What do you think about old age homes?

10 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
I don't know if there's a direct correlation between th elderly being dumped by their children and the mushrooming of old age homes all over the country. But somehow I feel that the more old age homes we have, the more elderly who are likely to be...
Page 1 of 1
kamywill Says
Yes every one should donate something for this type of cause.I thinks these care home should be encourage.

You've dug up a very old thread buddy! :oops:

Check out the date last post was made 7th May 2004!!

@Mods: Kindly do the needful. Please close this thread or merge it with some relevant thread.
You can DO/KNOW anything, but not everything!!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Yes every one should donate something for this type of cause.I thinks these care home should be encourage.

As for the deplorable conditions of some homes, the blame goes to the faulty administration and lack of commitment , and that is EXACTLY wat we must work against !

Shriyukta.

Isnt India famous for this ? faulty admin and lack of commitment and ofcourse BLAMING !! !! ??? i am a hardcore patriot, but guys, lets stop blaming and lets start working !!
Its easier said than done...How many of us would like to sacrifice some idle activity of ours ( like surfing the net or playing computer games ) to going out and actually making a difference for someone who needs it ??? ( i dont do it much either :oops: !!)
But yeah, as shriyukta said, more homes are needed so as to provide a safe ........shelter. lets pray and hope tht these safe shelters arent used much !!! (ie most old ppl can stay at their home comfortably and with respect !!)

I agree that old age homes encourage the availability of a second place for the older folks to be left, but if there aren't any such homes, where will the folks take shelter? I happen to visit an old age home, very frequently, and though yes there exist places where the conditions are deplorable, but thankfully, more and more better places are coming up , due to lots of committed people working for the cause .

Also , the homes are not only for people whose children have turned their backs on them, its also for people who have no one to look after them in old age, no where to go, no one to pay their medicine bills, thats when these places turn a safe haven. Many NGOs are involved with such projects , with Help Age India being the prominent example. Also, many schools encourage the students to visit these places and create awareness abt the conditions and the suffering older folks go thru' . I feel , old age homes should be encouraged , not to provide a safe dump but to provide a safe, comfortable shelter for a person when he's/she's no more capable of looking after his/her self. As for the deplorable conditions of some homes, the blame goes to the faulty administration and lack of commitment , and that is EXACTLY wat we must work against !

Shriyukta.

Ya Ami...the second point is very much valid...
I am involved in one such proj as of some, we have initiated it a year back and got the land (thanx a lot to the donor)...wish me luck that we will complete it successfully...
We need this atleast for the people who don't have kids or lost them in some tragedy...

well...i do agree wid thw woes abt old age homes -abt the ill treatment of kids..dumping their parents....But then we know such things Do happen....and at times Old Age homes do provide a better alternative to the house where the grand pas n mas get nothing but scoffings....
it helps them mingle wid others in the same situation making life seem a li'l more live-able..
but then there is another aspect to it as well....there r ppl who are in old age homes coz they have no one to live by...mebe kids out of town or no kids ...
So i'd say doing away wid old age homes isn't the best solution
1> the attitude of the youth towards their elders needs to change..>
2> have better old age homes...>
it cud be a part of our PG community service as well....good pt raised by u there Krishay...!

right now i/m not thinking about one
well on to something serious ...i fell "What do you think about old age homes?" ...
is a rhetorical question..... obviously no sane son/daughter would like his/her paremts to end up there....but what gets me thinking is that.....people who now have their parents in a old age homes once would have made up their mind never to do it to their loved ones.......but end up doing so...call it changes call it circumstances whatever........but its bad anyway.......hopefully i wont end up doing the same...

'dumping' our parents to such places is one of the worst thing we can ever do...

but there is definately a need for some good old age home, cause there are people who are not taking care of their parents, who are rude at them...or there are some unlucky people who have lost their kids in some tragedy...for them, this homes are good options...

I feel that the more old age homes we have, the more elderly who are likely to be "dumped there"

agree with u on tht 1...guess its the attitude nowdays... but ppl will say tht both hubby and wife are workin so tht who will take care of them.. keeping the maid in the house will not give the oldies company and tht thy are better off in old age homes....but mois heard horror stories abt these homes where the ppl are not allowe to move and are illtreated...also the food is substandard

whaddaya say??

XST

I don't know if there's a direct correlation between th elderly being dumped by their children and the mushrooming of old age homes all over the country. But somehow I feel that the more old age homes we have, the more elderly who are likely to be "dumped there"