What makes Chetan Bhagat so popular

20 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
Does he really deserve his success ?? If you visit his fan page you realize most of them have never read any other book than those of Bhagat ( some say that is what he is so good at making people pick up books who would never otherwise). But ...
Page 1 of 2

All of you seem to be his fan. So i will post an alternative argument that someone left on my blog long time back ( well not so long either)

"
chetan bhagat is writely called ekta kapoor of writers. He writes books which lot of people like but that doesnt mean that they are not crap.
ekta kapoor defends herself by saying that if you dont like it dont watch it. Chetan Bhagat gives similar arguments. its like people who shit on the road sides and railway tracks saying if you dont like dont watch it. Doesnt change the fact that they are shitting "

offensive words i know but there is some merit in it. Thing is numbers are not always everything. Best example is democracy. We know so many examples where best candidate loses ( for one our dear Manmohan Singh lost from the most high profile well educated constituency in India)

The poet Muhammed Iqbal said it best ( cant quote verbatim)

" Is raaz ko to mard e firangi ne kiya fash
Jamoriyat ek tamasha hain jisme
mardo ko tola nahin gina karte hain "

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Taking "The Class" and "Doctors" and comparing it with "Five point someone" you can actually see why both authors are successful. Both of them are stories about what are Dream Instis/ professions which most Indians/ Americans never get to. Hence the authors are effectively selling the populace a dream, about what goes on inside these instis.. both are simple, easy to understand and cut what is according to the general populace, "the crap part".. making it easy to read for them. Of course CB's books are more candyfloss, cause thats how Indians like them..

PS. You also have "Love Story" by Eric Segal and you can relate it with "2 states".. so is CB modelling his strategy based on Eric Segal??? Given "Doctors", I guess the next CB book going could be about the life of an Investment banker!!! any takers for this??

Well quite an insight of CB's mind...
But Life of an Investment Banker!!!
Dont think so...
It'll be boring just like Farhan Akhtar in Rock On...
An Investment Banker who was an aspiring Rockstar...

Taking "The Class" and "Doctors" and comparing it with "Five point someone" you can actually see why both authors are successful. Both of them are stories about what are Dream Instis/ professions which most Indians/ Americans never get to. Hence the authors are effectively selling the populace a dream, about what goes on inside these instis.. both are simple, easy to understand and cut what is according to the general populace, "the crap part".. making it easy to read for them. Of course CB's books are more candyfloss, cause thats how Indians like them..

PS. You also have "Love Story" by Eric Segal and you can relate it with "2 states".. so is CB modelling his strategy based on Eric Segal??? Given "Doctors", I guess the next CB book going could be about the life of an Investment banker!!! any takers for this??

Yeah he's worked for it...

Agreed. There are much better books written. His are more candy-floss ones and thats why people tend to like them specially the Indian Youth who try to relate themselves to the characters.
I'd rather recommend Eric Segal's The Class... This one's not candy-floss so people may not like it...But its a hell-of-a-read...

Chetan writes the genuine matter n write about the issues which one hardly touches.He takes so much risk n that is his speciality.

Ok so u think the God angle in 'One Night At Call Center' was genuine and a matter one hardly touches???
Well scores of channels like Sanskar,Astha etc. do that...
i think chetan is a brilliant writer. he is so much clear in his ideas and matter. he writes about the actual reality. he doesn't emphasize on using tricky words, but emphasizes on his sole aim of conveying to the youth. he is very much precise and to the point in his writings. he is the one who writes thinking in mind the power of pen. he knows wat a single and simple message or writing can do. There many other talented writers specially who writes on campus life. they are also perfect in their views. but surely chetan deserves his success.
I think he is fantastic........

Ha ha ha ha ha...
Man u r funny...
avinav2712 Says
Why give away something that I've thought of Anyway, he's learnt the nuances of book-writing enough to come up with a better title 😃 But just in case, in the case of that 0.0001% probability, that he chooses this very title for his next book, we can publish this link on the net and I can be famous

If nothing else the puys here would love to make a fellow puy famous...
Hi,
i think that chetan is one of those writers who think that they can change the world.they think that they can bring about change which is required in the society.
That change is evident from the movie 3 Idiots,where his writing skills came to the fore. The writers like chetan are the need of the hour and the need for the society like that of india.
Chetan writes the genuine matter n write about the issues which one hardly touches.He takes so much risk n that is his speciality.
He is brilliant and an IIMA graduate .Wat u can ask for a writer to be.:)
Thanks

Dude, what do u mean by taking risks???
He's writing plain reads that the audiences relate...
U talk about change; 'The Follow Your Heart' philosophy...
Scores of authors have written books on that one...
alokkhadgi Says
If the title's not on his mind u can surely forward this one...

Why give away something that I've thought of Anyway, he's learnt the nuances of book-writing enough to come up with a better title 😃 But just in case, in the case of that 0.0001% probability, that he chooses this very title for his next book, we can publish this link on the net and I can be famous
Does he really deserve his success ??

Yeah he's worked for it...

If you visit his fan page you realize most of them have never read any other book than those of Bhagat ( some say that is what he is so good at making people pick up books who would never otherwise). But then I feel there are many other writers who have written better books on campus life. I have ready many blogs on campus life much much better than his writings.
Agreed. There are much better books written. His are more candy-floss ones and thats why people tend to like them specially the Indian Youth who try to relate themselves to the characters.
I'd rather recommend Eric Segal's The Class... This one's not candy-floss so people may not like it...But its a hell-of-a-read...
avinav2712 Says
The title of his next book might be "Four Seasons of My Life" :D

If the title's not on his mind u can surely forward this one...