Word Usage for CAT2013

13 Posts  ·  44 Users
About this group
Word usage questions had always appeared since the Online Version of the CAT.-Lets discuss them in detail here.-Link to last year's thread,http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/verbal-ability/word-usage-cat-2012-t-83419/p-3579370/r-3964172?page=1
Page 1 of 2

hi guys.. please tell me TECHNIQUES to master WORD USAGE TYPE QUESTIONS ? 

CAN CAN
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

does anyone have any systematic material for Word usage.

1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
OA for SET 2

@scrabbler @ChirpiBird @kleppner @mohita.mundra

1. (d) Wear can be used as a noun that describes the fact of wearing something (designed for wear). Wear can also be used to describe the amount or type of use that something has over a period of time. Wear can also mean 'to have something on your body as a piece
of clothing, a decoration, etc. or to have your hair in a particular style; to have a beard or moustache. Wear off means fading out or slowly reducing. The correct sentence (d) should be “You're wearing well—only a few grey hairs!” wear well means to stay in good condition/health.

2.(a) The correct sentence should be “I need the up-to-date sales figures but I can never pin him down at the office.” To pin someone down means to find somebody and make them answer a question or tell you something you need to know. In golf, a pin is a stick with a flag on top of it, placed in a hole so that players can see where they are aiming for. Pin is also used for a person's legs. for two pins is an idiom that is used to say that you would like to do something, even though you know that it would not be sensible.

PGP 2014-16, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

my stake for set 2

1. d 2. d
Passion Defines Life!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@nramachandran said:
SET-21.WEAR(a) These woollen suits are not designed for wear in hot climates.(b) You should get years of wear out of that carpet.(c) She wears her hair long.(d) You're wearing off well—only a few grey hairs!-2.PIN(a) I need the up-to-date sales figures but I can never pin him up at the office.(b) The ball stopped five feet short of the pin.(c) He's not as quick on his pins as he used to be.(d) For two pins I'd tell her what I really think of her.
1.a(designed to wear?) and 2.a(pin down)

Only Time will tell.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@kleppner said:
@nramachandranI will go for d and d.Wearing off context doesnt seem correct in case of a person.In the second the expression For two pins is incorrect. It should be two pence.
"For two pins" is an archaic slang for "for two pence"....it means "at the slightest provocation" or "if you give me a reason"...so I think it is acceptable usage...

regards
scrabbler

Don't Sir me 😡 I will not respond
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@nramachandran
I will go for d and d.

Wearing off context doesnt seem correct in case of a person.

In the second the expression For two pins is incorrect. It should be two pence.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@nramachandran said:
SET-21.WEAR(a) These woollen suits are not designed for wear in hot climates.(b) You should get years of wear out of that carpet.(c) She wears her hair long.(d) You're wearing off well—only a few grey hairs!-2.PIN(a) I need the up-to-date sales figures but I can never pin him up at the office.(b) The ball stopped five feet short of the pin.(c) He's not as quick on his pins as he used to be.(d) For two pins I'd tell her what I really think of her.

I'd go for d and a.

First mein "wearing off" is not correct in context, it would be used something like "the paint on the walls is wearing off"

Second mein it should be "pin him down"...."pin up" is what you can do to a poster not a person.

regards
scrabbler

Don't Sir me 😡 I will not respond
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

SET-2

1.WEAR
(a) These woollen suits are not designed for wear in hot climates.
(b) You should get years of wear out of that carpet.
(c) She wears her hair long.
(d) You're wearing off well—only a few grey hairs!
-
2.PIN
(a) I need the up-to-date sales figures but I can never pin him up at the office.
(b) The ball stopped five feet short of the pin.
(c) He's not as quick on his pins as he used to be.
(d) For two pins I'd tell her what I really think of her.

PGP 2014-16, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@nramachandran : Good to see this thread.!

PS: Let ppl contirbute their answers. You can then give the OA. May after 10 replies or EOD.. Thanks for starting the thread.
IIM Raipur | Class of 2014-16
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...