Why Blog - Money/Fame/Fun

4 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
I was wondering why we blog at all. Is it because we dream of earning millions through blogs, as advertised by some of those loser sites? Or is it because we calculate the hits we receive everyday and feel good about them? Or maybe because we just...
Page 1 of 1
Abhishek_fr_CAT Says
1. I blog because I love to write. Blogging is a means to share my writings with some gifted people in English (the thread starter being a case-in-point) and thereby improve upon the quality. Also, I think a lot about a lot of things () and blogging/writing thus becomes an outlet to express my thoughts. Money was never a motivation and therefore, Adsense does not feature on my blog. :biggrin:

Well, the thread starter is not a case in point, Abhishek. I'm merely above average in English, and not 'gifted'. Though yes, sharing one's writing with others is a good way to improve written english. The more one writes, the better one becomes. :thumbsup:

2. In my opinion, blog popularity is very important since in a way, it is a measure of the quality of your blog. The best compliment for a blogger is when someone likes a post so much that he passes the link to his mates and they too enjoy it.

In a way, yes! It is encouraging to see people from far and wide visiting you, and commenting on what you write. :)

One thing which I would like to add is your blog's design. Something which is clean, minimalistic and yet elegant adds brownie points to your content. Also the design should complement your blog's content. Proper arrangement of labels, blogroll, "About me" and other such gadgets make it easy for a visitor to navigate his way through your blog.

Brilliant! Many blogs I've come across either are too minimalistic, or put every gadget under the sun on their pages. Both are equally painful. Let's face it, even a good product doesn't sell without packaging.
a separate thread for that.

naiquevin Says
Now I mainly blog to share what I know and learn and to build a good resource which others can find useful. As of yet I am not showing any ads, but hopefully, someday I can get ebough readers and start making money from my blogs

I had also dreamt of earning billions through my blog. :banghead: But thankfully, soon progressed to writing just for the fun of it. Yes, I'd like my blog to be more popular, and to interact with more and more people around the world.

And yes, your learning points from the article are pretty good. I will keep them in mind. 😃
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

My main intention behind starting a blog was to improve my writing skills which are considered as an important criteria by many b-schools in their selection process.
But I have to accept that, I did consider the revenue generating ability of blogging as well ...
Now I mainly blog to share what I know and learn and to build a good resource which others can find useful. As of yet I am not showing any ads, but hopefully, someday I can get ebough readers and start making money from my blogs

sumitrocks Says
Is it because we dream of earning millions through blogs, as advertised by some of those loser sites?

The sad thing is that when people generally start out the first things they manage to find are the loser sites which are quite misleading in terms of the money making prospects of blogging.

I dont see anything wrong in making money from blogs by displaying ads if you are sharing good content, that is.

I had read an excellent article posted by a senior blogger on WebmasterWorld News and Discussion for the Web Professional forums .. will be a bit difficult to find it out now since I dont remember his username there, but I can still remember some excellent points that he had raised. ... I ll try to put them in my own words here

1) he said that, on the web, content is the king, even if you see a number of sites and blogs with poor content and having many ads, thats temporary and cannot be sustained for long. These ppl resort to some other money making techniques ... lets not get there.

2) While there are people who manage to quit their day time jobs and focus completely on blogging, this happens only after owning many blogs and many years of blogging experience.

3) Original content attracts readers by itself! (dont know how this works!)

4) Some efforts towards site promotion are essential to get people to read your blog. You cant just keep blogging and expect visitors to grow fast solely because of the content.

An amazing analogy that he had come up with - Your website/blog is like a town, which may be having all facilities in it, schools, hospitals, roads etc.. but it is of no use if there are no external roads leading to this town .. which are links that develop through online site promotion.

There are many articles discussig ways of online marketing.. some I can think of are mutual link exchanges, social networking sites, digg, email signatures etc.

5) Content considered good for print media may not be all that good for the web. If your writeup fails to make the initial impact, the user is just one cllick away from another website.

6)Regularly updating the blog is important..(this is where I lack imo.. )

7) It takes a long time and requires patience...

As I said, the credit goes to a certain guy at the forums.. but I completely agree with him..

Will try my best to find out the original article ..

Nice thread, Sumit. :thumbsup:

My two cents :-

1. I blog because I love to write. Blogging is a means to share my writings with some gifted people in English (the thread starter being a case-in-point) and thereby improve upon the quality. Also, I think a lot about a lot of things () and blogging/writing thus becomes an outlet to express my thoughts. Money was never a motivation and therefore, Adsense does not feature on my blog. :biggrin:

2. In my opinion, blog popularity is very important since in a way, it is a measure of the quality of your blog. The best compliment for a blogger is when someone likes a post so much that he passes the link to his mates and they too enjoy it.
One can keep the link to the blog in his signature on forums, mention that in his status messages and write mails to people but NOTHING beats content. People will visit your blog the next time if and only if they are impressed by the content on show.

Sumit mentioned a few good points to increase blog popularity and I reiterate them here -

1. Awesome and regular content
2. Pin-point accuracy in spellings, grammar and vocabulary
3. Visiting other blogs and commenting meaningfully
4. Getting your blog rated by sites like Technorati and Indiblogger

I am sure Sumit will elaborate on these points as the thread takes a meaningful course.

One thing which I would like to add is your blog's design. Something which is clean, minimalistic and yet elegant adds brownie points to your content. Also the design should complement your blog's content. Proper arrangement of labels, blogroll, "About me" and other such gadgets make it easy for a visitor to navigate his way through your blog.

Goals I have in mind for my blog - I have no concrete goals as such, but yes it feels very good when I see the visitor count increase and visitors coming in from different locations around the globe. () Comments, and encouraging ones at that, give immense pleasure and act as a fillip for me.
In the short-term, I'd be very happy if good bloggers feel that my blog is worthy enough to be included in their blogroll. :)

Regards and Cheers
Abhishek

PS - Don't use this thread to just post the link to your blog. :nono: There is a separate thread for that.

I was wondering why we blog at all. Is it because we dream of earning millions through blogs, as advertised by some of those loser sites? Or is it because we calculate the hits we receive everyday and feel good about them? Or maybe because we just enjoy writing about what we see/feel/hear?

Also, we keep wondering about how to get people to read our blogs? This is not meant to be an exercise in advertising, but then, what if you write good content but no one reads it? So, we ought to discuss how we can rise up the popularity rankings.

(I'm hoping that people with 'spammy' or non-quality blogs will also read this section because they have no realistic future unless they switch to writing quality.)

Surely, we can understand the world of both professional and personal blogging better though discussions here. I look forward to hearing the reasons for blogging that you have, and what your goals are for your blog.