Vlerick Leuven Gent MBA 2010-2011

100 Posts  ·  34 Users
About this group
Hello Vlerick Aspirants/Admits, Currently ranked 10th Worldwide for its MBA, Vlerick is a triple accredited B-school in Belgium. This a a discussion forum for Vlerick Leuven Gent MBA aspirants & admits. Every1 is using the old thread of...
Page 1 of 10
Dear,
I am Joke De Leeuw, responsible for Career Services for the Masters students at Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School. I received an e-mail with your questions (from our online marketeer who's active on the forum) regarding careers and work permits for masters students.
For your information, non-EU students who gain employment in Europe need a work permit. In Belgium, as in other European countries, it is the responsibility of the company (not the individual) to request a work permit based on the contract/offer you receive/sign. Companies are responsible for your work permit and must abide by national labour agreements with respect to hiring non-EU citizens. It is thus harder as a non-EU citizen to secure a job, but it is possible. Please find below an overview of some Indian graduates who stayed in Europe to work:
- Dwivedi Apoorva - General Management 2003: Fortis, Belgium
- Singh Anil Kumar - Financial Mangement 2005: Fund manager - Smart Private Managers, Luxembourg
- Singh Harjoth - Financial Mangement 2006: NIBC Bank, Belgium
- Mahajan Aarti - General Management 2008: Doctoral Assistant - Universiteit Gent, Belgium
- Malik Chavvi - General Management 2008: Associate HR manager - Procter & Gamble Europe, Belgium
- Singh Prabhjot - Marketing Management 2008: Global Graduate Trainee - Bombardier Transportation, Austria
Below you can find an overview of the Indian MGM students of the past two years of which I have their careers details:
Duggal Mudit
EMEAAP (Denmark)
Pre-Sales Consultant
PatelPranab
KBC (Belgium)
Analyst
Singh Gaurav
Samsung (India)
Lead Engineer
Sisodia Vipul Kumar
Samsung Electronics (India)
Assistant Project Manager
Akula Venugopal Panchasheela
Empower Research Knowledge Services Private Limited (India)
Media Analyst
Gupta Prateek
BNP Paribas Fortis (Belgium)
International Associate
Agarwal Prateek
Murugappa Group (India)
Executive Assistant
Pappu Sarath
studying for one year at HEC Paris
To conclude you can find a brief overview of what we offer to all our full-time students to help them in their job search.
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School has built a strong career office to help you develop your career. We are working on a daily basis with many companies to organize numerous recruitment events.
Three main recruitment events are organized during the year: a financial and consulting career fair (October), a general career fair (February) and a networking event with our corporate partners (September). All these events are organized exclusively for our full time students. During the year there are many evening presentations of companies that come to explain their recruitment process.
The Career Services Office actively markets the student profiles by means of a CV book and Job Posting Board online. Our Careers Website contains various job opportunities and careers information for the students to view.
More info on the recruitment process can be found on following link:
http://www.vlerick.com/en/programmes/masters/g2/masters-recruitment-guidance.
Another important tool is to help you develop your career skills. We offer a two day course in the beginning of the year which includes a mixture of class sessions, coaching in small groups, practical exercises and exchanges with practitioners and alumni. Throughout the course, you will work with the Career Focus Tool, a practical tool that will facilitate your job search. We also invite professional recruiters to simulate job interviews and give you personal feedback.
During and after the course, you will have the opportunity to receive individual feedback on your CV and application letter and to discuss your job search process with our Career Services Office.
I hope my reply was useful to you. Should you still have other questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,
Joke
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey guys,
Could you tell me how good is the masters in general management program at Vlerick. Also is it very difficult to get a job and a visa after the course in Belgium ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

my 2 cents
Yes of course alumni are one of the most important sources to get a job.Contact both indian and non indian alumni for info.Put yourself in socially awkward situations and mail/meet with them.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi! Yes I am quite acquainted with Belgian geography, and I was aiming at Bxl more than Wallonie. Also, do you think the network of the alumni can play a proactive role in helping you out find a job? I mean, of course you need to move up and make your own effort, but the ROI of a buzschool for me also depends on how they can facilitate your career path... May I ask you wether you are an alumni or not?

sls

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

If you look at the geography of belgium the northern part which is the flemish part it is primarily dutch speaking and southern part i.e wallonia is french speaking.So your best bet is to find a job in the wallonia part of belgium.
I dont think dutch is necessary plus(unlesss you want a job in the flemish region), you are fluent as you say in german and italian which is a very big advantage.
So if i were you i would not only look for jobs in the french part of belgium but try to network with alumni who are based in Italy and germany

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
sls
@sls  ·  0 karma

Hello! I want to take part to this forum as well. I have just come back to Vlerick info session and I had the chance to meet some current students: they all seem to be pretty satisfied about the classes and the atmosphere on campus was amazing. But then I stop a while on this blog and I get dizzy. To cut it short, what I need to know is related to job opportunities after Vlerick. I myself am keen on the Msc Marketing, and I have always been afraid not to get the right support from the career office if I dont speak Dutch? I am myself fluent in French, I speak Italian, German and English too, but this Dutch buzz is kinda obsessing me. Some current students told me French is enough and many jobs they post only require a good knowledge of French, but still, we need to be realistic.One more thing... how does the alumni network work? Does it give a concrete support to current students seeking for a job? Are they active internationally?
And about scholarships, how much do they gauge the admission fees?
Basically a few keywords to sum up my concerns: is French enough? If I am a fluent French speaker, do I have good opportunities to work in Belgium\BXL?

Waiting for your support!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

lol work permit attached to visa, lol why do people from our country want everything handed over to them

Working on student visa is illegal in europe
After completing your masters , if you are selected for a job , your prospective employer should apply for a work permit which is very difficult to obtain cause of the strict regulations.
The employer has to prove (through sufficient advertising and other means) that he couldnt find anybody suitable for that job in the whole EU and EEA region.
I have friends who have worked(and are still) in germany and holland.They said if youre a non EU guy you need quality work experience(3yrs+ is good) and a good profile.
Another very very very important thing is working knowledge of any language apart from english, if you dont have it then you are severely handicapped

I am not applying to gent but im just giving some info passed on to me from some experienced friends of mine , plus my own research on this work permit issue

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I got admit for General International Management MBA starting Sept-2011. Anyone sailing on the same boat?

Have anyone received this as well !!

Thank you very much for your application for the full-time MBA programme, we received it well. Your application is complete and is currently being reviewed.

Hereby, we already would like to inform you about the locations and dates we will organize admissions interviews:

Mumbai:
-4/02/2011, 8:00 11:00
-5/02/2011, 8:00 11:45

Delhi:
-6/02/2011, 14:00 18:00
-7/02/2011, 8:00 18:30 (with hour lunch break between 12 and 2)
-8/02/2011, 8:00 11:30

Bangalore:
-9/02/2011, 14:00 18:00
-10/02/2011, 8:00 17:45

As soon as your application is reviewed and you meet all requirements, we would like to invite you for an admission interview.Is it possible to inform us already which location and timings would be suitable for you? This will allow us to easily fix an appropriate slot for you.

Please dont hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions,

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,

Leen De Bock
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Have anyone received this as well !!

Thank you very much for your application for the full-time MBA programme, we received it well. Your application is complete and is currently being reviewed.

Hereby, we already would like to inform you about the locations and dates we will organize admissions interviews:

Mumbai:
- 4/02/2011, 8:00 11:00
- 5/02/2011, 8:00 11:45

Delhi:
- 6/02/2011, 14:00 18:00
- 7/02/2011, 8:00 18:30 (with hour lunch break between 12 and 2)
- 8/02/2011, 8:00 11:30

Bangalore:
- 9/02/2011, 14:00 18:00
- 10/02/2011, 8:00 17:45

As soon as your application is reviewed and you meet all requirements, we would like to invite you for an admission interview.Is it possible to inform us already which location and timings would be suitable for you? This will allow us to easily fix an appropriate slot for you.

Please dont hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions,

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,

Leen De Bock

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello,

Could anybody tell what is the post study work-permit scene in Belgium.

Is there any work-permit clubbed to student visa?

Thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...