What is in store after an UK MBA?

25 Posts  ·  19 Users
About this group
Hi Guys - I am a newbie to this forum and I am planning to do MBA in the year 2012. Below are some of the Universities from which I have got admit: 1. Lancaster 2. Durham 3. Leeds 4. Edinburgh At this stage, I am m...
Page 1 of 3

Sorry either 'A' or min 2:1

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Roshni. Employment opportunity after the completion of degree in UK are very rare these days. There are not many jobs been created after the recession which hit UK in october 2008. I was working in Thames Water as a Finance Assistant at that point of time. Unfortunately there were many who had to loose their jobs after the recession.

I have one sugestion for you. If you managed to pass with very good grades A (min 2:2) you may apply for the graduate scheme. Once you manage to find work you can apply for Tier 2 Visa. Hope this helps. If you have any question you can direct it to sam@overseaseducationfinder.com
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have an admit from Lancaster in masters in management programme. This may be inappropriate for this thread,but can anybody give me an idea of the employability of the Msc Management courses in UK.I have 2 years of work ex in IT

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
From April 6, 2012 the PSW Visa has been stopped by UK Immigration Dept. Now the question is if there is any way a graduate can live and work in UK.
The answer is Tier 2 Work visa which is made bit easy for graduates after PSW visa has been stopped.
Criterias to get a tier 2 work visa
• You must find an employer willing to offer you a job and 'sponsor' you. Licensed employer to the UKBA and willing to offer a job and sponsor a graduate.
• Min Salary offered is GBP 20,000
• Must have a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD degree, or have completed the first year of a PhD. Postgraduate diplomas (unless a PGCE or PGDE teaching qualification) will not be accepted.
Law easier for Employer to offer job to International graduates
While having leave remaining on student visa, an emplyer can offer job to graduates. It will be easier for an employer to offer a graduate a permanent position in their company as it won't affect the restricted numbers of non-EU applicants that your employer can offer a job to
Once you have submitted a Tier 2 application, you can take a permanent full time job while waiting for the visa to be processed.
How many years Visa for Successful Applications?
Successful graduate applicants will be given a visa valid for 3 years, which you can extend for a further 3 years.
Whats next after 5 years?
After 5 years, one can apply to settle in the UK provided he/she is earning least GBP 35,000 per year or if the job is on the Shortage Occupation list or it is a 'PhD level' job.
Who to contact to for Work Visas?
University's Immigration Advice Service is not best source to contact to, rather questions should be directed to the HR (Human Resources) department of one's potential employer.

For more info please contact info@overseaseducationfinder.com or visit www.overseaseducationfinder.com
Like us page on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/OverseasEducationFinder
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am sorry I am not in a position to answer your question, but I have one of my own.
I am looking to apply to some of these schools for the 2013 season. What is the expense I should expect for the MBA. Also, how sensible would it be to loan that amount from a bank.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Guys,

I got MBA offers from following Universities for 2012 session:

1. Lancaster (UK)- with 3000GBP schol
2. Smurfit UCD (Ireland)- with 10k Euro Schol
3. Univ of Edinburgh Business School

I am doubtful about UK due to new visa implementation. Ireland also provides one year post study work visa and employment seems relatively easier.

Kindly let me know your valuable suggestions to decide it. Last date to deposit o confirm the place is approaching very fast for me.

Thanks!

Out of these 3 I would choose UCD and then Edinburgh.

I don't go as per rankings instead I decide the program on following criteria :

1.Course content should be something I want to do.
2.All 2 d tier schools being almost equal , the one I am choosing should offer something extra.
3. How is the faculty response to queries like contact information of current students and alumni for program feedback.

Of all the 2nd tier UK schools in my opinion based on dealings I had with them I feel faculty of Strathclyde , Leeds and Manchester is most open , helpful and appears to be genuine in their conduct.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Guys,

I got MBA offers from following Universities for 2012 session:

1. Lancaster (UK)- with 3000GBP schol
2. Smurfit UCD (Ireland)- with 10k Euro Schol
3. Univ of Edinburgh Business School

I am doubtful about UK due to new visa implementation. Ireland also provides one year post study work visa and employment seems relatively easier.

Kindly let me know your valuable suggestions to decide it. Last date to deposit o confirm the place is approaching very fast for me.

Thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I totally agree with you....I know people passed out from LBS & Oxbridge in 2011 / 2012 heading back to look for a job.... These are indeed top B-Schools, but in EU, situation is really bad, so it seems it's not a function of "brand", anymore.... And if someone coming out of "branded" B-School post paying USD 50K, expectations are on the higher side, which possibly can't be met in EU, in the current scenario...

I applied to Oxbridge & LBS last year with waitlist converts, I had to re-evaluate my decision & finally, had to drop the plans...

So, all the Best to those who are taking the plunge....

Not too sure about that, buddy.

Irrespective of whether is LBS or Oxbridge or Cranfield, nobody can take things for granted.

The primary responsibility of job hunting has to lie with the candidate. The strength of the brands will influence how many doors open up. But once they do, it's back to the candidate to prove to a potential recruiter that the extra expense/effort of applying of a work-permit for an international candidate will be worth it for the company.

I graduated from a top UK school when the visa rules were easier. But the struggle to bag good jobs was and still is going to be a challenge.

- SK
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have a admit from Strathclyde , Leeds, in UK . In France from Emlyon and EDHEC. Would it be better to go to France as visa rules allow you 1 year to find job post MBA.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Popeyed Says
If it is an admit from Oxford, you need not worry. You will easily land a job within a month. Congrats!!

Not too sure about that, buddy.

Irrespective of whether is LBS or Oxbridge or Cranfield, nobody can take things for granted.

The primary responsibility of job hunting has to lie with the candidate. The strength of the brands will influence how many doors open up. But once they do, it's back to the candidate to prove to a potential recruiter that the extra expense/effort of applying of a work-permit for an international candidate will be worth it for the company.

I graduated from a top UK school when the visa rules were easier. But the struggle to bag good jobs was and still is going to be a challenge.

- SK
Founder - MBA CRYSTAL BALL (mbacrystalball.com) | Twitter www.twitter.com/mba_cb
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...