What's there for an average man?

26 Posts  ·  22 Users
About this group
Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But soon or late the man who wins Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN! _\- Walter D. Wintle - 1905_ Amazing quote to learn and say.....but not real nowadays. Mr. Wintle didn't ...
Page 1 of 3
#1 - You do not need degrees in life to be successful. We all have our definitions to what success is, define yours.
#2 - If your past is bad, you cant change it. Instead of cribbing here, think about how you can strive for excellence right from this moment. There is lot more to life.
#3 - It is completely upto you. You are average because you chose to be. Ask yourself, besides academics. Is there any one thing in life which you are really good at? If you are not then find out, what you are good at and then become excellent in it.
#4 - If you think you are not good at anything and is average, it is because you have not applied yourself and given your life a serious thought. It is your life and you should be responsible for what you make of it. Not IIMs, not your parents, not your boss. No one.
#5 - Working hard without a clue does not mean anything. You need to answer the fundamental questions about what you want to do and how well you are doing it. Once you find that out, you have solved half of the problem.

Not closing this thread. But if thread is just limited to cribbing, it will be.

Rohit

Good post Rohit... I guess this is something every person, who feels down and out in this rat race, should see.

Not that they don't know .. but at times when you are down, your emotion tends to get the better of your common sense and rationale.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
puys,
if u look at my situation, u all wud feel relaxed.
10th: 85%
12th: 71%
extra curricular activity: zero
grad(BE in entc): agg. 57% n since PUNE UNIVERSITY says only final year marks count then it is 66.66% but each n every college looks for aggregate one. 2009 PASSOUT
CAT: 79%ile
MAT: 93%ile
XAT: 65%ile
SNAP: 79
FMS: NOT SELECTED
IIFT: NOT SELECTED
TISS: CALL FOR GDPI(HRMLR)
NMAT: 3 ATTEMPTS(EVERY TIME I SCORED AROUND 187)
IBSAT: CALL FOR GDPI
CET: IN THE LINE
got a job thru college but thought that i shud seriously prepare for mba so didnt join. now i have land up with 2 yr drop, no work ex, nothing. i m a gal whose life is full of issues.
so tell me whose condition can be worse than this?

Similar problem here.Except for good entrance scores.If you convert TISS, all will be good from there.

Ok..so I guess its time for the success stories rather than the gloom and doom thats spreading over here..
Puys,
I am a normal guy, with an average IQ..
I have had 73 % and 75 % in 10th and 12th (commerce)
However, I managed a seat in a lower-rung Delhi University college for B.com.
In my second year, I joined TIME CP in Delhi which is supposed to be the best in its business, for a 1.5 year program in 2008. Didn't study much, though inculcated the habit of reading The Hindu for like 2-3 hours everyday. And got addicted to it.
CAT 2009 results said -
OA - 17.46 %ile

QA - 33.xx %ile
DI - 30.xx %ile
VA - 28.xx %ile

Now, my CAT 2010 scores are
OA - 95.62 %ile

VA - 99.61 %ile
DI - 81.44 %ile
QA - 72.25 %ile

A few learnings:
# Its not just about thinking of being a winner or having sufficient mental preparation, its about giving your sweat, blood and guts. Giving the next five minutes of your life to CAT, and then the next five, and then the next....and so on until you are at the other side. How many of the 2 lakh aspirants do that?
# Passion. How passionately do you want it? Someone had once asked Socrates to teach him the recipe for success. Socrates took him to a pond and submerged his head into the water there. The guy struggled to come out for a while but couldnt manage to do so. When Socrates took his head out he asked him what he needed the most? He replied- Air! Socrates said that you will achieve success only when you want it as badly as you had wanted air.
# Take responsibility for what you have done. You cannot be true to yourself if you put the onus of your bad performance on anyone else. Blame nobody. Accept it.
# Stay motivated throughout the course. Don't let your mind indulge in self-doubts and negativity at any point of time.
# Know your limitations, but constantly believe and pray for the best for yourself.
# There's always a favourite section. Find it out and give it equal amount of time as your weaker sections because the way the %iles work, it pays to have an exceptionally strong section as you can see in my scores.

PS- Guys I am really sorry for the badly written post. Feeling damn sleepy.
:cheers:
Mohit Sharma.

Thanks for a good inspirational story.Hope we both convert our dream colleges.

ppl are saying u weak
ppl say ur crying
ppl say blah blah blah
but they don't understand they also cried once,they were also dejected,they were also feeling defeated ,they were also alone and boozed down
but now they are shouting on u, why?????????????
coz they are not in that same situation as u are and why are they not in the same situation???????
u know i am a movielover and the solution to ur problem is simply written in lines of batman
"""" alfred- why do we fall master wayne??????
so that we can rise up again """"""

I love Batman Begins.:D
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!

- Walter D. Wintle - 1905

Amazing quote to learn and say.....but not real nowadays. Mr. Wintle didn't know about the MBA colleges in India, which depresses you at every moment of life because of your poor past.
I am very excited to start this thread for the guys who thinks that that there is very little for them in the world and trying again and again just gives them more and more chances to get depressed.
Though poor acads, less or average %ile can stop you from going to a good or top colleges, but they can't stop your success.
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough..
So be prepared and get your bag pack coz we are here to prove something that we know but the world don't.

Also I am looking for the queries of the students who wants good colleges, but lacking in other criterias.
Please open up and express your feeling and suggestions.
hey guys, I want to add one more thing that i started this thread just to share our feeling, to erase our pessimism. Please help me to search good colleges that have a criteria of 80 to 90 %ile CAT scores, so that people who think they have no option can get thousands of them.

Thanks
Parth Rajput

ppl are saying u weak
ppl say ur crying
ppl say blah blah blah
but they don't understand they also cried once,they were also dejected,they were also feeling defeated ,they were also alone and boozed down
but now they are shouting on u, why?????????????
coz they are not in that same situation as u are and why are they not in the same situation???????
u know i am a movielover and the solution to ur problem is simply written in lines of batman
"""" alfred- why do we fall master wayne??????
so that we can rise up again """"""
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Ok..so I guess its time for the success stories rather than the gloom and doom thats spreading over here..
Puys,
I am a normal guy, with an average IQ..
I have had 73 % and 75 % in 10th and 12th (commerce)
However, I managed a seat in a lower-rung Delhi University college for B.com.
In my second year, I joined TIME CP in Delhi which is supposed to be the best in its business, for a 1.5 year program in 2008. Didn't study much, though inculcated the habit of reading The Hindu for like 2-3 hours everyday. And got addicted to it.
CAT 2009 results said -
OA - 17.46 %ile

QA - 33.xx %ile
DI - 30.xx %ile
VA - 28.xx %ile

Normalised? I don't think so. Thats what I deserved maybe.
Because FMS gave me a score of around 9%ile. Yes. Thats it. No blames on Prometric or IIMs now.
Tried for 1-2 jobs, but couldn't clear the interviews, came back to my hometown in Gwalior, didn't join any coaching this time as I thought that it didn't help me last time and I still believe that they are only a waste of time and money. I only joined the Testfunda test series.

Now all I had at my disposal was nothing but me. Thanks to my massive failure, my parents didn't have much expectations from me.. So, I could basically do whatever I wanted, I could try all strategies, I could test my limits now because I had seen my nadir. I knew what the worst scenario was, and it was my CAT 2009 scorecard which had been put on my desktop background now for constant reminding. I still remember how much I cried after seeing my result, how I asked my girlfriend of 3 years to break-up with me because I had successfully proved that I am no good and after putting in 2 years of prep I could achieve nothing. Thanks to her for hanging in there :). BTW, I had also visited a psychiatrist to find out what was wrong with me, but the doc was late so I returned home. I promised myself that even if theres something wrong with me (I always thought that i used to choke under pressure) I am gonna do this and I will be so prepared that there won't be any room for any stress or pressure. Its a fact of life that I then discovered, if you REALLY want something, you gotta give it all you got and be so passionate about it that everything supports you in your endeavour.
Well thats all for now, I hope I could provide some food for thought to some of you. Will continue in the All I Wanted To Say About CAT thread, after I convert some decent b-school.
Thanks for your patience.
Now, my CAT 2010 scores are
OA - 95.62 %ile

VA - 99.61 %ile
DI - 81.44 %ile
QA - 72.25 %ile

A few learnings:
# Its not just about thinking of being a winner or having sufficient mental preparation, its about giving your sweat, blood and guts. Giving the next five minutes of your life to CAT, and then the next five, and then the next....and so on until you are at the other side. How many of the 2 lakh aspirants do that?
# Passion. How passionately do you want it? Someone had once asked Socrates to teach him the recipe for success. Socrates took him to a pond and submerged his head into the water there. The guy struggled to come out for a while but couldnt manage to do so. When Socrates took his head out he asked him what he needed the most? He replied- Air! Socrates said that you will achieve success only when you want it as badly as you had wanted air.
# Take responsibility for what you have done. You cannot be true to yourself if you put the onus of your bad performance on anyone else. Blame nobody. Accept it.
# Stay motivated throughout the course. Don't let your mind indulge in self-doubts and negativity at any point of time.
# Know your limitations, but constantly believe and pray for the best for yourself.
# There's always a favourite section. Find it out and give it equal amount of time as your weaker sections because the way the %iles work, it pays to have an exceptionally strong section as you can see in my scores.

PS- Guys I am really sorry for the badly written post. Feeling damn sleepy.
:cheers:
Mohit Sharma.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

puys,
if u look at my situation, u all wud feel relaxed.
10th: 85%
12th: 71%
extra curricular activity: zero
grad(BE in entc): agg. 57% n since PUNE UNIVERSITY says only final year marks count then it is 66.66% but each n every college looks for aggregate one. 2009 PASSOUT
CAT: 79%ile
MAT: 93%ile
XAT: 65%ile
SNAP: 79
FMS: NOT SELECTED
IIFT: NOT SELECTED
TISS: CALL FOR GDPI(HRMLR)
NMAT: 3 ATTEMPTS(EVERY TIME I SCORED AROUND 187)
IBSAT: CALL FOR GDPI
CET: IN THE LINE
got a job thru college but thought that i shud seriously prepare for mba so didnt join. now i have land up with 2 yr drop, no work ex, nothing. i m a gal whose life is full of issues.
so tell me whose condition can be worse than this?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My brief profile:
X----CBSE----85%
XII----CBSE----82%
Presently in final semester of computer engineering.

I am preparing sincerely for CAT 2011 and all other MBA entrances...have included a sample study plan..
My back-up option is IES(Engineering services examination by UPSC) in electronics...

Now for my CAT prep...Should I join Byju or CL or TIME test series??Someone very kindly donated me TIME material..all I want now is a test series..

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My profile-
Xth and Xllth -81 & 82
Graduation--No ex-curriculars and no work-ex
Still, i haven't given much focus on that and secured calls from some decent colleges.The only thing that's bugging me is how to defend this past performance when i don't have any reason to explain my past acads or non-activity in ex-curriculars.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

lets see
#1. he has loads of friends,toppers(front benchers) and people good in sports(back benchers)
#2. teachers dosnt point u out in class for being stupid
#3. he is good in sports too and dosnt look geeky on field
#4. girlfrnds(avg in looks)
#5. leads a normal life and enjoys everything by taking part in watever life has to offer
#6. no undue pressure to always excel

common yaar an avg guy is jack of all trades(remeber how in a game of cards called '29' jack is the card with highest point) it all depends how u take this buitiful gift GOD has given us, mee to avg guy

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Apurv Says
What the eff is this, LADIES? A thread for cribbing about what you cannot change and spreading gloom? If this were the army, you'd have been asked to clean everyone's toilets and run 20 miles everyday with a 10 kilo weight on your shoulders for posting this. Get it together!

Rightly said Apurv....

Guys, I repeat... We have just about 8 months to go b4 the next season starts.... Why dont we use this thread to share our preparation plans and discuss ways to overcome the shortcomings we feel we have?

Leverage on our strong points... Thats the best way to increase our chances...

Like my idea? Then please help build up a group..... (Something like the Underdogs Team)..... Can be done...... ryt?

Exams to come.... As follows:

CAT
XAT
FMS
JMET
SNAP
IIFT
NMAT
MH-CET
IRMA
MICA

And the big baap of all..... GMAT!

There will be enough chances in the coming months to emerge out of the average skin.... Lets not waste time and instead let focus on what we have....

Cheers!!!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What the eff is this, LADIES? A thread for cribbing about what you cannot change and spreading gloom? If this were the army, you'd have been asked to clean everyone's toilets and run 20 miles everyday with a 10 kilo weight on your shoulders for posting this. Get it together!

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...