods and bad food habits to have a healthy gut which paves a way for the healthy mind.
- Meditation can help a lot to calm down the thoughts which make the body stronger.