XLRI GDPI Experiences 2016-18

58 Posts  ·  629 Users
About this group

Aspirants, who are having your GDPIs, please share your experiences in this thread as to how was your overall experience,your centre,gd topic,pi experience & time allotted for it,etc.

Page 1 of 6
Dolna
@Dolna  ·  28 karma

Exactly how much weightage is given to past acads by XLRI? I have decent X and XII scores, but abysmal BA graduation ( Calcutta Univ) less than 60%.  Should I even prepare for XAT? 

2 likes1 comment
achyut1989
@achyut1989XLRI Jamshedpur  ·  2,197 karma

all my acads are between 60 and 75.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  1 like  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Does anyone has the PDF of Industry relations and labour laws by suresh shrivastava or labour and indutrial laws by PK padhi?  

Or any other book on labour laws? Please comment on this post.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have 94.33%ile in XAT and cutoff for HRM was 92.55. Do I have any chance of making it? Acads are decent. X-94.5, XII-95.4, CGPA-8.74(till 6th sem)

CAT-98.4;IIFT-99.29;NM-227;XAT-94.33;SNAP-99.66
1 comment
achyut1989
@achyut1989XLRI Jamshedpur  ·  2,197 karma

I made with a 97 score when the cutoff was 95.GDPI should be your focus of prep. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  1 like  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

This was pending for a long time. It's just my two cents which might help future aspirants, especially those with an 'unconventional'/'abnormal' academic backgrounds (non engineers/non commerce background).

XLRI HRM GDPI, Mumbai

Profile: Dentist

Work ex: 6 months

Xth: 92.15

XII: 77.64

Graduation (BDS): 65.80

XAT Percentile: 96.265                 GK:92.52

GD Topic: Are happy managers more productive?

Entered the fray after a good 5 minutes. Started off with good examples. Had about 5-6 entries all with valid points. It was an above average GD. The discussion didn't turn into a fish market. As a group we somewhat managed to reach a consensus.

Interview panel: P1 (M,50-60yrs), P2 (M,40-45yrs), P3 (M,30-35yrs)

Entered the interview hall, it was a pretty long walk from the door to the interviewer's table. P1 told me to sit. P3 asked for the file which had my academic records/certificates.

P1: So, you are a dentist. Tell us why do you want to do MBA? (Expected question; and they did expect a well thought answer.)

A: Healthcare scenario in India is bad. The sector is very fragmented. There aren't too many opportunities for young healthcare professionals. Starting your own practice involves massive investment. On one hand we complain about too many doctors being churned out by the system where as on the other hand we are faced with a dearth of healthcare professionals and services in most parts of our country. 

P1: But why specifically HR ? How would you relate Dentistry to HR? Why not take up something like Healthcare Management or Hospital Administration?

A: Core MBA will help me interact with people from different educational backgrounds and not limit me to just healthcare....promote exchange of ideas etc...

P3: So what will you do if you become the Health minister of India?

A: Gave 3 valid points. Spoke about protecting doctors, improving rural healthcare scenario, curbing female infanticide (my video topic was about the PCPNDT Act).

P3: Do you know about the stock market ? Why do you think the healthcare sector is not affected by changes in the stock market?

A: I don't have a lot of knowledge about the stock market. However, I will try my best to answer. Amelioration of healthcare services in the interior of India is very poor. Most people do not use/cannot use the healthcare services. For eg, most deliveries in India still happen at home and not in hospitals, with the exception of the state of Gujarat.

P3: Which oath did you take when you graduated? Tell me something about bleaching of teeth

A: Apollonia's pledge which is very similar to the Hippocrates' oath. Explained in detail about bleaching and tooth whitening.

P2: Why such a low graduation score?

A: Dentistry is both a science and art. The science part can be learnt during the course of 5 years, however the art has to be developed and practiced over many years to master it. In addition, the course has 50% marks for theory and 50% for practicals. And the practical marks are very subjective to individual examiners and the condition of the patients we treat. 

P2 wrote down two math problems on a sheet of paper. Gave me the sheet and asked me to solve them. One was a problem on number series and the other was on lines and graphs. Luckily I managed to solve both. 

While solving the sums they asked me about where my college was, how I traveled everyday, compulsory attendance in college etc.

P2: What do you think about the GD? Do you feel there was group-ism? Did people target you?

A: No sir. It was a very balanced GD. People were given an opportunity to express their views and were also promptly cut down. I feel that I did manage to put forth a couple of good points and so did my colleagues.

P2 smiling: Tell us honestly. Do you feel others ganged up against you?

Me, smiling back, no sir. it was a well balanced GD.

P3 going through my file, tell us about the clinical study which you conducted in college. Tell us about any one stressful situation you faced at work and how you overcame it.

I explained all about my study. Told them about how I managed a minor medical emergency while treating a patient. They seemed pretty satisfied with the answer. 

P2 with a smile, we are done, you may leave. 

I smiled back, thanked them and walked out, only to realize that this entire experience had lasted a good 40 minutes.

P.S: Sorry for the long post. My answers were a lot more comprehensive and this is just a summary to limit the length of this post.

Verdict: HRM waitlist 79, converted in the first list.

8 likes4 comments
Load more comments  ·  1 of 4
sanchit.telang
@sanchit.telang  ·  19 karma

@achyut1989 Too much free time.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Do all the coverts get some sort of 'xlri key' or something like that?

6 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 6
shivamgargdelhi
@shivamgargdelhi  ·  20 karma

@nvichare I saw it on fb, sadly I don't have the pic

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
am46an
@am46anXLRI Jamshedpur  ·  383 karma

You can buy souvenirs (including keychains) from the campus, if that is what you are talking of.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

XLRI 2016-18 Tracker

99.84 in CAT'15; 99.71 in XAT'15; GEM (ISM-D, 2012), PGP-IIM Calcutta
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Results out!! Inspect element working now. Method explained below: 1. Go to http://acad.xlri.ac.in/result2016/fresults/ 2. Click on GMP results 3. Right click on GMP tab and click on Inspect Element (Q) 4. A source code will appear at the bottom of the screen. 5. Go down the source code and click on the side of the select id = "prgcd" name = "prgcd" code. 6. option value = G will appear. Click on G and edit it to H (for HRM) or B (for BM). Again click on the side of the changed code. 7. GMP will appear. Click on it and change it to HRM or BM. Close the source code bar.

1 like2 comments
teja963
@teja963  ·  0 karma

DUDE, what will the page show for wait-list candidates?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
teja963
@teja963  ·  0 karma

will it be like "you are in the wait list " or " sorry, you are not selected for the program" ?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Results out

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

XAT 99.67; GK about 94,  GEM

X/XII/GRAD-  91.4/74.4/8.99

Had an average GDPI for both BM and HRM. What are the chances guys!!!!!  XL the only call I have

3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
am46an
@am46anXLRI Jamshedpur  ·  383 karma

You have a great profile. Decent Chances. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
chelzard
@chelzardMDI Gurgaon  ·  173 karma

Converted?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Please suggest. honest opinions required. Which one is better considering growth in a LONG run..may be 10 years down the line? I have 4.5 years of exp in IT.

GLIM Chennai
XLRI (HR)
ximb (BM)
6 comments177 answers
You can view the comments after answering or skipping this question.