I am pursuing my final year of BMM at Wilson College, Mumbai.
Just a month to go for my final exam.
I was interested in Design (Communication) from FYBMM itself and had attempted the NID entrance but couldn't get through. In the past three years I have not consistently engaged with the field but have picked up software skills and some design principles from some of the course subjects (Advertising Design, Branding) so I have an understanding of design which is very brand conscious.
Along with three friends I started a page called Monkey in a Box (https://www.facebook.com/MonkeyinaboxDesign) for
Brand Identity Design
Music Videos for Independent Artists
(You might notice there are too many different things but then again the four of us had diverse skill sets and we didn't know what we were best at, we wanted to learn on the job!)
We tried doing a few things but then got busy with college assignments.
We did land a client but didn't see the project through its completion. We had really bad communication and working system and got into disagreements over pricing etc. So we stopped. Maybe we gave up too early. I don't know. My team wants to start over again after the exams but I have a feeling we are not ready for it. We can do a decent job of the above services but we are too naive and don't understand the business side of things.
So now I have decided to defer the idea of starting up and do an MBA for the following reasons-
1. It will give me a better understanding of how to run a business. Especially how finances work and how the world outside works and how it affects any business.
2. It will help me network better. After a few years of work experience I will know more people including people I meet during the course and in and outside office.
3. I will have a better idea of the communication/design needs and therefore will be able to offer a more distinct offering/service. So the next time around I will start off more focused.
4. I will have more credibility in the market to raise money for my venture.
5. If it doesn't work out I still have a professional degree which can help me get my job back!
So there are two questions I want to ask-
1. Which college will offer me an MBA that will meet my purpose? I have heard of entrepreneurship programs/electives in top B-schools.
2. Should I instead pursue an Masters in Design and be thorough with my skills? I like designing, I take particular interest in doing things myself but I know for a fact that I don't want to be labor for the rest of my life.
I know it may sound too dreamy but I would like to quit by 35 or something and teach for the rest of my life. I love teaching. But I know I don't have enough experience to bring something valuable to the classroom and am hoping by the time I am in my late 30s I will have gone through enough to be able to 'teach' ;)
I am currently 20 years old.