Why ISB will beat IIMs

227 Posts  ·  100 Users
About this group
Maine nahin likha hain boss. Govindraj Ethiraj, the CNBC anchor has written this article. So, if you have anything, don't tell me. Tell him http://datelinebombay.blogspot.com/2006/04/why-isb-might-beat-iims.html *Why ISB Might Beat The II...
Page 1 of 23

ISB Compared with other non-IIMs...

imagine im a 95%ile guy.. and a 720 GMAT guy... with only 2 years of exp...and suppose i have calls from MDI, NITIE, NMIMS, .. l.. and all i care about is a good job at the end.. dont care about campus and peer group...

now intakes are ISB-750, NM-450 and MDI-350... now i must admit that im about a just above avg guy with an avg workex... but somehow i have made it into these 3 gr8 places...

now come placements... in ISB id probably be in the bottom quarter... at MDI too about bottom 2/3rd... but at NM i could be in the top quarter of the pool of students.... I think the real thing to compare here is how the bottom quarter placements at ISB and MDI compare with the top quarter placements at NM... NOW THATS the real question...

i hope i didnt imply that i was a money chaser,,, though money earning is a very good indicator of your job responsibilities, and experiences both professional and personal... esp in MBA,,, could you give me an instance of when it is not? ofcourse im not discounting ISB totally,, but i really am in a dilemma, ISB is only 1 year... wonder how much bonding and learning could happen in that little time,,, it also seems from the outside atleast to be a rushed job,, with 8 semesters in 12 months.. thats quite crazy.. there is no denying that they really do have the most ELITE mbas.. almost to the point of being ELITIST .. probably more than iim ABC, they really choose only the most outspoken individuals in their interviews... any introverts and recluses are shunned from the gate itself...which also in turn leads to a false bias when 750 extremely extroverted individuals go on drumming into the world that ISB is the greatest... it really is a big dilemma..

Better to be a BIG fish in a SMALL pond than a SMALL fish in a BIG pond
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Finally some sense has prevailed on this thread.

good to see an IIM guy who is genuinely happy to see ISB, an indian B-school climbing the charts (unlike the meaningless discussions in the first 100 posts on this thread)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

cmon, wats up with the analysis an stuff.... both are leaders in their own way...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Considering all the views and thoughts,All the pros n cons of both the schools are due to the managing board selection procedures....

I think IIM's directors are too milking the IIM brand like not reviewing the CAT2009 quagmire(I've not taken CAT)...And also not scaling the total no.of seats according to the basic needs...This will be a disadvantage for IIMs in the long-run...IIMs website need attention :|...

We cant underestimate the quality of both the b-schools since everybody is good in their own way....

We cant say that taking freshers will affect the quality since it depends on the individual fresher...may be he/she is able to produce gud papers....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I wrote a piece on why the IIMs are headed downhill. Check it out:
Brand dilution of IIMs Corpodile

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

okk!!!
I completely have no idea why u ppl are fighting. IIM(ABC) and ISB in my comparison cant be compared at all. Both have their own varying boons and bains and a lot of it depends on the present profiles of the persons aspiring to do an MBA.

In fact, I completely agree that IIMs have the funda of "Catch them young" and ISB has the funda "Pick them wen they r smarter enough and experienced". Now its completely on you(I m talking about mba aspirants) that in which profile funda do u fit in!!

Cheers
abhi

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

chk this...

ISB extends placement season indefinitely

ISB extends placement season indefinitelyB Krishna Mohan / Hyderabad April 02, 2009, 0:55 ISTOnly 57% students placed so far.
For the first time since its inception, the Indian School of Business (ISB) has extended its placement season indefinitely. Only 250 of the 440 students (around 57 per cent) in the class of 2009 have secured jobs in the placement drive that began in early January.
Placements should have been completed by the end of March, and the campus would have been readying for graduation day in the first week of April. However, the slowing economy appears to have taken a toll on this prestigious B-school, which ranked 15 in the 2009 global MBA rankings released by the Financial Times. Over the years, the placement trends were analysed and results announced by graduation day, scheduled for April 4. This year, that is unlikely to happen. There are already hints of a fall in the annual average salary offers from Rs 18-20 lakh to Rs 13-15 lakh.
In 2007, 581 offers were made to 416 students. In 2008, 657 offers were made to 421 students.
The IT-ITeS, finance and real estate sectors combined made 280 job offers in 2008. This year, all these sectors have been hit by the slowdown. The school had, in fact, sensed this and started inviting new companies for campus recruitment around November this year.
Many students graduating this April will still have access to ISB's resources and services over the next few months to find a job. The school will be in regular touch with students to help them find a suitable job that fits students' profiles.
The school, however, has not fixed any timeframe for students to find jobs. "We will continue to explore avenues till all students find the right job in accordance with their qualifications and work experience," said an ISB spokesperson.
The premier B-school had earlier announced that it would increase enrolments by 560 to 600 for the class of 2010. It did not, however, explain how it would raise the number of job offers if the job market did not pick up.
ISB has six months to plan for the placement of the new batch after collecting the profiles of the students, their preferences for a sector or function, location choices and so on.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What is the purpose of this thread??
Comparing instis is not what we should do

Also, as someone pointed out, IIMs are not considered in the FT MBA list, they are considered for MS....we dont get a degree in IIMs!!
I am not advertising for IIMB, but IIMB and IIMA were ranked very high in one of the recent surveys, ISB was not there. What can we infer? I guess "Cant be determined" option in DI caselets we solved was not good for nothing. Think about this.

Comparison is not valid. Period.

Enjoy ,
Manish

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

About the IIM placements wrapping in 9-10 days, dont know much about other IIMs but in IIM Ahmedabad, salaries have been compromised with to place all their students. Bank of Baroda has picked up 6 guys at 2.5Lpa + perks. Many many guys have joined PSU's and startups.

Bank of Baroda paid 2.5 lacs, huh? nice, even I didnt know that. Listen,why dont you reserve your outrageous claims for coffee table conversations with your friends and only portray confirmed information on a serious forum such as this one. And if you do not mind, can you please send me a private msg as to who furnished you with such information?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Dude it is about serving the need. If with such a low fees one can get such a return on investment, so be it. Nothing against ISB, but even we have information wherein ISB grads this time have accepted salaries of 6-7lacs. Nothing wrong in it. A job is the need of the hour. Once a grad goes into the industry they can always switch as and when the right time comes. Also even in IIMs, grads haven't been forced to take up jobs. That is why they stretched the process till that long. They could have easily wrapped up the process in a week. Please check the press conferences of IIMB and IIMC. The Directors have specifically mentioned that choices of the grads weren't compromised.

What's wrong with a PSU offering so less in terms of cash component. Do you have any idea as to how much do they pay in terms of other perks. For your kind info one of the PSUs which offered the lowest in one of the IIMs (6-7lacs) offered residence, free local telephone and 60% of domestic electricity bills apart from free local conveyance. It is just an example.

One of my friends at ISB is just asking for a job, not for a lucrative payscale and yes even he has a 4+ years of work-ex.

Having said all that, I sincerely hope that ISB places all in its rolls as per their desire, for they deserve nothing less.

wow ....
so i get my electricity bills payed so that i can finally afford to have a kid eh?
Thank GOD ... at least m not thinking about such trivial ...no.... frivolous issues as "free" local telephone and "free" conveyance...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...