which is more lucrative? IT carreer as a techie vs MBA( non iim)

29 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
Iwant to know which sector is more lucrative a Top notch It comapny like sap labs or an mba from non iim institue like spjain, ximb etc.... guys especially from It sector...plz respond.
Page 1 of 3
Can any1 plz tel me whether it is possible for an electronics nd telecom engg. grad frm a reputed mumbai university college 2 get into any of the top IT companies lik google, MS, yahoo,etc..if the person is v skilled in coding nd simply loves coding..

If yes then wat m i supposed 2 do 2 get into one of these companies..sun java certification, M Tech or wat??

I m a bit reluctant 4 M tech coz GATE wud b lik doin d whole computer sci. engg. syllabus..nd i m nt a comp sci engineer...

In any case i m ready 2 do watevr it takes...so plz guide me..

I'm an ECE engineer as well. It's tough to get in companies like Google, Adobe & the likes, Google has 13 interview rounds before they let you in & Adobe has 11! Still if you're confident, then look for openings & apply. I think an M.Tech degree might help in getting a job in such reputed companies. I am not sure a certification will make it any easier.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Can any1 plz tel me whether it is possible for an electronics nd telecom engg. grad frm a reputed mumbai university college 2 get into any of the top IT companies lik google, MS, yahoo,etc..if the person is v skilled in coding nd simply loves coding..

If yes then wat m i supposed 2 do 2 get into one of these companies..sun java certification, M Tech or wat??

I m a bit reluctant 4 M tech coz GATE wud b lik doin d whole computer sci. engg. syllabus..nd i m nt a comp sci engineer...

In any case i m ready 2 do watevr it takes...so plz guide me..

Hi,

There are a number of ways to look at it. As some mentioned in case you actually love IT, then stick to IT. Becoming a manager would be based on your performance. I have worked in Wipro for 3 years and most of the managers do not have a post graduate degree. They have climbed the ladder because of the good work they have put in for the last 4-5 years and shown that they have good technical skills. They have poor people management skills but learn it over a period of time. So I am sure in companies like Wipro, Infy, TCS they managers not necessarily have a additional degree.

But an additional degree always help if not today some time in the near future.

can some body explain why guys with over 5 years of IT experience do mBA ... is it for money or something else...now plz respond to this

I left Wipro because I felt I was stagnating and moving up very slowly. Because of the recession a year back, there are currently too many guys having 4-5 years work ex. Salary I do not think makes too much of a difference after a certain time. It is more job satisfaction.

Also, what I have noticed in the last year or so was that the above companies are not too particular about guys with work-ex. They feel they can get freshers who are willing to do the same work, work harder because of the initial enthu and also are willing to get paid less. Nothing wrong with what the company is doing since they are increasing their profits with less exp.

My views on this. Sure not many guys would have the same view point. Open for discussion... :wink:

Can you tell me some figure of salary at which one should not go to IIM's. There are jobs for freshers from 2 to 6 lacs per annum. Are IIM's too good to leave any job u have? or is there a benchmark of salary, if u are below this then its good to go....otherwise not??
what do you think???

can some body explain why guys with over 5 years of IT experience do mBA ...
is it for money or something else...now plz respond to this

MBA for growth. More options, new horizons.
Money factor is always there and would always be there.
Even IIMs want more money to retain so called top faculty.

can some body explain why guys with over 5 years of IT experience do mBA ...
is it for money or something else...now plz respond to this

IT vs MBA is not a major issue..

I didnt understand ur point in this... u mean money wise its not a major issue???

iam new to IT so asking u this...

plz clarify.

As Ghulam said, he was given a chance to go to Scotland, but he chose to go for an MBA... Something similar happened to me too... I was working with a BPO unit in Ahmedabad, and I was offered to work with the client in the US. But, that meant I would have to drop management... And there was no way i was gonna do that !

Appeared for CAT 2003, had a good percentile, and am presently at MDI, Gurgaon, which is one of the best institutes in the country ! So, make a choice guys ! IT vs MBA is not a major issue... Even after MBA, you can still remain in contact with IT (Choose something like Information Management as your specialization). So, that is not an issue - A management degree essentially provides you with an opportunity to grow - not just in one sector, but across varied sectors ! And that is why i opted for management upfront !

Hope this post helps...

Samit.

well, if u r asking me, i don't work in any s/w co but will join infy on the 26th...so i just wanna know the salary i might get after a one yer stint at infy(avg performance), and after 2 year stint at infy...i wanna know the CTC n also in hand

Exactly its all worth it if its the iims but do u think is it even worth it to think non iims.. leaving so much ...getting the same after 2 years..

also for a guy who just doesnt have it in him to make it iims...and has a plush It job he should go for a international mba ...

becuse then only its worth it.

P>S: waise which s/w company u work for..