Whether to drop for CAT or continue with job??..fresher seeking guidance

12 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
I am a fresher(2006),Mechanical-B.Tech. I am in a dilemma to whether continue with job or to drop for preparations of CAT. Please do help me. Thanx!!
Page 1 of 2
Hi Guys,

I am really in 2 minds this days and having brain stroming sessions with myselfs everday. I m working in Financial BPO since last 2 years now, and earning a cool 18k salary. i m planning 2 resign from my Job and Go for cat 06. my preveious exp with cat in nothin worth to mention about igot meare 78%tile in cat04 and 86 in cat 05. Maybe because i had not give full fledged attempts.
Friends please guide whether i shuld leave my job and Concetrate on CAT 06 for 5 remaning months or continue with job. i am really confused.

Stick with job. It is not easy to sit at home and study. Pay is good, job is good. Try for CAT 07 studying in evenings and on weekends.

Otherwise, ISB and IIM-A PGPX gives opportunities for people who missed MBA earlier. Look around the forums. They are full of people aged 27-28, graduate degree, middle managers and preparing themselves for one year MBA.

Figure out how you can rise in your present job. BPO is god send opportunity unleashing India's human intellectual capital. CAT is a hidden mystery with 98% tile not getting IIM calls.To tradeoff between active opportunity and hidden mystery is not a wise decision.

Still if you want to take CAT, balance out. I gave same recommendation to my friend. He was also confused with a BPO job and CAT preps. He made a 15 months CAT plan devoting 1 hour daily for 5 days a week and 4-5 hours 2 times a week. 13-15 hours solid preps every week.

The number of hours which you are planning to slog for 5 months after leaving job, spread those hours over a longer period for CAT 07 thus attaining 2 fold objectives- 1)Finding an opportunity within opportunity 2) Appearing for CAT with good preps.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

As they say....if you are absolutely sure that you will be able to make it after quitting go ahead and do so..even i am gonna quit my job to prepare for CAT becuase its important for me to make it through a good B school and my health hasnt been supporting me enough to multi task!

Hi Guys,

I am really in 2 minds this days and having brain stroming sessions with myselfs everday. I m working in Financial BPO since last 2 years now, and earning a cool 18k salary. i m planning 2 resign from my Job and Go for cat 06. my preveious exp with cat in nothin worth to mention about igot meare 78%tile in cat04 and 86 in cat 05. Maybe because i had not give full fledged attempts.

Friends please guide whether i shuld leave my job and Concetrate on CAT 06 for 5 remaning months or continue with job. i am really confused.

I firmly believe in preparing for the CAT along with the job.If you get through good for you else atleast you have a job and a source of income to give it one more shot & moreover you are not dependent on anyone.Also, your work ex increases with time which cant hinder your prepartion in anyway !!

Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!

i am not sure whether i am elg 2 comment on this issue but still acc 2 my opinion its better 2 take CAT confidently than going for BPO ...
but it also depends on one's own interest too .... if u wish 2 have BPO career in future (if not mba) then u can opt ur bpo job ... but if u dnt wish 2 continue in ur bpo sector if u dnt crack cat then its better 2 take cat seriously parallely trying out some other job ....
some fields wont consider bpo experience .... so its jst money which u need 2 think of ...
if u r conf of cracking cat then dnt think abt convincing the interviewer abt ur sitting bck 4 cat ... ur conf ans can very well convince him /

Digital_Saint Says
I am asking it particularly in context of BPOs because these are the only jobs I am getting. How better is working in a BPO than dropping for MBA in the eye of the interview panel?

Not sure abt the BPO thing .. but one thing is for sure .. it will be better than dropping an year.

Also more imp than the kind of job .. its the progress u make and the way you present it to them that counts more !!
sahilgoyal Says
dropping for mba prep isnt taken in good stead by the Interview panel .. if you can back it up with a solid reason ... only then do it !!

I am asking it particularly in context of BPOs because these are the only jobs I am getting. How better is working in a BPO than dropping for MBA in the eye of the interview panel?
Digital_Saint Says
..and what about a job which pays you just about 10-12K(read BPO). Isnt it better to study 4-5 months for CAT rather than taking up such a job. Even if I sit for a BPO job after after November, I will still get it. What would you suggest? It is a matter of 5 months only.

1) do it only if u r confident of cracking the CAT

2) dropping for mba prep isnt taken in good stead by the Interview panel .. if you can back it up with a solid reason ... only then do it !!

3) A one month medical leave is a better option than a drop !!
..and what about a job which pays you just about 10-12K(read BPO). Isnt it better to study 4-5 months for CAT rather than taking up such a job. Even if I sit for a BPO job after after November, I will still get it. What would you suggest? It is a matter of 5 months only.

If you were close in cracking CAT last year (96-97% + ), you should opt for BPO job . You will get 2 days off in a week and a 10 day leave can be taken before CAT. In companies like convergys, you have 3 three months of traning which gives you ample time for studies.

But if CAT preparation has to be done from scratch/poor preparation , it is wise to slog for 5 months full time.

Cheers,