XAT 2007 RC-VA Discussion

38 Posts  ·  51 Users
About this group
Guys with XAT over let us now discuss its questions The word matching questions I have marked the follwing Impuslive Conclusion Contrived Nightmare---Crucible Tyke------- Juvenile ( Not matching) Don't remember others
Page 1 of 4
maxximus
@maxximus  ·  6,421 karma
MY TAKE ON CRUCIBLE : NONE OF THE ABOVE

though i ve marked adversity ??:

REASON:
Millers title, The Crucible, is appropriate for the play. A crucible is a container made of a substance that can resist great heat ; a crucible is also defined as a severe test. Within the context of the play the term takes on a new meaning: not only is the crucible a test, but a test designed to bring about change or reveal an individuals true character. The witch trials serve as a metaphorical crucible, which burns away the characters outer shells to reveal their true intentions and character beneath

SO APART FROM CAULDRON IT ALSO MEANS A SEVERE TEST

hi...i agree with that...thinking on the same lines, i marked none of these...nightmare does not suit the context as the training isnt sumthing abstract...adversity wud be a negative term while crucible does not have a negative connotation....my take is...none of these...
www.ExpertsGlobal.com | Recommended: 15 Full Length GMAT Practice Tests
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Of course, nobody can be sure. But, my thought process goes something like this:
90 %ile in CAT was around 21-22 which translates to 5.xx marks. Agreed, CAT verbal was tougher, but here, it was not a lot easier. Also, it was only a 40-minute section instead of a 50 minute section. So, there is very very little chance that it should go beyond 15 (3 times the CAT verbal cut-off:wow:). Something tells me it will be even lower.

But, its all conjecture. XL varies its cutoff percentiles as well. So, no point speculating.

Buddy, there seems to have been some misunderstanding. ashishpatna was referring to overall cutoffs for 90%ile and not for verbal section, and that's what even I referred to...

As far as Verbal is concerned, I definitely concur with you that 90%ile mark would be less than 15...It would be close to 10-11 in my opinion.

I think 15-18 would be reasonable... The section wasn't exactly a cakewalk you know.. What with 5 options and everything?

Hugz,
Kitty.

Plumber Says
It should be 20 in my opinion. Isn't 15 too low, max?

Of course, nobody can be sure. But, my thought process goes something like this:
90 %ile in CAT was around 21-22 which translates to 5.xx marks. Agreed, CAT verbal was tougher, but here, it was not a lot easier. Also, it was only a 40-minute section instead of a 50 minute section. So, there is very very little chance that it should go beyond 15 (3 times the CAT verbal cut-off:wow:). Something tells me it will be even lower.

But, its all conjecture. XL varies its cutoff percentiles as well. So, no point speculating.

guyz acc to me va was total shitty section..in vocab u could not b sure abt..similar like last year....but solace was critical and pj...which were on the easier side..guess every1 wd have taken that...
after going thro rc questions..most of them looked inferential..hence did only 1 rc...my attempts in this section were pretty low...8 marks...

overall i thot paper was comfortable than last year...last year xat was the shittiest paper ever..

maxwriter Says
That score I guess is double of what it should be. 90%ile, most probably will be
It should be 20 in my opinion. Isn't 15 too low, max?
maxwriter Says
That score I guess is double of what it should be. 90%ile, most probably will be
max jee i thnk it wud be like 18 to 20 instead. ne1 can be correct though.

hey...can anyone throw some light on wat will be likely scores required for 80 percentiles in each section..?

I too think that nightmare is the only best option because

1) The degree shown in the text is much higher than that for adversity.
2) cauldron is literally what crucible is
3) crucible is contextually used a no of times to show that u r in the worst situation
4) I also marked it as Nightmare

ashishpatna Says
If u scor overall arnd 23-25 then you are on a safer bet of betting close to or above 90 %ile in Xat this yr