XIC entrance exam prepration

1,396 Posts  ·  899 Users
About this group
(Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai)? Has anyone here studied in XIC or taken entrance test for XIC(2010)? What was the difficulty level of the entrance exam? Please provide tips and advice .
Page 1 of 140

Hey anyone looking for accommodation near xic?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey, do we have anybody here who already appeared for this year exam. Can you help us with how the paper was and all?

1 comment
monurrra12
@monurrra12  ·  0 karma
You can check out the below link. I have written about the exam and the interview process. https://guftagu11.blogspot.com/2019/05/xic-entrance-exam-and-interview.html?m=1
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Guys ive applied for both adma and masscom courses. I've my oets on 5th and 12th respectively. Will they conduct personal interviews on same day?

9 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 9
geetap
@geetap  ·  0 karma

@coolvps67 Hey! Could you help us with the subjective part of exam? Like what kind of questions were asked?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
sdavnishtha
@sdavnishtha  ·  0 karma

@coolvps67 Did your GD/PI go well? If yes, there are chances you'll get through.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the previous year entrance paper of XIC's AICP "Advance integrated communications program" ?

1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi guys.. i am appearing for xic oet this year for the course of advertising and marketing. can someout please help me how to prepare for it? and what are the topics that they give for essays and opinion writing? please help me out.

1 like2 comments
Zarakhan8
@Zarakhan8  ·  0 karma

@sejal997 Hey, I'm preparing for xic oet '19 too! I have the same questions. Just in case, if you find something please let me know! I'm gonna go for journalism and mass comm, I was considering adversting earlier. What do people usually submit in their portfolio for advertising?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Vaishali.p_27
@Vaishali.p_27  ·  0 karma

@Zarakhan8 i also applied for journalism and mass communication

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Guys, found an interesting blog by pratik ramesh pappali. 

Those who are worried about the OET, don't be. As a person who gave CAT, XAT, MAT and a dozen other MBA entrance exams that rhyme with rat this year, I found Xavier OET to be the easiest exams I wrote in recent times. Most of the questions, let's say 50% of them, were 'match the following' type of questions. This included matching difficult words(which weren't difficult really) with their synonyms and matching idioms with their meanings. You can solve most of the synonyms and idioms just by using your common sense, not need to be a pro in English. Then there was multiple choice questions in which we had to identify the names of famous personalities'. Photos of the personalities included people like Ratan Tata, MF Hussein, Arundhati Roy, and many other similar famous individuals. I was able to name 8 out of 10 personalities. The 2 I couldn't answer were cricketers, (I personally hate cricket, sorry) one Indian and one Australian (I think. Could be from England too. He was fairer than Kristen Stewart so definitely not Indian). Then there were questions in which we had to match brands with their companies. For example the brand Oral B belongs to which company? We were also shown some logos and were asked to identify them. The ones I got were Rolls Royce, Disney, ABN Bank, etc. Also we were asked to match the taglines of some news channels and business magazines, where again, a little use of common sense and presence of mind will help you match all of them. Make sure you get plenty of sleep before coming for the interview.

Mine was 11 am to 12:30 am batch. But since all of the registered candidates reached much earlier, they started the exam at 10:30 itself. After the test was over we were asked to sit outside the lab for 10 minutes. Then a lady came and announced the name of 5 to 10 students who were shortlisted for the interview (Which included my name. Yay!) and others were asked to leave and try again next year. Those of us shortlisted for the interview were taken to a waiting room and told us to wait (duh!). There we were shown a short video regarding the courses offered on the college and stuff on a projector. Each one of us were called one after the other for the personal interview. I think each interview lasted an average of 10 minutes. I was the last one to be called for the interview. The interview panel included a lady and a guy, both in their late thirties or early forties. The lady did most of the talking and the guy only asked a few questions. They tried to be as friendly as they could and make me comfortable. The lady asked me why I would like to do advertising, why I did three bachelors degrees (I did BCA morning class, CS Engineering evening class and BA English weekend class. Pathetic, I know.) and how I managed it, about my family members, and other questions irrelevant to advertising. She told me that I scored the maximum marks in OET (Yay!) and they are quite impressed by it. Then the guy asked me questions related to Shakespeare (Because I've done BA English) and a few current affair questions like which politicians recently admitted to having an affair (Answer is Digvijay Singh). To be honest, my interview went really well since I easily answered all of their questions. I was sure I'll get selected. But the tragedy happened in the last minute. The lady said "You're a very good candidate but you're too young for the course" (My year of birth is 1994). "Every other candidate here is at least 3 or 4 years elder than you, hence we can't select you. Please come back after a few years". I was like "What the f**k!?". I'm not kidding, I said it out uncensored, loud and clear. The lady said 'You're in an interview and you can't use such language here'. I apologized profusely and said that it was a spur of the moment. I tried to convince them that even though I'm young I'm as matured as the other candidates but they wouldn't budge. I said thank you and left.

1) Go to the websites of Hindustan Unilever, Dabur, Procter&Gamble; and Britannia and go through their products. Don't just go through them, memorize them.

2) Read the current affairs of the past couple of weeks from the Times of India. (Not The Hindu). Why? Because during a random irrelevant conversation about current affairs, the guy in the interview panel who asks all the questions admitted that the only newspaper he reads is The Times of India.
PS: No need to memorize every article. Just go through all of them.

3) Memorize the taglines of famous magazines and news channels.

4) Get plenty of sleep before the test. At least 8 hours.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Edit at 5th May 14': Just noticed that I forgot to add details about the Subjective section of the OET. After you finish writing the Objective part of the test and click on finish (Or end?), the 1 hour timer stops and a new 30 minute timer starts. And yeah the Subjective questions pops up immediately. There are just three questions in this section and you are supposed to finish them in the alloted thirty minutes.

Q.1) You are shown a weird picture (like really weird) and you are supposed to give it a suitable title and commentary for it. I guess this was the creative writing question. Even after an extensive search on google images, I couldn't find the picture that I was shown. Let me explain it to you. Imagine a gold fish. The gold fish is wearing a strap-on shark fin (Like this: www.amazon.com/Shark-Costume-Accessory-Party-Beach/dp/B00BVR66D6) on it's back. It is swimming on the top of a sea (Kind of illogical because gold fishes are known to swim only on the bottom of the sea). There are Pelicans (Or maybe they were Storks or Cranes or Herons. Just white fish-eating birds with long beaks) flying on top of the gold fish. The birds can not see the gold fish, only the strap-on shark fin, because the gold fish is inside the water and only the shark fin is sticking out. I think the word limit was 100 words.

Q.2) You are shown a news article, and you are supposed to write your opinion about it. After a little google-ing, I managed to find the article I was shown in my test(Yay!). Here it is: www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/brandline/mahindra-bets-on-india-rising/article2365783.ece . I think the word limit was 200 words.

Q.3) You are given a word or a phrase and you are supposed to write a 250 word long essay on it. The phrase I got was 'Breaking news'. The guy who sat beside me in the computer lab got 'Television Serials' (I sneaked a peak when I got up after finishing my exam). He was giving his OET for the Film and Television course though.

Now let me tell you the views I had while writing this section. Even though I was completely chilled out while writing the Objective exam, I became nervous and started freaking out when I saw the Subjective section. A goldfish with a shark fin was beyond creepy for me. Also, I felt time allotted to us in this section was way on the lower side. It took me 10 minutes to finish the first question and 15 minutes to finish the second, which left me with only 5 minutes to write a 250 word long essay. You can guess how that might've been for me. The ability to type fast is one thing and thinking of relevant points is another. I barely got to write 100 words because the timer stopped ticking right then.

1) You'll be shortlisted for the personal interview only on the basis of your Objective section score. How you wrote your Subjective section doesn't play any role whatsoever in your shortlisting process.

2) When I went to the interview hall for the interview, the lady panelists was holding a print out of the Subjective section of my test. She also had a copy of my 'statement of purpose' (remember the 200 word essay you wrote while registering for the course online?) with her.

3) She asked me a few silly questions regarding my answers in the Subjective section. She told me that I had forgotten to write a suitable heading for the first question (The weird picture one) and she asked me what the suitable heading would be.

4) I felt the male panelist was least interested in my Subjective section answers because he didn't even peek at the printout, let alone reading it. Maybe he would've gone through them after I left. Or maybe he would read them weeks later when they finally select the destined students for the course. I can't say for sure.

5) I told the panelists that 30 minutes is a very short time to write meaningful contents of 550 words. They heartily nodded their heads in agreement.

1) Practice typing. Your typing speed plays a big role in the Subjective section. Avoid using SMS lingo while writing essays. Also avoid punctuation and grammatical mistakes.

2) Quality over quantity. The length should matter far less than the quality of the writing. Rather a short high-quality essay than a useless high-quantity essay.

3) Plan the time wisely. When you click the 'next' button after finishing a question, you can't go back to it, even if you have ample time left (Forgot to add, this is the case for Objective section too). The first question is of 100 words, second is of 200 words and third is of 250 words. Mentally allot reasonable time for each.

4) Chill. You'll screw up the essays if you are stressed.

5) Drink lots of water beforehand so that your body stays hydrated and fresh throughout the test. But with water comes the need for bathroom breaks. Don't let too much water cause you to nervously wiggle in your seat during the test. Once you arrive at the exam center, stop in the restroom to empty your bladder so that you won't need to "go" in the middle of the test. XIC's washroom is in the second floor.

5 likes2 comments
Avantika07
@Avantika07  ·  3 karma

Thanks for this. I think this is the first thing about oet that I saw explains a lot about the process.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Avantika07
@Avantika07  ·  3 karma

Also, one more thing. Do they have negative markings?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey, I am preparing for Journalism. Can anyone suggest me some books or materials to crack OET ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Is there anyone here giving the XIC OET for Journalism and Mass communication this year? 

5 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 5
siddesh8
@siddesh8  ·  0 karma

@Pratikrp - check out his blog profile to know everything about XIC OET in detail @sadaharu05

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Tara63
@Tara63  ·  6 karma

Yes I am! Where there is ample material available for the Ad/Pr courses, there is hardly any for the journalism one. Like, do we also get the brand logo and tagline questions?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Learn from the best Mentors!

Now get admission in biggest top Business schools?

MBAP creates Success Stories! Be one of them!  

Click on the link to know more! http://bit.ly/MBAPathshala 

A normal girl with huge dreams.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...