Why do engineers deserve more than commerce students to get into top b-schools ?

6 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
Hi friends, I am here for some discussion regarding one doubt which has been niggling me for some time. I dont intend to cast aspersions on anyone or any particular group of people. I appreciate the efforts put in by engineers to get into best...
Page 1 of 1

A typical CAT paper consists of various sections. Let analyze each section and see whether the CAT paper really benefits an engineer.

Section 1 - English
Every student is at an equal level when it comes to English. English is not taught specially during engineering. Its taught as a common course to everyone till 12th. Infact graduates from Literature,Journalism etc are at an advantage.

Section 2 - Data interpretation
As its said in the first post that commerce grads are better suited at handling various sheets,records,graphs etc hence i feel the advantage here goes to commerce grads as they are much more used to handling graphs n stuff.
Engineering has just one course in statistics which is so basic that its the same one taught in 12th to eco students.

section 3 - logical reasoning
Again a course which is not taught specifically to engineers. Involves basic reasoning and problem solving by applying logic. This section totally depends on the logical strength of the individual.

section 4 - quant
Ok. Engineers do study maths/physics etc during engineering. But the level of quant asked in CAT is basic 10th class stuff. A cursory reading of the 10th class maths book is enough to make you aware of all the formulas etc. After that how efficiently its applied is again an individual trait.

So lets sum up.
sec 1 (VA)- advantage to engineers: nil (infact advantage to english grads)
sec 2 (DI) - advantage to engineers: nil (infact advantage to commerce grads)
sec 3 (LR) - advantage to engineers: nil
sec 4 (QA) - advantage to engineers: very little

So now when we again look at the premise that engineers are at an advantage when it comes to CAT, we can see that the advantage is much more for commerce/english grads rather than engineers.

The reason for large number of engineers applying and converting is simply in the numbers my friend. The bulk of the country does engineering after 12th. Most of them have no satisfactory jobs. Hence everyone goes for an MBA. If the number of commerce/english/b.sc grads was also as high as engineers then we wouldn't be seeing this parity.

PS: me too a typical engineer 😃

5 likes
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi friends,
I am here for some discussion regarding one doubt which has been niggling me for some time. I dont intend to cast aspersions on anyone or any particular group of people.
I appreciate the efforts put in by engineers to get into best MBA institutions. 1)But I am not able to understand one thing that how do engineers get admission in the top b-schools. If we look at all the best mba institutes, maximum number of jobs are offered in either consulting or banking/finance and many top b-schools have more 90% students or more are with engineering background. I don't understand how an engineer is in a better position to do equity market analysis, analyse macro and micro economic situation etc. than a commerce graduate. Doesnt anybody think there is something really wrong with our education system ? 2.The format of the entrance tests itself gives an advantage to all engineering students.
Do you really think that an engineering grad can analyse balance sheet as well as a commerce grad ? They don't know anything about accounts (obviously before doing mba) and still they are able to bag roles in investment banking/treasury/risk advisory etc. I mean I don't doubt their calibre but I really think that if business schools take commerce grads and groom them, then they will be anytime better than engineering grads.3. Please don't tell me that engineering students are smarter than commerce grads because if they were really smart they should have known their interest before choosing engineering as a career. I know that engineers do have subjects related to finance in their last year but that can't be compared to what commerce students have been studying for five years.
Any insights would be appreciated.
P. S. - I am obviously talking about mba in finance which is highly preferred by mba aspirants. My intention is not to start any "commerce vs engineer" topic but 4.I am really appalled by the way our education system works.

1. If 80% of appearing junta are engineers( PG data last year, 1.4l out of 1.8l were engg) then how do you expect lesser no of engineers in colleges?
I will ask one question why isn't 80% junta who appears are non-engineering grads? :grin:

2. If you call basic maths learned at school gives advantage to engineers then no comments on that 😃 and yes engineers never study a bit of maths(cat/other competitions type) in any of the 4 years.

3. How many enggs appear for MBA? . Hardly 1-1.5 lakh. How many engineers our country churns out every year? 10-12lakhs. So what's wrong with less than 10% of engineers opting for MBA? There are many who make their careers in specific engg sector. And in that 1-1.5 lakh enggs there are many who have gained experience in corporate world and later want to move up the career ladder.

4. Don't get appalled. Cat is not UPSC. It's an easy crackable exam. Work hard and grab(snatch) a seat. And since you have studied the finance subjects you will always find your way easier than engineers in the school. You talk about engineers cracking the exams , someone will talk about reservations. World is never fair for all. :grin:

Hope it helps a bit. :)

This discussion has already taken place at several points on PG and I guess mods should look into the matter.:)
Hi friends,
I am here for some discussion regarding one doubt which has been niggling me for some time. I dont intend to cast aspersions on anyone or any particular group of people.
I appreciate the efforts put in by engineers to get into best MBA institutions. But I am not able to understand one thing that how do engineers get admission in the top b-schools. If we look at all the best mba institutes, maximum number of jobs are offered in either consulting or banking/finance and many top b-schools have more 90% students or more are with engineering background. I don't understand how an engineer is in a better position to do equity market analysis, analyse macro and micro economic situation etc. than a commerce graduate. Doesnt anybody think there is something really wrong with our education system ? The format of the entrance tests itself gives an advantage to all engineering students.
Do you really think that an engineering grad can analyse balance sheet as well as a commerce grad ? They don't know anything about accounts (obviously before doing mba) and still they are able to bag roles in investment banking/treasury/risk advisory etc. I mean I don't doubt their calibre but I really think that if business schools take commerce grads and groom them, then they will be anytime better than engineering grads. Please don't tell me that engineering students are smarter than commerce grads because if they were really smart they should have known their interest before choosing engineering as a career. I know that engineers do have subjects related to finance in their last year but that can't be compared to what commerce students have been studying for five years.
P. S. - I am obviously talking about mba in finance which is highly preferred by mba aspirants. My intention is not to start any "commerce vs engineer" topic but I am really appalled by the way our education system works.

life is not fair get over it.

@mods request to close this thread and delete it.

Stating the obvious politically incorrect truth is a crime worse than cold blooded murder.

Also, this is not exactly a forum for the same, unfortunately :)

Dear moderators, Please move the thread in the correct category if possible or let the question be asked in the correct thread.
Hi friends,
I appreciate the efforts put in by engineers to get into best MBA institutions. But I am not able to understand one thing that how do engineers get admission in the top b-schools. If we look at all the best mba institutes, maximum number of jobs are offered in either consulting or banking/finance and many top b-schools have more 90% students or more are with engineering background. I don't understand how an engineer is in a better position to do equity market analysis, analyse macro and micro economic situation etc. than a commerce graduate. Doesnt anybody think there is something really wrong with our education system ? The format of the entrance tests itself gives an advantage to all engineering students.
Do you really think that an engineering grad can analyse balance sheet as well as a commerce grad ? They don't know anything about accounts (obviously before doing mba) and still they are able to bag roles in investment banking/treasury/risk advisory etc. I mean I don't doubt their calibre but I really think that if business schools take commerce grads and groom them, then they will be anytime better than engineering grads. Please don't tell me that engineering students are smarter than commerce grads because if they were really smart they should have known their interest before choosing engineering as a career. I know that engineers do have subjects related to finance in their last year but that can't be compared to what commerce students have been studying for five years.
P. S. - I am obviously talking about mba in finance which is highly preferred by mba aspirants. My intention is not to start any "commerce vs engineer" topic but I am really appalled by the way our education system works.

Ha Ha.....!!!!
Hi friends,