Why IIM X???

13 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
Hi All, With the GD PI round the corner, there is one question which is bound be asked by the panel i.e Why do you want to join IIM X. I think most of us have been reading up on various IIM's and gathering inputs from seniors. However I thoug...
Page 1 of 2
DSM
@DSM  ·  0 karma
Why IIMC?
Analytical rigor
Best alumni network
World class finance faculty (Threw in a couple of names too)
Strong student cultural scene
Investment banking-placements

Why IIMB?
Location -World's new commercial hub, City's culture etc
Strategy group- Prof Raghunath I think
Global vision-Singapore was hot then. You can find out something now
Career opportunities

Why IIMK?
Strong systems focus
Analytical rigor
extremely conducive academic setting (some blah abt the beauty of the campus)

These are some of the answers that I gave. These are pretty safe answers even this year, provided you can back it up. Don't say Investment banking, if you have no clue what it is all about.

Thanks buddy... it would great if you could mention about some faculty who have achieved some awards/regognitions in the recent past.... and thanks again for the start...

seniors... we hope to get ur support on this...
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Why IIMC?
Analytical rigor
Best alumni network
World class finance faculty (Threw in a couple of names too)
Strong student cultural scene
Investment banking-placements

Why IIMB?
Location -World's new commercial hub, City's culture etc
Strategy group- Prof Raghunath I think
Global vision-Singapore was hot then. You can find out something now
Career opportunities

Why IIMK?
Strong systems focus
Analytical rigor
extremely conducive academic setting (some blah abt the beauty of the campus)

These are some of the answers that I gave. These are pretty safe answers even this year, provided you can back it up. Don't say Investment banking, if you have no clue what it is all about.

DSM
@DSM  ·  0 karma
my take on the things

there are already loads of material already on pg from where you can decide why do u want to get into iim X.........i am sure you can browse through the past posts and get a very good idea....it is just plain laziness that we want a new thread to rediscuss the things at times.....this might/might not be one of them. iitiim if you can really browse thorugh all that rather than waiting for this year batch ppl to post it would sure provide you better analysis and strategy etc......take your call
as for debates between iim etc....as long as one can talk rationally I dont think the proffs mind at all what iim you prefer more.it is just to draw you into conversation.

i wont mind helping you in whatever thread forum you intend to discuss the things on but just that i wanted to remind you that u are already standing on gold mine of information on pg and can very well answer the qns that you want other iim junta to answer for you

.......best of luck to all of you

Thanks Buddy... all I am trying to say is that it would help if we could have inputs on this thread... goaldmine yup no disputing the fact... problem is the time to dig into it... would help if all seniors could pour in their thoughts... else mods pls close the thread.. no issues.

my take on the things

there are already loads of material already on pg from where you can decide why do u want to get into iim X.........i am sure you can browse through the past posts and get a very good idea....it is just plain laziness that we want a new thread to rediscuss the things at times.....this might/might not be one of them. iitiim if you can really browse thorugh all that rather than waiting for this year batch ppl to post it would sure provide you better analysis and strategy etc......take your call
as for debates between iim etc....as long as one can talk rationally I dont think the proffs mind at all what iim you prefer more.it is just to draw you into conversation.

i wont mind helping you in whatever thread forum you intend to discuss the things on but just that i wanted to remind you that u are already standing on gold mine of information on pg and can very well answer the qns that you want other iim junta to answer for you

.......best of luck to all of you

Tintin,
EAT Street meet this Sankranti will anyway help us find out some of our answers, waiting 4 it.
On a more serious tone,
A Common FORUM for all Puys in different IIMs can better serve the purpose. Its not an individual's matter. Its a universal problem. K or I vs L discussion or B vs C discussion are anyways a common issue. New bees are puzzled in this trap.

Guys in Individual forum of a particular IIM will get irritated , if focus will shift to other IIMs.

I hope , you guys leave it to MODs. And its not just a chit chat, its a serious MATTER.

IIM L, I , K P'UYs, can you please come up with some points specific to your insti ?
I completely agree with Baby ....

IMHO, the individual IIM threads are more than enough for you to ask any questions regarding the IIMs ... why do we want to start another thread? .... for example, If you want to know why IIM L go to the IIM L thread (http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-lucknow-2007-09-gd-pi-help-desk-25020209) and post your query ....

If you are looking for a place to compare all the IIMs ... then I don't think this is the right place.

My two cents.

Tintin,
EAT Street meet this Sankranti will anyway help us find out some of our answers, waiting 4 it.
On a more serious tone,
A Common FORUM for all Puys in different IIMs can better serve the purpose. Its not an individual's matter. Its a universal problem. K or I vs L discussion or B vs C discussion are anyways a common issue. New bees are puzzled in this trap.

Guys in Individual forum of a particular IIM will get irritated , if focus will shift to other IIMs.

I hope , you guys leave it to MODs. And its not just a chit chat, its a serious MATTER.

IIM L, I , K P'UYs, can you please come up with some points specific to your insti ?
DSM
@DSM  ·  0 karma

IMHO, the individual IIM threads are more than enough for you to ask any questions regarding the IIMs ... why do we want to start another thread? .... for example, If you want to know why IIM L go to the IIM L thread (http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-lucknow-2007-09-gd-pi-help-desk-25020209) and post your query ....

If you are looking for a place to compare all the IIMs ... then I don't think this is the right place.

My two cents.

hey tintin.. as mentioned it is not to compare.. it is jus to help each one of us to learn abt each IIM rather than going thru ten's of pages for each IIM...

think abt it again...
DSM
@DSM  ·  0 karma
I have a big issue with this thread
Now 'Why IIM??' is just one of the many questions which could be asked. It might not even be asked for all you know.
So this thread is gonna be closed. Please post your query on the different active IIM X 2007-09 query threads

For starters here's the IIM B thread http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/cat-and-related-discussion/20113-iim-bangalore-queries-2007-09-a-13.html#post654128
Mridul
PS: sorry for the groan. You asked for it :)

Hey Baby... agree with wht u saying tht there are links for the respective IIM's... but don't u think that this link will give a snap shot of the IIM....???? wht harm is this link gonna do???

Thanks for the groan though 😃

P.S.. been tracking couple of them since the IMS sims.. u being one of them...good job on the cat score buddy...
I dont think that this issue can be addressed on the individual forum ...as suppose i want to find out in which IIM Operations is good....If i ask XYZ guy of one IIM , obviously his view will be slightly tilted towards his IIM .and there fore we need a common forum where person can ask these queries....where guys from different IIM can justify and can put prone n cons under one umbrella...
Dear IITtIIM

It might be the question like you say. But all I was telling DSM was that a new thread is not required for answering a single question. There are query threads open for all 6 IIMs. So if he really wants an answer to his question he could post it on those threads and get it answered immediately

Anyways let the mods decide on this. I am entitled to my opinion :)

Peace
Mridul

My two cents.
Mr Mridul,
It is not ONE of the MANY questions asked in interview ?
It is THE QUESTION, which can make or mar your all efforts.
Many of our friends , seniors having multiple CALLS must have faced this.

Its but quite easy for A, B or C , but for L I K or others , the question becomes a major issue. It needs justification and guys may crash in such scenarios.

You cannot hide your other CALLs but be prepared to stand by your candidature.

This unique problem needs to be addressed on a common forum and not individually and sectorially murmured in corners of different IIMX forum.

I hope I am getting understood.

The guys across the table in IIM interview are competent enough to thrash your loose answers.

Dear IITtIIM

It might be the question like you say. But all I was telling DSM was that a new thread is not required for answering a single question. There are query threads open for all 6 IIMs. So if he really wants an answer to his question he could post it on those threads and get it answered immediately

Anyways let the mods decide on this. I am entitled to my opinion :)

Peace
Mridul