Why IIM's have come out with their criteria of selection??

11 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
Hi Puys Till last year, the final criteria for giving calls was never disclosed. However, this is not the case this time as IIM A has come out clearly with its criteria. Moreover, until last year it was not uncommon to hear people getting calls ...
Page 1 of 2

I guess as of now our primary focus shld be on getting a 99+%ile in cat.Rather than delving too much into the selection criteria.10 days back there was an interview of an IIM A prof in TV 18.He was asked wats the weightage for different criteria on the basis of which final selection is done .He said they wont divulge the details as it would put undue pressure on students.As of now they shld focus on cat.So the message is clear.

cheers
prashant

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

The criteria of selection were very subjective. For example, in case of Work-Ex., it was not just the work ex that was considered, but also the duration, the sector in which you are working, your degree. The were other conditions they were looking like a variety in the batch. Its no use having all Software Engineers.

see dude....around 2 lakh people give the CAT every year....what do you expect the iim profs to do...spend the whole year in just selecting the right candidates.... since the number of candidates is so large, they have to come up with such objective criteria.....

using subjectivity in the first phase itself is not at all feasible....and i suppose, iimb's criteria comes from a lot of statistical analysis....

and if the iims do go in for a very subjective selection process in the 2nd phase, they would be devoting too less time to it... thats being more unfair, dont u think?

That is quite sad , however IIM's can be trusted when it comes to selecting the managers with the best potential . The Criterion's are set for a reason , the only difference being that earlier they were kept secret whereas nowadays they are disclosed.

IIM"s try to be fair to everyone - those with work ex and those without , those with maths background as well as those with English ones. I don't think any engineer with poor communication skills gets selected for IIM's and ditto for a person who has good communication skills but lack logical thinking.

Lets trust the IIM's to be fair in their selection and for now assume that if we get 99 percentile or above - We will get IIM calls . Lets give it our best shot.

Its great that IIMs are finally coming out clean on the issue and its great for aspirants that they know the criteria beforehand.

Since IIMs are the best in the business nobody can question the criterias. Fair or not these criterias are being demanded by the best management institutes of the country .

Howver there is a sad trend for underdogs vying for top colleges. Ur profile and ur background will have an increasingly more inluence on ur ambitions. Gone are the days when a medicore student with average educational background just by performing in CAT get into the hallowed lanes of IIMs.

Ur past and not just ur present will now increasingly decide whether IIMs can be part of ur future. SAD but TRUE!!!:huh:

well iim-b has announced its recent selection criteria::wow:

* CAT - 20%

* X and XII - 25%

* B.degree - 15%

* GDPI - 35%

* workex- 5-10%

well this is the new basis for selection criteria

source: MBA Careers and Education

:grab:

My Blog: http://mrintech.com/ :)
The criteria of selection were very subjective. For example, in case of Work-Ex., it was not just the work ex that was considered, but also the duration, the sector in which you are working, your degree. The were other conditions they were looking like a variety in the batch. Its no use having all Software Engineers.
yes, we were not asked to mention them. but these are factor that are considered. and they wud be when u go for ur gd/pi. Since, gd/pi are subjective in nature, no one can question them on that.

lemme also tell u that u are asked to mention ur organization and ur role when u apply for institutes like SP Jain and XLRI. believe it or not, but these are important criterias and are considered by every Bschool.

The only thing that has happened is that they are no more being considered while giving the GD/PI calls. However, i think that the iims are going to consider them while giving the final calls. This is becoz they wudn't like to change the distribution of their batch (freshers vs experienced).

First of all lets stick to the thread title and leave SP Jain XLRI out of the picture.
How do you know that you have not given calls to 100 software engineers and 10 from core fields if you are asked to only shade bubbles corresponding to your work-ex? So how do they decide about their *batch diversity* in the GD/PI stage if they have messed it up in the first stage of the process itself. I agree its better to give out profile based calls rather than just based on percentiles, but not this way. As DG has rightly pointed out let the applications come after the CAT results, then you have a better chance at assessing the profiles of individual candidates and truly achieve a diversity in the batch.

Read the parts in bold, and tell me which one should I believe All I was doing was pointing out the wrong arguments in your first post.
PS: I dont know what the exact purpose of the thread is

IT's Good that IIM's have for a change come out with a selection criteria but dont u guys think its a waste to show this after the Exams and results are out.
Consider this If the selection criteria would have been mentioned before hand students could have a clearer picture of the Institues they are elligible for and mentally prepare themselves accordingly and apply other B-schools. Its true that most of it is based on the current performance of all in CAT but then IIMB also considered 10th and 12th marks so all these information should be made available before the tests are taken..

This seems to be like "Setting the Rules of the Game after the Game is over to justify the winner's"

nikhilkulk Says
As Far As I Remember, you were only asked to mention your total work-experience in months. Neither the company name nor the sector was asked leave alone nature of work.

yes, we were not asked to mention them. but these are factor that are considered. and they wud be when u go for ur gd/pi. Since, gd/pi are subjective in nature, no one can question them on that.

lemme also tell u that u are asked to mention ur organization and ur role when u apply for institutes like SP Jain and XLRI. believe it or not, but these are important criterias and are considered by every Bschool.

The only thing that has happened is that they are no more being considered while giving the GD/PI calls. However, i think that the iims are going to consider them while giving the final calls. This is becoz they wudn't like to change the distribution of their batch (freshers vs experienced).

As Far As I Remember, you were only asked to mention your total work-experience in months. Neither the company name nor the sector was asked leave alone nature of work.
Hi Puys
Till last year, the final criteria for giving calls was never disclosed. However, this is not the case this time as IIM A has come out clearly with its criteria. Moreover, until last year it was not uncommon to hear people getting calls at 98 and sometimes at 97 also. This was particularly true for those with more than 2 yrs of work ex. I am yet to hear such a case this year.

So, what has really changed. This is what I feel.

So, what has really changed. According to me, it is the RTI that is the culprit. These subjective criteria could have been challenged in court. There is already such a case in UPSC where after the court ruling the cutoff marks were declared. In order to avoid any conflict, the IIM's choose to have an objective criteria.
I wonder if this would affect the quality of IIM's.

@all: I would like to hear other puys have to say on this.

@mods: In case u find this thread useless, please close the thread.

i guess there is no point in raising such issues it is better v move ahead and look at other options available talking about CAT again n again will only frustate u
just relax n accept what comes maybe something better is in store 4 u
IIMs r nt d end of d world