XLRI 2007-09: Above 97%ile and no calls

63 Posts  ·  38 Users
About this group
This thread is for people who scored well in XAT 2007 but still didn't get calls Please post your profile/%iles/and program applied for
Page 1 of 7
@akil_turbo & ysunil - I think its sheer hard luck you guys missed out.

I met 3 people (freshers) who got around 69% in QA and 95+% in VA who got thru PMIR . Not sure how tho!! :wow:

From what I got to know that they have met the adcom and have presented their case.

were they from any of the categories??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
VA 97.XX
QA 84.88
LR 97.7X
Overall 98.74

Dunno why i didnt get a call fer PM & IR...fresher hoon...isliye shayad..:sad:

10th 90
12th 76
grad 9.01

@akil_turbo & ysunil - I think its sheer hard luck you guys missed out.

I met 3 people (freshers) who got around 69% in QA and 95+% in VA who got thru PMIR . Not sure how tho!! :wow:

From what I got to know that they have met the adcom and have presented their case.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Constantine and others: Every B-School in india, from IIM-A to **** suffers from the problems you have pointed out. Is it fair? No. But, realistically if there was a better way of doing it, it would've been done. It's quite natural to feel the way you're feeling right now, but imagine... thousands of students take these entrances for limited seats. The cut-off's gotta be somewhere, and undoubtedly, there would be a lotta guys who just barely miss out on those. I faced this problem in last year's CAT. The only thing you can do is make the best of the opportunities that you've been presented with or give it your best shot next year.

And regarding the interview, dude... you should know this by now. Paraphrasing the golden rule of interviews from pretty much every coaching institute in the country..... "Everything you hear in an interview is complete Bullshit!!!!". There are rarely any spot offers or spot rejections. There are people who've been selected into the top IIMs after having their certificates thrown in their faces.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
me too in the same boat (or ship as there is lot of crowd)
98.1 percentile

VA -84.XX
QA-93.98
LA-97.88

X--88.67

XII-- 93.08

GRAD-8.04

WORK EX -2 YEARS
applied for BM

why dint i get any call what is the use of this score can i use this anywhere now.

MALAI

i think because of VA scores, and also QA scores,as they have said the cut offs were 96, 95.6, 95- depending on what was the score of the caller!:)still not sure, though!
"How important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong" - Into the Wild
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
98.1 percentile

VA -84.XX
QA-93.98
LA-97.88

X--88.67

XII-- 93.08

GRAD-8.04

WORK EX -2 YEARS
applied for BM

why dint i get any call what is the use of this score can i use this anywhere now.

MALAI

Bro, u got less than 85 %ile in VA.
I think that is the reason.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello everyone

my scores & profile:

XAT - 98.1

VA - 68+ (need any more reasons to say y i could not get a call)
QA - 95.67
LR - 98.65

36 months of work exp in an R & D org

X - 80.16
XII - 80.8
B TECH - 65.7

Applied for both programs

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

98.1 percentile

VA -84.XX
QA-93.98
LA-97.88

X--88.67

XII-- 93.08

GRAD-8.04

WORK EX -2 YEARS
applied for BM

MALAI

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Following point is mentioned on the site where scores are displayed:

Performance in XAT is one of several criteria used to judge the suitability of a candidate for admission to XLRI or any of other XAT Member Institutes. Each Institute independently decides how to use XAT scores on the basis of its own policies.

So, the other info which XLRI has apart from our scores and essay are:
1. 10th %
2. 12th % and stream
3. Graduation % and stream and college.
4. Yrs of Experience and stream.
5. Your Sex (Normally insitutes consider this also to maintain a healthy ratio)

Also, they must not have selected/rejected a candidate by manual process.

Considering all this things, I do not feel there is any flaw in there selection process. only thing is they are not disclosing exact cut-offs, which was the case with most of the intitutes last year also.:)

Charush

Charush, if you just happen to go through the previous posts, there ARE flaws...........and whatever criteria u mentioned, I and many others have no such credentials which can force them to reject us.....

And if we are talking about IIM's here, I would like to point out one thing.

Suppose XLRI has (if at all) a similar criteria like IIMA(or for that matter some other institute) that sectional > 95.XX and total > 98.5, and again, suppose that I miss out in one section by 0.XX %ile, i would be sure of one thing at least: the people who were selected had better score than me in any particular way you see.

But not in case with XL......when I can see people with less score than me in two sections, and better in one section being called, I question-"Why not me??" I am not against them, they deserve their calls........Had XL told me a concrete criteria,I would have accepted it gracefully.....

XL is not the end of life, I agree.......I might not have cleared the PI, maybe.................but its a matter of just surrendering every time to the system.....are we so gullible that we will keep on adjusting ourselves to the system and keep on believing it unconditionally??
"How important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong" - Into the Wild
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Today, in this Superbly competetive world, even a difference of 0.5 marks, in the 90's, cause Ur Percentiles in the section over/Below the cutoffs...How Justified it is that we keep ABSOLUTE Cutoffs.
agreed. But even iimA has come up with abs cutoffs. (and who else than evergreen_cool wud hav been suffered frm that? he missed cutoff in 1 sectn by 0.11%le). so the pt. is this is not the case only with XL but indian bschools selectn proc. itself. they lay more emphasis on apti tests.

XL paper clearly Mentions "CANDIDATES ARE REQUIRED TO DEMONSTRATE EQUAL COMPETENCE IN EACH SECTION"

I am getting a most Even split. 93,94.5, 95, 98 Overall
What Else do U want??

Is my IQ lesser than a guy who solved one EXTRA qn(Coz he gave a min extra to QA), and got an 88 in DI???
Tell me that in Advance, and I wud change my name, if I don't get a 99 in QA !!
agree. and if they anyway donot prefer even split then the best thing is they shudnt write any such instructn in Qn paper ......so atleast students can decd on their own how much time to b given for a particular sctn.
But this problem is ther even with iims. till last yr atleast. it was always beleived that iimA and B lay emphasis on ur VA score whereas iimC on QA score.

But XLRI and IIMB (sorry for being out of context here.....but i think both suffer frm simlr problems) won't. If it does, there will be TRANSPARENCY in the system. How would they THEN be able to take in students who THEY seem fit on THEIR criterions?? They would lose their autonomy of selection, if they declare it openly.
They hence embark on Guirella warfare.

I Miss the alleged PMIR & BM cutoffs by 1.5%ile. With this sample size, it shall be 0.25/0.5 marks.
If Scoring a 0.25 marks more, means I m MORE qualified to join XLRI, I am sorry to say, but thank you XLRI for NOT considering me!! I have Lost faith in you.
frnd but dont u think this is the issue with the whole selectn proc itself in india and till they have only written exams as primary mode of elimination till then this is going to continue and here i agree with blackphonix's reasoning.

This is first time v hav seen so many puys with %le in range of 98.XX + (both in cat and xat) are w/o calls.
may b the overall procedure itself sucks.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Following point is mentioned on the site where scores are displayed:

Performance in XAT is one of several criteria used to judge the suitability of a candidate for admission to XLRI or any of other XAT Member Institutes. Each Institute independently decides how to use XAT scores on the basis of its own policies.

So, the other info which XLRI has apart from our scores and essay are:
1. 10th %
2. 12th % and stream
3. Graduation % and stream and college.
4. Yrs of Experience and stream.
5. Your Sex (Normally insitutes consider this also to maintain a healthy ratio)

Also, they must not have selected/rejected a candidate by manual process.

Considering all this things, I do not feel there is any flaw in there selection process. only thing is they are not disclosing exact cut-offs, which was the case with most of the intitutes last year also.:)

Charush

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...