why i think i should choose B over C..

12 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
hi guys, i got calls from BCLIK and was totally confused between B and C. but after a lot of thinking and talking to ppl, i think i'm set to join B. here's why: In all parameters ( infra/ course/ linkages/ placements etc) B and C appear ...
Page 1 of 2
vahgar
@vahgar  ·  282 karma

I wish I had these kind of problems..*sigh*

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Cant believe this thing has already took off!. That too uninititated by any call getter from B and C. Last year i witnessed similar thing on PG after final results, and I now realise how silly this whole comparision game is!.

I know its a cliche to say " both instis have their own merits etc" but it is so true. I think its time now for the call getters to focus on cracking their gd/pi s instead of wasting time on futile discussions.

BTW, i am a first year student of IIM C.

ATB to the callgetters.

:wow::wow: Would you pelase look at the date of the thread before bumping up..?:)

Cant believe this thing has already took off!. That too uninititated by any call getter from B and C. Last year i witnessed similar thing on PG after final results, and I now realise how silly this whole comparision game is!.

I know its a cliche to say " both instis have their own merits etc" but it is so true. I think its time now for the call getters to focus on cracking their gd/pi s instead of wasting time on futile discussions.

BTW, i am a first year student of IIM C.

ATB to the callgetters.

and finally som take on Rankings, dont give in to the numbers game, it's somthin tht mags use to drive their numbers].TRUE

myself am a student of IIMC ..my 2 cents on this hot potato topic..

Place and location: Blore is certainly a better place to be in regards climate, insti's proximity to city ( matters only on sat nites), and Blore's gen metro ambience.C 's campus does score a point in this case, it's absolutely beautiful. Proximity to business centre mebbe better in blore wit regards software firms but Cal has made som strides in tht too wit CTS and PWC havin major centres here.

Academia and programmes: C's academia in FIN, ECO, SYS, HR and OPR rates gud in my perspective. In marketing they have the programmes taken by hands on people who does it well. HLL and ITC, (wht more can u ask for) Am not makin a comparison here coz lack of personal exp of B's profs. Rating of profs is based on the prof's ability to inspire u to gen a interest in the subject, (rest of the takeaway frm the academia is really up to ur efforts). Programmes C offers the maximum no of electives. period.Programme rigour: slightly higher at B, tht also stands for better prep for mid and end terms coz of higher weightages in C.

Placements nd Industry ratings: Nothin much to differentiate except for more Fin offers in C ( ppl r more here) C is been seen as better performers by industry. All i can say for tht mebbe given the freedom the insti gives it makes better individuals out of the students.it's a personal opinion.

Infra , Life : Hostels classrooms etc, nothin much to differentiate.. Food, has had both, both wil rate adjustable. NET and use of NET for edu and etertainment purpose C wil rate better. Life, cooler at C neday even wit attendance. CLubs and other activities, C has vibrant and active clubs ( adventure, dramatics, entrepreneurship, marketing, consulting, colloquia etc) and guess it must b almost similar @ B. Both hav interschool business fest they can boast of. and constant industry interaction programmes.

Alumni: C has a better connected and larger alumni and the life at C does build a certain comraderie among them tht's quite amazing. B is comin up in it's efforts to engage their alumni in a better way. C also i can assure u is not sitting still over tht,

Bureacracy, PR : This is wht i perceive ( could b wrong) C's faculty take a idealistic view of the process of disseminating education. They sincerely believe that it should not be drawn from tht lofty perch to the ground by using PR etc to market their insti. They do market the MDP programmes to corporates so it's not tht they r totaly averse to marketing. Bureacracy again is a fallover of this feeling but in 2 years at C it really doesnt bother u much.

Insti's offers u certain takeaways namely jobs, knowledge ( or resources for gaining tht), contacts, insights on business, life, skill sets ( both business wise nd gen). But it depends on ur effort and interests wht u take away from it in the 2 years.

Have tried to giv a unbiased view as much as possible. and finally som take on Rankings, dont give in to the numbers game, it's somthin tht mags use to drive their numbers.

Have u been to Either of hostels that u r comparing them???? Okay i duuno know about new furniture and stuff ... I have seniors at both the places and can say very confidently that the hostel quality is almost same at both the places. Its in the food quality that B scores over C. Food is better at IIMB hostels.

Woooo dude . Chill out . You're taking to a little too personally . I too have seniors and relatives who have studied at both IIMB and IIMC . The B wallahs say the hostels are decent , while most of the C wallahs didnt like their hostels . Food , I have no idea .

... a view corraborated by the fact that I-Banks and others, taking ppl for finanace, give more no. of offers in IIMC.

Actually , the main reason why I banks and fin. cos have gone for C over B this yr. is that the current IIMB batch (2002-04) was the batch which had a lotta workex in the IT industry . MOre than 80 % were guys with workex , and most of them from IT . So naturally many of them wanted to return to software and systems . Its also easy to understand why I banks would not want to recruit guys with software exp. I guess the placement details of the next batch , or the summers details of the present batch will be a better indicator .

NIkhil

Kishore Warrier (IIM-C batch of 2004) had offers from both B and C. He chose the latter because (quoting him) "there is no attendence in C"

As apocryphal as it may sound, those who know him, can vouch it is true. He ended up with a package of 9.5lpa (vertical) with J&J.; One of the highest paying Indian jobs on campus in any of the IIMs.

My point is that, wherever you go, never think that chosing option (a) over (b) because of rankings or average pay is going to affect YOUR placement drastically. Yes an IIM is a safe-bet over a Badruka College of Mgmt. But among the top, there is very little to diffrentiate.

So, choose one, and have a good reason for that. Then forget about it.

Things like facilities and infrastructure, methinks are pretty petty diffrentials. More or less everything is *up there*. Also as someone correctly pointed out, staying Bangalore or Cal wouldnt make much of a difference, as going out of campus everyday would have a probability of tending to 0 :P

Arun

India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com

A very interesting discussion..but then highly subjective actually! I think it would be only fair only if ppl who have either passed out or presently doing in either of the institutes give their unbiased...I repeat...unbiased
opinion...but a very dicey decision to take nonetheless! and good point have put so far...

Girish...!

In industry IIMC grads a tag bit more respected than IIMB grad(an iimb alumni told me that).
Overall there is not much of a diff.
A desicion can be reached based on wat specialization u want .... thatto is becoz of what the instis wanted there focus tobe not becoz faculty is bad or anyother reason .............. stiill if u dunno go by that too and just select anyone due to other/personal reason ... there wudn't be any recognizable harm

Finanace : IIMC
MArketing: IIMB
Sytems: both parallel B coz of It industry there .. .C traditionally so ... and also coz of large no. of engg. grads

If u wanna go for a consulting job, IIMC traditionally has been getting more job offers in this feild. Not that IIMB gets much lesser.

You have summed it up so well that i hav eno poinst to add but a living example around me...

One of my elders hails from IIMC (rejected by IIMB during GD/PI) ... His name is Arun Nagpal... I hope a couple of last years IIMC grads might recognize him as panelist in Delhi... He is a reputed consultant now and has seen lots of ups and downs but what he says is that the industry no matter where u go in India assumes an IIMC grad a tad above an IIMB grad (those from IIMB might find it sour) and to add to it my uncle actually aspired to go to IIMB but the way things have turned out he is more than happy.... And he is not the sole example with all his friends doing equivalently good or better.

On the other hand also know of some examples from IIMB (all hail from systems/finance) but I guess if i tell you that you would accuse me of holding bias against IIMB..

And as far as hard work is concerned....No matter if you goto even MDI ...you have to work real hard to stay on the top. :wink:

Besides the best reflection of an institute is its median salary and not avg or max salary...so if you go to IIMB to have fun & enjoy the city then look at its min. placement salary but if u r ready to put ur ass on fire to stay among the top then look forward to something between the median and the max.

ATB

Abhishek
hi guys,

1. placements (most important): avg salary figures r misleading. but consider that C had arnd 330 offers for 240 odd students, while B had 356 offers for 180 odd students...B is the winner....isn't it?

U think that no. of offers is important ?? That will generally happen if severe job losses are allowed. Say i allow the top 10% of the batch to get 10 placements each ... svere job loss. ... but my total offers will climb up like anything. Its not at all a good criteria to compare institutes.

2.industry interface is bound to be much better in B than C...Cal is losing it's reputation as an industrial town. it's much easier to access industry in B.

hmmm .... seems u are out of info ... its now that cal is coming up as industrial town. with many companies oopening up branches there. Ask guyz who were selected for PwC (and many more)summers at IIMB where they have been placed ... in Cal. Also Bangalore can boost of only IT industries ... nothing major apart from that.

3.As a city, B is much better to live in than C. perhaps we won't find time to hang out in town etc... but climate, diastance from home etc are important factors.

Agreed ... but ask IIMB ppl how much time they get to hangout

4.IIMB appears to be a more professionally managed institute than C, where government bureaucracy is still prevalent.

Okay agreed to that too, but the way u put it ... it may be slightly less professionaly managed ... but is not at all that bad that u can use govt. bureaucracy for it.

5. ppl say that B is good at PR, they package their insti very well..so it "appears" as a good place to be in.....ditto the reason for good rankings(no.2 always when it comes to recruiters). But i feel if it can market itself well, recruiters, faculty and reputation follow....what's the harm?

Nah its not that way ... Recuiters always rank IIMC better than IIMB. Its is the students that rank IIMB before IIMC. And its not Pr that will give reputation.

6.B is upcoming..it hasn't yet got complacent abt it's position...while ppl say C lost out to A in the 90's itself coz it got complacent. So B is only gonna rise, whereas C can at best stay as it is....( that's not my opinion...something a few alumni told me)

Boy going by that logic you sud join IIML or maybe IIMk/I coz they are coming up in a big way.
Its not like the Reputation/other things grow in the same pace althrough the time period. The attain an asymptote. After 25-30 yrs there is nothing like gonna rise ... it will grow slowly, with both institute at almost same slow rate.

7. ppl( including me) are attracted to C's easy paced life...but my iimc mentor himself tells me it's an illusion....attendance has been made compulsory now..that adds to the rigour.

Okay agreed to that

1. Many ppl think that IIMC is better in Fin . Recent BSchool ratings have put IIMB at no.1 in Fin , ahead of IIMA and C .

Again rankings!!!
Okay i will give u logic y IIMC is considered best in Finance... IIMC ppl follow quantitative system of studies ... Finanace is quant isn't it?? ... that's y IIMC ppl are considered good in Finanace ... a view corraborated by the fact that I-Banks and others, taking ppl for finanace, give more no. of offers in IIMC.

2. HOstels at IIMC are supposed to be in a very bad state . B is apparently gertting new furniture for the hostels .

Have u been to Either of hostels that u r comparing them???? Okay i duuno know about new furniture and stuff ... I have seniors at both the places and can say very confidently that the hostel quality is almost same at both the places. Its in the food quality that B scores over C. Food is better at IIMB hostels.

Although , there is 1 very imp point in fav of IIMC . IIMC has only mid and end term exams . But in IIMB , the final grade is a combo of mid terms , end terms , assignments , class tests and quizzes and class participation . If your the type who studies only at the end of the term , then IIMC is more suited .

Agreed to that. But its not like just the midsem and endsem there are presentations and quizzes in btw ... but yes Mid sem and End sem have major weigtage.

All said ... its a recognized fact that more ppl favor IIMB over IIMC than IIMC over IIMB, given the choice, but its not because of the insti but becoz of the city. In industry IIMC grads a tag bit more respected than IIMB grad(an iimb alumni told me that).
Overall there is not much of a diff.
A desicion can be reached based on wat specialization u want .... thatto is becoz of what the instis wanted there focus tobe not becoz faculty is bad or anyother reason .............. stiill if u dunno go by that too and just select anyone due to other/personal reason ... there wudn't be any recognizable harm

Finanace : IIMC
MArketing: IIMB
Sytems: both parallel B coz of It industry there .. .C traditionally so ... and also coz of large no. of engg. grads

If u wanna go for a consulting job, IIMC traditionally has been getting more job offers in this feild. Not that IIMB gets much lesser.