Why Log values 1.000000e-001

3 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Hi Puys, I have come across many computer games and myself have been a part of their development too...and have noticed many instances where the programmers prefer to use log values e.g. 1.000000e-001, 2.000000e-001, etc to assign speed/motio...
Page 1 of 1
Hi Puys,

Can the quants gurus tell me why the log numbers better than hard numbers?

I basically cudn't understand the basic logic behind inventing a Log value.... pls explain to me.
thanks!

As already advice, please continue the discussion on the computer queries thread or the quant section.
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I think you should post this on the Computer Queries thread.

Anyway, my opinion on this would be - processors would need less time and resources for precise calculations.
Same as us human beings really. For example: If I told you to multiply 1.7368 with 7.9057 it would take much less time and result in lesser gray hairs if one uses logs to do the calculation as opposed to the traditional multiplication method...same for computers!

Also, an extension of logarithms is "Complex Logarithms" - this is used mainly for calculations of complex numbers and for analysis of 3-D planes...with x,y and z axes that is. So I suppose here again, the processor/graphics card would take less time/resources to do calculations to render textures and graphics. See if you can get info on Complex Logs - v.interesting!!

Hi Puys,

I have come across many computer games and myself have been a part of their development too...and have noticed many instances where the programmers prefer to use log values e.g. 1.000000e-001, 2.000000e-001, etc to assign speed/motion values to moving objects. I have also noticed that it really give smoothness to moving objects as compared to hard-coded numbers 0.01, 0.002, etc. I do this just for the heck of doing it without understanding the reason behind.

Can the quants gurus tell me why the log numbers better than hard numbers?

I basically cudn't understand the basic logic behind inventing a Log value.... pls explain to me.

thanks!