Vocabulary (5 words everyday keep vocab problems away)

7 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
Hello Puys, *_I am starting this thread for aspirants who are weak in comprehending passages because of poor vocabulary, I am also not too very great in that. _* _*For the sake of other puys and me too, daily I will post 5 words here, which ...
Page 1 of 1
My take:
1. D
2. None
3. C

1. Correct Option is: "b"
Solution:Make your way could mean: to make progress; to move ahead; to clear a path for yourself; to move in a particular direction. Wend is more appropriate when you are talking about proceeding slowly or indirectly in a particular direction through a crowd: it's time to wend our way back home. You wend your way through the crowd.'Wend' means to proceed on or along one's way. Option (b) is correct. None other option complements the sentence.

2. Correct Option is: "a"
Solution:Option (a) is most appropriate as preconceived means to form (an opinion, for example) before possessing full or adequate knowledge or experience. In option (b) disparate means- fundamentally different or distinct in quality, which will not fulfill the requirement of the given sentence . Hence option (b) is negated. In option (d) convoluted means very twisted, this again doesn't fit in the sentence. Likewise, options (c) and (e), are also inappropriate, hence can be negated.

3. Correct Option is: "c"
Solution:Now read the sentence carefully-" Fortunately, there are _______ energy solutions we can put to use today to provide sustainable development and energy for all. " The word fortunately in the sentence implies positivity and will not be in accord with the word 'rare' which has some negative implications. If in the option choices word 'proven' wasn't there, then we could choose 'rare'. However since 'proven' have stronger and more positive implications than 'rare', hence option (c) is a better choice than option (a). Option (c) 'proven' is most appropriate as it is discussing renewable energy thus the need to prove its efficacy, makes option (c) the best option. Option (d), irenic means conductive to peace.We are not looking for peaceful solutions as there no hint of danger or aggression in the sentence.Usage of - irenic, will be redundant. Option (e) usurious means greatly exceeding bounds of reason or moderation. Looking at the meanings of various options, one can figure out that only the word 'proven' corresponds to the requirement of the sentence.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
@all : there is an existing thread for Vocab kindly continue there

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/vocab-resources-25065428
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/mnemonic-vocabulary-25076491

OK Sir !!

Thanks !!
JCU Singapore 2012 - 2013

My take:
1. D
2. None
3. C

Vocab based questions-

Direction for Questions: The following question has a paragraph with one underlined word that does not make sense. Choose the most appropriate replacement for that word from the options given below the paragraph.
Q.1
Port Blair airport is a small, old airport that was constructed in 1947.On my way to the hotel I noticed that there are none of the usual auto rickshaws that noisily gyutti their way through most Indian towns. There was only one traffic signal in the entire town and the roads were more ups-and-downs than level.
a. bend
b. wend
c. make
d. find
e. ascent
Q.2
Snakes have always been associated negatively in the minds of most people. Commonly believed to be poisonous and dangerous, they are also viewed as a slimy, ugly and hostile species. I have rarely seen anyone look at a snake in the wild with delight and calm. Most of us, with killifbnotions, have despised this beautiful creature without understanding it.
a. preconceived
b. disparate
c. common
d. convoluted
e. disentangled
Q.3. Greenpeace is asking you to take part in an energy revolution. To go from a world powered by nuclear and fossil fuels to one running on renewable energy. Human caused climate change is a reality. Fortunately, there are yijuhg energy solutions we can put to use today to provide sustainable development and energy for all.
a. rare
b. only few
c. proven
d. irenic
e. usurious

5 High Frequency Words of the day-

1. Abet(v), "a"+"bet"-
Meaning- encourage or assist someone to do something wrong
Word Usage- He was abetted in the deception by his wife.
Synonyms- advocate, conspire, goad, incite
Antonyms- counter, deter, discourage, frustrate, hinder, hurt, impede, obstruct, resist

2. Apparition (n), sounds like 'a partition'. When a soul 'partitions' from a body, u become a "ghost-
Meaning- a ghostly figure, a specter
Word Usage- Apparition of a woman in white robes have been reported.
Synonyms- phantom, specter, delusion, hallucination
Antonyms- animate, being

3. Belligerent (adj), belli (TOM) and gerry always quarrel in TOM and GERRY cartoon-
Meaning- unfriendly and aggressive
Word Usage- He is always very belligerent towards me.
Synonyms- pugnacious, quarrelsome, contentious, bellicose
Antonyms- cooperative, helping, kind, nice

4. Brash (adj), brash resolve it as b+rash. brad behaves rash-
Meaning- confident in an aggressive way
Word Usage- Beneath his brash exterior, he's still a little boy inside.
Synonyms- audacious, brazen, effervescent, impertinent
Antonyms- careful, quiet, shamed

5. Callous (adj),callous sounds like khallas so jiski sub kuch khallas ho gayi hai..that person becomes hard, insensitive and unfeeling -
Meaning- heartless, insensitive
Word Usage- He is accused of consistently and callously ill-treating his wife.
Synonyms- inured, apathetic, impassive, indurate
Antonyms: compassionate, feeling, kind, nice, sensitive, sympathetic, tender

learn these by heart

Hello Puys,
I am starting this thread for aspirants who are weak in comprehending passages because of poor vocabulary, I am also not too very great in that.

For the sake of other puys and me too, daily I will post 5 words here, which will help us for understanding passages and other vocab based questions too.

I will also post here passages and VOCAB based questions which have tougher vocabulary.
As Everyone knows that passages and vocab is everywhere, so it doesn't matter that either you are preparing for CAT or any other Non-CAT Exam like IIFT, SNAP, TISS, IRMA, NMAT, etc....
Senior puys can give tips, their suggestions might play great role in this process.
THANKYOU