What constitues a strong work experience (and other questions)

17 Posts  ·  12 Users
About this group
I am interested to know what thoughts other people have about what constitutes a good work-ex. In my case, I had a strong CS background (IIT Computer Science, 9+ GPA) and went into a very niche, small tech firm that was paying me a hell lot....
Page 1 of 2
In my view strong work experience is that end of the day you feel contended with what you did. Everyday is a learning phase especially when you are out there in the field. So do your best and get the experience
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Thanks everybody for your response ! They definitely provide different perspectives...

Anyone else with a different perspective on what is a strong work experience and what isn't ?
Especially in the context of what I have heard about the Indian/IT/male combination and how its dreaded and the need to differentiate ?

All of us would love to hear both the techie and the non-techie perspective....

You-know-who
A Confused Soul

Hey Confused Soul and everyone in the thread.

Let me give the non-techie perspective to this discussion, I work with and have worked with a BPO company (or another) for the last 6 years. I am now by virtue of my JD a Sr Manager in BPO Operations and by virtue of my experience and use a fixer.

I believe (and strongly so) that adcoms like HR recruitment teams in organisations have two standards for the candidates' profiles they look at:

1) the first is a documented gridlike set of qualities which are both published and talked about --these are usualy abstracts " intellectual vitality" " Demonstrated Leadership Potential" "personal qualitues and contributors"

2) the second is simple common sense and is not discussed openly, they are looking at "regular folks" "people like themselves" --- this is the adcoms' bias and at people who would definitely get employed post qualification-hate to have someone who will drop out midcourse.

With regards to the documented set of qualities i believe all of us would use the essays and the interview to pitch our claims -- my opinion; these are what in psychology is called self image projections on the interview board and there cannot be any differentiator here. Hence, i find the need to appear "regular" paramount along with a very strong future plan to join the workforce post MBA.

Now, what kind of work experience is strong- my opinion again- anything which shows Growth in terms of responsibility and knowledge; which means someone working on the same set of transactions thruout his workex would not be considered as having grown be that person a teller at the State Bank of India or a Cytologist working on a GM strain of Mushroom or a VLSI architect on the same project for the last 4 years-- but this dude can still modify his pitch (become a wildcard if need be) and hustle his way into the academic session.

Waise; considering a well rounded personality is in great demand .. mera meray techie bhaiyon sey anuroodh hai ki considering duniya mein itni saari IIT JEE applications hain or intey saarey institute ... why don't some of you all coach a bunch of needy IIT applicants for free--and then claim your being a pillar of community increase your social moral and intellectual responsibility and at the same time do some SUPW.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thnk a good domain knowledge in field whr u see ur self few yrs frm now.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Here's my two cents on what constitues a gud work-ex...
Even tho ur in IT , u can still differentiate urself if ur job-profile involves a lot of design , estimation and analysis both technically and functionally,,,,
To do all the above u gotto be 5-6 experienced BA(biz analyst) or u gotto be as lucky as i am .....
so my advice would be get into the business side of the analysis and design ur doing...not just the tech part...
Further, if ur in the ERP area, its a silver lining ...
people , please pour ur views on the same....

my profile
2004 graduate BITS Pilani,
Infosys......acting BA for a AMEX project

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Can you or anyone who's a veteran of school research please give me the list of the top 15 bschools in the US that have a guaranteed loan program for all admits without a cosigner who's a US citizen or Permanent Resident ans without a US Credit history ?

Thanks !
Confused_Soul

My suggestion, subscribe to businessweek.com, they have a very detailed view of each school program.
top of my head I can give u couple
1)W/H/S
2)Kellogg
3)MIT
4)Duke ?
5)Darden ?
6)Ross ?
7)Marshall USC
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Like your profile.
As i see it

a) Get a good GMAT score 720+ . Preferably 740+
(beleive you me it counts in the indian IT pool , irrespective of who says what )

b) Work exp : Well your pay dose not count and will not impress It is not a factor per se.
a) How many people do you lead
b) International experience
c) What business impact are the software products you are churning out making.
e.g. automate manufacturing operations improving productivity by XX%. Not made software for abc.

If you can move towards a project management role (if you are not already) people reporting even functional is useful.

c) branding
IIT good will carry u on academics
small software shop might get you killed at H and S

S is a whole different approach they will evaluate your life . and i mean that.

Think leadership outside work
get involved in community
solidify your goals
start networking

all in all you have a shot but realy need to get after it starting now.
S 10%
H 10-15%
Berkeley 17%
sloan 20%

those are not your chances , but acceptance rates 😃 . can be done but you will have to eat sleep admissions simply because your in the most competitive pool in the world ( and your light on work exp re 3 years matriculation) but schools are moving towards that bracket.

Michigan/Duke etc i think you can make with half the effort needed for the above (still tough)

really its a weird crapshoot anything goes . research, essays and "touchy feely" stuff plays a big part .

The key is information (know the school, the program) and i do mean

I will join tennis club vs early morning jog through menlow park.

good luck go for it .
regards

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
pranjJ02 Says
4) Beaware of the Fin Aid situtation, I am not sure even with your 1 Lakh INR/month, you can pay up 100K $$ for an US MBA. As far as I know only 2 Silicon Valley schools give loans without a co-signer or US credit history to an International applicant:Stanford and Marshall. No berkley No Haas. Even UT Austin (McCombs) does not.

Can you or anyone who's a veteran of school research please give me the list of the top 15 bschools in the US that have a guaranteed loan program for all admits without a cosigner who's a US citizen or Permanent Resident ans without a US Credit history ?

Thanks !
Confused_Soul
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

heY I am workin in a small company wit 8 mounth exp plan for jan 2007 want 2 get in good b-school in US not a gr8 one . bcos i want 2 join my dads business after that so no point in spending 2 much on MBA. so plz can u help me find some uni with good marketing and entrepreneurship.
thanks
sleeper:

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Well if you are worried that your work-ex /profile is not different or have limited leadership exp then you need to consider - Community Service.

Not only would it provide your profile/resume with something different but also (potentiall) give you avenues to displaydevelop your leadership/managerial/skill (besides showing that you are a compassionate soul.) Even if nothing happnes you could still take pride and satisfaction out of helping others....

http://bbirds.blogspot.com

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks everybody for your response ! They definitely provide different perspectives...

Anyone else with a different perspective on what is a strong work experience and what isn't ?
Especially in the context of what I have heard about the Indian/IT/male combination and how its dreaded and the need to differentiate ?

All of us would love to hear both the techie and the non-techie perspective....

You-know-who
A Confused Soul

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...