Word Game for CAT 2012

281 Posts  ·  123 Users
About this group
Hi Guys, [image] CAT 2011 season is over.. Lets start the preparation for CAT 2012 [image][image] Here are few important links.. http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/english-resources/61935-word-game-for-cat-2011-a.html http://www.pagalgu...
Page 1 of 29
Unique way to remember words :)
1. abash - Embarass someone

To learn divide this word into two parts - ab & ash

story - ab(amitabh bachan) ne ash se shaadi kar li , ye dekh kar abhishek embarass ho gaye.

2. acclimate - adjust to climate

To learn divide this word into two parts - ac & climate

story - mera ac climate ke according apne aap adjust ho jata hain

3. bacchanalian - drunken

To learn divide this word into two parts - bachan & lion

story - amitabh bachan bahut bada piyakad hain , woh khud bhi boht peeta hain aur apne lion ko bhi peelate rehta hain

p.s - hope u'll never forget these words now

p.p.s - Apologies to those who r alien to hindi language. mani aana shorry

Straight from the heart
3 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
1) Decorous good and correct (used of behavior)

2) Denunciation act of speaking out against

3) Diaphanousvery thin and transparent

4) Derivative unoriginal

5) Despotic acting like a tyrant

6) Detritus rubbish
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

That is very nice. Waiting for that. I will suggest to follow wordpandit. com. It is very amazing site.

coolavenues123 Says
THANK YOU.........I have a list of many words which have been explained very well.....will be posting one by one
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Definition : mellifluous
  1. A mellifluous voice or piece of music is gentle and pleasant to listen to.

When I was little, the mellifluous or pleasant tones of our preacher's voice put me right to sleep in church. My mother was shocked at my dozing off in response to his mellifluous or sweet-sounding voice. Even the agreeable melodies and mellifluous tones of the choir would keep lulling me to sleep. Then, when we would get home, my grandmother used to stroke my hair and sing to me in a tender, mellifluous voice, sending me off to dreamland where I didn't have to wake up.
What does it mean when a voice is mellifluous?
  1. It is gentle and soothing.
  2. It bores you completely.
  3. It can carry a tune well.

Memory Hook
Flowing Flute Melody:The flowing melody singing forth from the mellifluous notes of the flute soothed us all.
Examples
  1. Smiley, 41, drops into a stereotypical public radio announcer's voice - soft, mellow and mellifluous - to illustrate the difference between what public radio listeners expect and what he offers. -The Washington Post
  2. The secret to enjoying these pictures is to realize that nothing can duplicate the glories of ****ens's sweeping plots, colorful characters, and mellifluous prose, so all screen adaptations are bound to be un-****ensian from the get-go. -The Christian Science Monitor
  3. The writing is superb, and kudos should go to Morgan Freeman, whose intelligent delivery and mellifluous voice give life to the narration. -USA Today
  4. The tension was there in his deep, rich, unmistakable voice: a mellifluous baritone that conveyed a grave authority, while a strangled quaver hinted at vulnerability and doubt. -Newsweek
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Pariansh Says
Very well explained.

THANK YOU.........I have a list of many words which have been explained very well.....will be posting one by one
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Very well explained.

What is a virtuoso?
  1. Someone who likes to share his ideas with others.
  2. Someone who is first-rate and outstanding at what she does.
  3. Someone who puts forth much effort.

Definition
  1. A virtuoso is someone who is very skillful at something, especially playing a musical instrument.

Examples
  1. Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists. H. L. Mencken
  2. The window into her vulnerabilities that Hillary gave her opponents in the Philadelphia debate is proving more enduring than the virtuoso performance she turned in last week in Las Vegas. Newsweek
  3. Mr. Peterson was one of the greatest virtuosos in jazz, with a piano technique that was always meticulous and ornate and sometimes overwhelming. The New York Times
  4. Fully interactive videoconferencing, however, in the hands of internationally renowned violin virtuoso Pinchas Zukerman, provides an example of how technology can widen and deepen not only arts education, but any kind of instruction. BNET
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Turpitude: Turpitude bole to ek dum base vile depraved corrupt morally lose act.
Bole to jaise tapori log jeete hai mammu!

Meaning: A corrupt or depraved or degenerate act or practice.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
What is a virtuoso?

Definition
  1. A virtuoso is someone who is very skillful at something, especially playing a musical instrument.

Examples
  1. Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists. H. L. Mencken
  2. The window into her vulnerabilities that Hillary gave her opponents in the Philadelphia debate is proving more enduring than the virtuoso performance she turned in last week in Las Vegas. Newsweek
  3. Mr. Peterson was one of the greatest virtuosos in jazz, with a piano technique that was always meticulous and ornate and sometimes overwhelming. The New York Times
  4. Fully interactive videoconferencing, however, in the hands of internationally renowned violin virtuoso Pinchas Zukerman, provides an example of how technology can widen and deepen not only arts education, but any kind of instruction. BNET
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
What is a virtuoso?

Definition

Examples
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
GESTICULATE

1) To make gesture while speaking commonly with hands
2) To say something with gestures alone

Mnemonic:
Gesticulate sounds like someone has gastric trouble. Well, if someone does have gastric trouble, he would gesticulate a lot because of the gastric trouble that brews within. Further, gesticulate can be learnt with the help of that one person in our environment who uses lot of hand movements while talking.

Examples:
1) Despite his high intellect he could not score in extempore because he gesticulated through the entire speech. (Verb)
2) His speech is replete with gesticulations. (Adjective)
3) His intention to intimidate his classmates is clear when his behaviour is gesticulatory. (Adjective)
4) He is an eminent gesticulator. (Noun)
5) He signalled peril with his gesticulatory behaviour. (Adjective)
No fool like an old fool. http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/pagalguy-dream-team-2012-t-83955/p-3594200/r-4344097
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...