Vipassana - Done it ??

18 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
hey guys.. have u by any chance undergone a course of Vipassana.. well we guys at SCMHRD just did.. and here are my views on it.. MY BANANA DAYS Caution: In my endeavor to vent out frustration, references to any being living or dead is p...
Page 1 of 2
Friends pls tell me is the art of living course different from the vipassana course or are they both the same
regards

Well I knew I should have started this thread and now I have stumbled upon it...
MY most productive activity this Sunday Morning.. I am sure..

Okies... Me done VIpassana as a studne of SCMLD, Pune..... in october 2005
and attended Art of Living Foundation COurse in DEcmber 2005

So I can say I have had the taste of both worlds and i have no regrets

AFIrst VIpassnaa:
VIpassana is a meditation technique fiven by Gautam Buddha and it was the technique he used to attain Nirvana... so all of us who think we want Niravan acan start immediately.. in a few hundres births you might get close..

So Vipassna is a 10 day course where you have a lot of time for self introspection as you are cut off from the world without talking, or reading newspapers or even eyecontact with others at the centre... It is just you and your teacher.
the unique thing about this form of meditation is that there is no and i mean ABSOOLUTELY NO verbalisation, visulaisation or imaging in your mids... So you need noe chant any names, hear any chanting or see anything..
JUST PLAIN SIMPLE MEDITATION....
I would recommend this to every youth and it is one of my life's most satsiying and fulfilling experiencess....

AOL: Art OF Living as we all must know has just complted 25 years in February 2006... It has a basic beginners vcourse for 6 days and this s much more easier to do as its only 3 hours a day...

Also AOL is not only about meditation but mainly about the SUDARSHAN KRIYA which was given to Sri Sri Ravi Shankaraji (Guruji) when he went into silence 25 years back...
It is absolutely simple, a combination of breathing and meditation exercise and for someone who has done PRanayam Yoga it is very easy to pick up...

THE UNDERLYING PRINCIPLE FOR BOTH THESE SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT IS VERY SIMILAR

BOTH ARE SECULAR, UNBISED OVER CASTE, CREED, SEX, SOCIAL LEVEL, or anyother factor..
THEY ALL TALK ABOUT GIVING AND SHARING AND LOVE

SO i would say go ahead and jump in cause its worth it and your life will never be the same again
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Friends pls tell me is the art of living course different from the vipassana course or are they both the same
regards

They're on two totally different techniques altogether. Meditation techniques, yes, both are, but different.

AoL courses are managed by the Sri Sri Ravishankar Foundation. Vipassana courses by VRI. The question has arisen due to the fact that before the AoL course became publicly recognised, VRI had published one of its more famous books, called 'The Art of Living, Vipassana meditation...' by William Hart.

Regards,
Grondmaster

regards

Hmmm...

Why did I not search the forum????? Anyways, now I'm here.

I'e been into Vipassana since I was 13. Yes, thirteen years of age. That is when I did my first 10 days course. My first course was at the age of 6. That was a children's course. But my family's been into it since before I was born.

And now, I'm totally involved in it, including volunteering at courses, off course (on centre) activities, and off site activities while at home. My project while in IT college, was for the VRI (the mother organisation of Vipassana activities) and its publications wing.

The Vipassana course, compulsory for SCMHRD students, was a major factor in my application to SCMHRD, even though I wanted a communication related profile. Got kicked out: My name's not even in the waiting list. Didn't apply to Sadhana as it does not yet have a strong presence in the BSchool arena.

From what I have read in this thread, unfortunately, a wrong perception has gone out of Vipassana. In the coming days, I shall be trying my level best to clear this wrong perception, by giving the right information, and not my opinion. Vipassana is an age-old method of purifying one's mind, and improving one's life. The fact that it is tough to learn is very true, but that is true for everything as well. You cannot live life easily. And trying to improve one's own life... Well, that's even more difficult.

Those who have any doubts about Vipassana, please feel welcome to ask questions. I shall try my level best to answer them. If I can not, I shall point you to the direction where you will get the answer.

Regards,
Harshal,
Grondmaster

Hi Folks

So still some action going in at PG for SCM ppl ... this is unfair yaar ..you ppl never told me ..

Abt Vipassana ... 1 LIFETIME EXPERIENCE.... and no 2 veiws on it ...

Catchya guys latr...

Dheeraj

Anitch Anitch Anitch

hey dude,

if this was the reason for u not joining SCMHRD, then i think it wasnt a wise one... even now, i say Vipassana is really helpful, we have a guy in our class who has done this 8 times !!! and has a solid and stable tempermant.. so i think you could think of another reason for not joining SCMHRD.. here many of us did not utilise Vipassana the right way.. although most of wat Goenkaji said was very true in each of our lives and it was something wat we might have not realised.. the only thing we were against was that we thought it was a lil too early..

regds

abishek

The pictures are really great.It would have been wonderful to be a place like that and no Vipassna was not the only reason not to join.Although its a personal view but the wholesome heavy diet of letter of rules really disinterested me.
SCMHRD is a great place,I had my batchmates from my engineering college there.The point I wanted to make was that I certainly won't be happy if I had joined .
There is absolutely no disregard for the institute.
Anyway do keep posting about more happenings at SCMHRD here.

Am posting the pic of the pagoda at Dhamma giri..where the frequent Vipassana mediatators meditate ...we got a chance to meditate inside it on the Day "8". Also the view of the hills..which were an excellent backdrop..infact some of our room doors opened to the view of the hills..

Mangal Ho!!!(The greeting used in Dhamma Giri)

Be Happy

Shankar

hey dude,

if this was the reason for u not joining SCMHRD, then i think it wasnt a wise one... even now, i say Vipassana is really helpful, we have a guy in our class who has done this 8 times !!! and has a solid and stable tempermant.. so i think you could think of another reason for not joining SCMHRD.. here many of us did not utilise Vipassana the right way.. although most of wat Goenkaji said was very true in each of our lives and it was something wat we might have not realised.. the only thing we were against was that we thought it was a lil too early..

regds

abishek

Ya Abishek....

Well said man..and ya your first post was really hilarious....I happen to be amongst the lot of students this year who have done Vipassana seriously..and man it was a gr8 eye-opener....it is not something to make a Sadhu or a Sanyasi.....the implications are wide...one just needs to have the right understanding ..also it was a logical meditation exercise...and the history has already been given by Abishek....by the way Abishek, Anish and Shriram were in the same Dhamma Hall (The hall where we used to meditate) as me and yes SCMHRD grp was one grp which had a ball there....the places alongside the wall was crowded with ppl who had back problem ..or rather had pretended to have one......at the end of the 10-days most of the ppl in the batch had realised that it would have been very useful if done seriously......

well one glaring instance i remember was the 10th day when the Maun Vrat or the promise to keep Noble Silence comes off....there was a big celebration....for me it was damn tough to get my voice coming...the grp of SCMHRD ppl had started giving bumps to ppl like we do on birthdays for all those who had done it seriuosly..I too got lifted..and it was just going to start when one of the co-ordinators came and stopped it.....anyways even for those who had not taken it up seriously it was a time to introspect and a time away from the hectic and fast life we have here on campus...

All of us had a long journey back on the 11th day back to Hinjewadi from Dhamma Giri..the place in Igatpuri where this International Vipassana Academy is located...must say ,...is a damn beautiful place with exotic scenic beauty...

Mangal Ho!!!
May u be Happy

Shankar

vipassana...well..... no comments

Anish

Phew!!!!

Very happy that I took decision not to join SCMHRD when I was in last year of my engineering.
Kindly pardon me on saying this...I did not mean to demean the respected institute or the students or anyone....it was purely my decision based upon the huge admission letter I received which contained these rules and a warning that if you can't follow them then don't join.
Since then I was trying hard to justify the decision of me not joining it and today the reason stands justified.
Although its a good concept but why do we need it anyway.....realization can take some time.
I had a similar experience though not that severe when after the campus placement I was send to the erection plant of mu company to gain hands on experience.
I realiized there is no need to go back and actually give up the comforts and material things we have gathered
Here at my place people believe that that are not trying to make us any sadhu or something.....ethics is a different thing and so is social service and socal awareness.
And why no automobiles in campus at SCMHRD.......its an outdated concept.
My only point was celebration of something justified long after
My best wishes to all.

hey dude,

regds

abishek