University of Arizona - Eller MBA - Applicants for Fall, 2013

132 Posts  ·  34 Users
About this group
Hello All, We are first year MBAs at the prestigious Eller College of Management, University of Arizona. Consider this an open forum to discuss anything related to the MBA program including the application process. We would be happy to answe...
Page 1 of 14

Hi,
I want to apply to the MIS program in Eller. My goal is to complete the program and work in a IT industry before starting my own consultancy. PFB my profile.
GMAT:620
TOEFL:101
GPA:6.98
10th:86
12th:87.1

2 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@HOW, this is real interesting. I see from your posts that you received an admit with me last year for 2012, yet you didn't join. Now for 2013, you get another admit? :)

If it's nothing too personal, can you share your story with us? Specifically, what were the reasons for deferment and how was the application process different the second time.

Thanks
Here to help!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Eller2014 Thanks a ton for your reply! Will def revert should I require further clarification:)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@PNCA2A178

Being an Indian, Eller may expect something well in the 600s. But then I was surprised to hear admits to Indians this time with as low as 620, that too with good scholarship. Whether this is justified and may lower our ranking in the US news next year is something I'm personally concerned about. Anyhow, that's just how it is now.

Other than this, there's no GMAT cut-off per se as is the case with any school. Generally, higher the GMAT, better are chances of admit and scholarship.

Now, for the salary part. When you say MIS course, I'm assuming you mean MBA with focus on MIS, not the MIS degree. The average is around $85,000, which is not bad considering many jobs are in Arizona, a much cheaper place which has lower paying jobs given lower cost of living. Remember, the average salary that you see everywhere is not adjusted against the cost of living, so it is very often biased.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to clarify anything and/or answer more questions.

Roshan
Here to help!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Alok...good question.

This EFC calculator is just for the university to see how much in need of scholarship you are. You can easily adjust the numbers to show that you indeed are financially worthy of more scholarship.

HOWEVER, the numbers that you show thru the screenshot of the website DOES NOT really determine how much tuition you end up paying - honestly, it's just your GMAT that decides.

Two things: (1) I would send the screenshot because Sylvia has asked me to (play safe, so just play around with the numbers). So I would just do as instructed, its as simple as that.
(2) The scholarship amount that you are awarded is adjusted against the tuition fees to be paid. Do not worry about the silly EFC form - it doesn't decide anything. Nobody really cares lol. However, like I said, just go with it cause we're instructed to do so. Call it tokenism.

How can I help further?

Roshan

Here to help!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello , will you pls let me know that how much gmat score is needed to apply for Eller.

How much a person will earn approximately after recritment on the basis of mis course.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Eller2014 with regard to this reply, I was sent an EFC calculator by Sylvia and there is also a mention of the same in our admit letter that in order for our scholarship to be disbursed we are required to fill out the EFC(financial form) form and email a screen shot. So is this reqd at all??? Or our scholarship amt will automatically get deducted from our fees? Plz help!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The MBA in MIS rose from #5 to #4 this year.

McGuire School of Entrepreneurship is still highly ranked at #11.
Eller MBA, Class of 2014
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Just to add on to what Roshan has posted here, I'm sure many of you would be knowing that The Eller MBA has risen to #44 in the latest US News MBA rankings (2013)

The program rose from #57 to #44 which is the biggest rise for a program in the top 50. We are above other top schools such as Penn State, UIUC and UC Irvine.
Eller MBA, Class of 2014
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Folks,

I want to apologize for the delay in response to all your questions. I hibernate on this and then get into a burst mode as you can see above. It's not an excuse but I was traveling on Spring break earlier.

I will definitely try to shorten turnaround. Keep those questions pouring in. This is the time you'd have tons of things to ask and I didn't really have anyone around this time last year, so I realize the importance. Thanks.

Roshan
Here to help!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...