Wonders of World

210 Posts  ·  40 Users
About this group
I guess everyone is aware of the ongoing voting for wonders of world, Does this makes sense in voting for wonders of world, and kind of advertising going on. The final list will definitely not be the ones deserving, most of them will be voted ou...
Page 1 of 21

Closing this thread. Move on, be good and be friendly 😃 Enough has been written and tons more can be written. We have spent hours discussing our decisions and have spent sleepless nights and so have some of you.

Let me put this straight - What has happened is required and may have been long overdue. This wasn't an easy decision - but this was the best way forward according to us. Is it a one shot solution to the problems that have cropped up - NO. But is this a start - YES.

Thanks,

Command like a king, work like a slave.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Dear Apurv,

You've spent a considerable length of your post convincing me that abusive language needs to be discouraged. I got that, I may have an differing opinion(which I still do) but I respect your decision.(Which I have stated in the previous post as well)

Secondly, you have evaded a few of my questions.

About your post...

I'm quoting what I wrote earlier on this mater and will attempt to explain to you why the threads you quote went unnoticed. Hope you see the point.
Where exactly have you done that? Did I miss something?

I understand that MvB and Plumber may have violated the rules, and you said they were hostile etc etc, but there was an other side which was equally hostile. By banning them, you have lost 2 very good posters, who were responsible for raising the levels of various threads. They may have done something 'bad' but the good that they have done will always be their on most of our minds. Cant you guys work out a deal or something, PG would be a sad place without MvB and Plumber or anyone for that matter.
Giving them another chance would not hurt.

Best Newcomer (User who has joined in the last 12 months)
1) Plumber-24
2) Subodh_iit-11
3) Prem_ravi-9

Favorite Poster(The one you like to follow)
1) MvB ACM No 9-10
2) Desiguru, Plumber-8
3) Psychodementia-6

Most Annoying User (Nothing Personal):
1) Plumber-7
2) Abhi_g1 - 5
warrior - 5
manish_bengani-5

Special Mention Award (The Poster of whom you would like to make a special mention for whatever reason):
1)Chango -13
2)prem_ravi - 12
3)arun agarwal - 11
Plumber -11

Poster with Maximum Impact within Minimum Posts:
1) MVB ACM No 9-9
2) Apurv - 8
Prem_ravi-8

This would prove that they were 'not unpopular/hostile' as you have claimed. And yes, Plumber did win the 'Most Annoying User' award, but that was because many mods/admins voted that way.I dont want to bring up the bias issue here!

MvB has more that 2k posts, is this how you treat such passionate/loyal posters?

Please realise that the main reason MvB did what he did was because he felt provoked because of Plumber's banning, and at that time I dont think you justified your reasons well enough, and asked him to take a hike(Wasn't that personal???)

Kindly do what is necessary on the F-1 thread. Let us assure equal treatment to all users, and kindly think over what I've said.

PS: I have put all the questions in bold, for easier viewing.

Waiting for a satisfactory reply,
DMA Controller.
More

well if members are going to show their disappointment and mods try to convince the reason behind every step they take, and this is what is going to continue in this thread here after

why not it be locked!!

bharath

2) I was just checking the F-1 thread and..
Why were all of these ignored, I dont think the mods would have missed these!! Especially now that the forum has become 'friendlier', and by the new standards that the 'mods' have set, I would think that these people would deserve a warning.

(I see nothing wrong in the posts or in the language, but yes, they use words which are 'not' allowed here anymore. I apologise to the users whose posts I have quoted, but I had to do it, to make my point.)

Dear DMA Controller,

I think I've stated earlier that as moderators we have slipped a little. I'm quoting what I wrote earlier on this mater and will attempt to explain to you why the threads you quote went unnoticed. Hope you see the point :).
The reason why some people might feel surprised is 'How come the Mods suddenly remembered about these rules?'.

Well, we did think that people here would enforce it themselves, as self-moderation is a quality PG is known for. But I guess it's not entirely true in some sections, and we mods have to step in to maintain the decorum around these places. Sure, MvB might have been a great poster in terms of the point he makes, but that does not place him above basic rules. And the way he posted here, despite having read everything why we're stressing on friendliness, he clearly had no intentions of helping things around here. Users who use a shrill tone in posts will come and go, but it is us who have to bear the brunt of the legacy they leave, when two years later the entire place takes to abusive words and personal attacks just because we did not nip the problem in the bud at the right time.
Why is street language not admissible on PG?

Should such language be admissible? I think that's a debatable point in the larger universe and I wouldn't claim that if you meet any of us Mods/Admins in real life you'll find us expletive-free.

About language on this forum? Let me explain. I think people seem to have forgotten here that PG was started and meant to be a forum for MBA aspirants. Now if anyone is making a forum for MBA aspirants, it's clear that he wouldn't stop at enabling discussions. He'll want to get more content about the top B-schools, profs, Directors, HR guys in order to help the larger universe of MBA aspirants?

Look at our front page today, it has people from top B-schools (IIMs, ISB, Wharton, IMD and sooo many more) people talking freely to us and giving us newsbreaks about B-schools they're not even giving to ET or CNBC. Do you think they will do that if the forum is replete with abusive language?Yes I know that the argument would be that this is the Chit-Chat section and is different. But the truth is, people look a the entire forum before making a judgment on it. It took me 2 years of constant and exhausting convincing that PG is not just another public forum to just get an absolute top school of Indian to even talk to PG's Editorial team. And a couple of months back, they gave us a candid interview. That's great for the MBA aspirants on PG. One lady from SP Jain is now counseling MBA aspirants day in and day out in an official capacity on the SP Jain blog thread. We foresee a scenario tomorrow when admission directors of top schools start mingling freely in these parts. More power to MBA aspirants! MBA aspirants would never have this much power if the forum was replete with abusive words, it's a no brainer.

But consider that we give free leeway to abusive language out here and a year later it becomes part of culture... then the whole purpose of PG gets lost! The we might as well say that we're not an MBA forum, were a Football and F1 and Cricket forum so bring it on and forget about everything, make it a free for all. But the truth is that Football and F1 are preetee preetee secondary on PG and what is important is getting into a good B-school. People don't come to PG for discussing F1, they come here for MBA. Isn't it our natural right then to protect their stake? Why should we cut out the power of getting closer to B-schools for aspirants' sake just to satisfy the need of a few posters to have "intellectual discussions" in street language?

Of course, I wouldn't contest your viewpoint if somebody misinformed you that PG was a Football and F1 forum. If that's what you came here thinking then dude you were misinformed.

Even then, we're not saying that don't hang around here to discuss Football or politics and wonders of the world. All were saying is that do it in a friendly manner and keep abusive words out and I do;t think that's too much to ask for. ;)

Apurv
More
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
catapult
@catapult  ·  1,270 karma

If I have invested my heart and soul into building a forum and I find it being taken hostage by a few posters, whatever their moral/intellectual/ideological leanings may be, I simply have the right to send them packing home and restore the forum to what I wanted it to be. This is not about democracy, this is not about showing the others who the boss is, quite simply it is about protecting what I set out create. All those high brow debates were taking the "fun" out of PG and the authority had to step in to restore order.

I am sure you will see civility return to the threads in a jiffy and for all the the 10-15 of you who complain, there will be hundreds out there who will be happier for the return to the way things are supposed to be. This forum has given me a lot and I am trying in my own little way to give back however I can, but that simply does NOT gives me the right to assume that I am larger than the forum itself. Unfortunately for those under reference here, the forum was becoming an inconvenience in itself.

In the end it all turns out OK. Relax and enjoy the ride.

A perfectly summed up post. This is the way forward. We should all accept Mods holistic decision - I believe they had to do so after tracking the users for a long time. It would be a mistake to assume they were banned just because of their one/two posts on this thread.

More

This is horrible..

2 of the best posters("Best Poster" & "Best Newcomer" Award winners) banned! I cannot comment on the propriety of the decision, because it will either be ignored or would be refuted with the points the admins have been giving for the past few pages(We need to be friendlier) ;)

So I will accept their decisions, but there are a few things that have been ignored completely by the mods..

1) The discussion that has been going on in the past few pages do not relate to the thread title at all. Nobody has even considered moving this discussion on to a new thread. Considering the excessive enthusiasm shown by the admins in banning the 'wrongdoers', I wonder why this has not even been mentioned once by any of the mods.

2) I was just checking the F-1 thread and..

@chetan - eat dung dude .... spanish a*se has struck 😛
B***ocks to anyone who says Alonso pulled off a fantastic maneouvre to take Massa. Anybody, even people of Button's calibre, would've been able to do that in his Mclaren v/s Massa's Ferrari in those conditions.
huh???? dude u kno...i cheered fr him wen he overtook massa.....b/w ars*s, i wanted the lesser a*se to win.....
Why were all of these ignored, I dont think the mods would have missed these!! Especially now that the forum has become 'friendlier', and by the new standards that the 'mods' have set, I would think that these people would deserve a warning.

(I see nothing wrong in the posts or in the language, but yes, they use words which are 'not' allowed here anymore. I apologise to the users whose posts I have quoted, but I had to do it, to make my point.)

Some people may say, I am trivialising the whole issue, but the happenings of late, leave me no choice.

The reason they won the PG awards was because they were good at what they did, and if they did not have the support of the majority of the Puys, they would not have won these awards. Considering the fact that they won on the basis of the votes they received, you cant even say that they were unpopular and certainly you cannot say that they were the reason that people refrained from posting on the forum. I am not a regular poster, though I always read whats happening on the various threads that concern me. People like them the way they are, and thats how it should be.

I am sorry if I was not friendly enough, I apologise!

Peace,
DMA Controller.
More

Time for me to submit my papers too.

MvB: Though much as I dislike it, the decision seems to be right one. This forum does not deserve you..

This thread has clearly highlighted what is wrong with India/Indian democracy. All that matters is the Vision of a selct few who act in the name of the masses here backed by a few outside of their creed.

As someone pointed out earlier, I admit that Vision is what that matters and I submit to that vision - that Vision of Gandhi and Nehru - which provided equality of opportunities for everyone even if you score a little lower in a uni-dimensional exam like CAT. The vision carried forward in a great way by Mr. AS and the vision getting replicated here. After all, India was found by Gandhi/Nehru.. Otherwise it was Hindustan..

And for every 10-15 IIM Entrants, there are 100s of others whom these reservations have given hope.. And hey, werent the IIMs found by Nehru with a certain vision. After all, its not abt democracy, nor abt Meritocracy - its abt vision he set out to achieve. Let us at least stop being hypocrisy personified.

We are still stranger to the concept of Jobs getting fired because he wanted his vision to be held supreme. Oops.. its getting boring.

PS - Can be considered a subtly disguised attack and subsequently I may be banned. As already said, everything on a friendly note.. 😃

More

Made post, went to Edit, FF crashes... oh well, will say it some other time :).
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

I have been a silent observer of sorts here , but have over the past few weeks sneaked a look at a few of the much debated threads here on PG. It is true that things were getting a bit too edgy over here. Don't get me wrong, I have never been the one to back out from a fight and got pretty close to getting banned myself during the reservation ruckus.That said, most of the fights of the past were local, mini battles and hardly ever defined what happened in the rest of the threads let alone the other sections. I did get the strong sense over the past few months though that the chit-chat section was indeed becoming increasingly edgier and was driven by 2-3 posters and their need for intellectual manna or whatever.

I can understand the anti-authority stand and even identify with it, but what people seem to have forgotten midway through is what made us come to PG in the first place. "Intellectual debate" does not need the facade of hostility that has draped itself over this section in these past few months. And almost the entire debate was centered around the veneer of intellectual superiority with summary dismissal of the "non-intellectual" view point. Threads like the pseudo conversation thread are almost exclusively restricted to a few users and consistently stay in the first page.

If I have invested my heart and soul into building a forum and I find it being taken hostage by a few posters, whatever their moral/intellectual/ideological leanings may be, I simply have the right to send them packing home and restore the forum to what I wanted it to be. This is not about democracy, this is not about showing the others who the boss is, quite simply it is about protecting what I set out create. All those high brow debates were taking the "fun" out of PG and the authority had to step in to restore order.

I am sure you will see civility return to the threads in a jiffy and for all the the 10-15 of you who complain, there will be hundreds out there who will be happier for the return to the way things are supposed to be. This forum has given me a lot and I am trying in my own little way to give back however I can, but that simply does NOT gives me the right to assume that I am larger than the forum itself. Unfortunately for those under reference here, the forum was becoming an inconvenience in itself.

In the end it all turns out OK. Relax and enjoy the ride.

More

Goodness gracious!! Ban Ban Ban!! All over the place!! Ban! Oh God! Whats happening here? :neutral:
MvB(Mukund) and Plumber have been the best ever on PG! I do understand the mod's stand, but, banning is not going to improve things around. Maybe you got rid of two so-called "users who are abusive and made personal attacks" but let me tell you,they simply did that in the Lounge section! I don't think they interfered in the other discussions which are generally populated by aspirants! and i believe Plumber was purely commenting on an issue relating to the Taj(if I am not wrong) and if Plumber wouldn't have been banned, then even Mukund wouldn't have posted that! Oh god,its like a chain reaction! :wow:

Like I've been telling, I do perfectly understand the Mod's situation, but hey, please, why don't you just give Plumber a chance to explain what he actually meant by that "snipped portion"! Oh come on, Harsha and catapult, who ardently opposed Plumber throughout the debate, also feel bad about it, which means, no one's actually taking things to heart here! 😞 This whole discussion was just a debate, no one took it personally!And its not that we meet these people everyday and fight with him over heated subjects, but all I know is, even after these debates here, people do meet up in Sb have much lighter discussions there!!Come on, its after all our dear-PG! Tension nahe lene ka! Ban bhe nahe karne ka! :(Sab log yahan bhai-bhai! 😞

More