UK MBA - worth it?

30 Posts  ·  21 Users
About this group
Hi, with a profile like : mechanical engineering degree from Mumbai university + 3.6 years of work experience in Infosys technologies as a software engineer , is a UK MBA worth it? ROI ,recognition and value addition- do we have any of thes...
Page 1 of 3
@vikramsharma01 said:
The current market situation in the UK is not that great right now. Not many job openings are there currently in the UK. Few of my friends had gone there for MBA and they returned back without any job experience. I don't feel its worth to spend so much and then come back to India and work. Instead why don't you try some other Bschools in Europe. There is one in Paris known as Essec B school. It is a good option for MBA. Check out its website to find out more about it, http://www.essec.edu/If you are spending so much, i think it will be wise if you do good research on the institute as well as on the job market of that particular country.All the best!
You are right. Besides, european ones have some decent scholarships too (fee waiver+living expense). But problem is most jobs after MBA would require fluency in european language like french for job in france. Can't get fluency in just 2 years 😃
I was wondering if there is more info about such huge scholarships in US/canada/australia as well ?

"Hope is a good thing; probably the best of the things. And no good thing ever dies"
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The current market situation in the UK is not that great right now. Not many job openings are there currently in the UK. Few of my friends had gone there for MBA and they returned back without any job experience. I don't feel its worth to spend so much and then come back to India and work. Instead why don't you try some other Bschools in Europe. There is one in Paris known as Essec B school. It is a good option for MBA. Check out its website to find out more about it, http://www.essec.edu/

If you are spending so much, i think it will be wise if you do good research on the institute as well as on the job market of that particular country.

All the best!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@shr24 said:
I found mixed rankings on the internet.
What else you expected on the internet? Internet, in that matter anything will have different views. It is ultimately on you. You have to decide on your own.

Please get some idea about rank, just for a start, there are 20+ different ranking!!

By the way, Henley contact is as follows

If you have any questions please call me,
Vaishali Darbar on:
Telephone: +44 (0)1491 418 803
or
Email: mba@henley.com

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys,

My friend has landed an offer for full time MBA from Henley Business School (University of Reading). Kindly let me know if anyone knows about the rank and placement scenario for this college, as I found mixed rankings on the internet.

A quick reply would be appreciated. Thanks!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Any idea about MSc Petroleum, Energy Finance and Economics offered by University of Aberdeen ??? I am working in petroleum industry [3 years ex] as an engineer and was looking for the career change and had got the offer for the same [MSc Petroleum, Energy Finance and Economics] but deffered it for one year as I am bit confused whether to pursue it from aberdeen or not ...any better energy finance/economics options ???

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Dr_Saurabh said: Dear CheckEETS,All the information that I've shared.. have been gathered by intensive research & feedback from current students & Alumni (Indian, Brits & European junta) of these UK b-schools.My reasons for Strathclyde are following:1. Strathclyde was NEVER in the Tier-1 Category.. it was just in 2008.. that it was ranked so high in FT Global Rankings.. (Never before) & thereafter it is consistently dropping in Rankings.2. Whereas Lancaster & Cass.. are very well known for Consulting (Lancaster MBA has 3 consulting projects.. as a part of Curriculum.. which is not in case with Strath) & Finance (Cass is Globally recognized for Finance jobs.. as it is also located in the World's Finance capital-London)3. My Criteria for an MBA.. is very important.. in terms of Jobs..(As I'm aspiring for a career-change & look for a job with an MBA.. & not just 'Quality Education') I mean Placement Statistics.. so in this category Lancaster & Cass.. are Heads & Shoulders above Strath. I personally know many guys from Lancaster.. who have successfully changed their career, at-ease.4. The recognition of Strath MBA is not very good in India.. whereas Lancs & Cass have a 'WOW-FACTOR'.5. The Career-services of Strath is the WORST in their curriculum.. & the Alumni have been cribbing & repenting on this part.. time & again. Job-Hunting is a NIGHTMARE for most of them.6. The best part of Lancaster along with Warwick.. is its Competitive Fee-Structure.. which is at par with Strath or any other Tier-2 MBA (Aston, Leeds etc).7. Strath started asking for GMAT from this session (2010-11) only.. with Min 550... whereas Lancaster & Cass have been asking for GMAT since ages.. & the avr GMAT score for Lancs & Cass are 660 & 680 respectively (which is at par with ANY top b-school in the world).8. So this is the reason that I deferred my admits for the next intake.. & in the mean-time I'm now focusing for the Tier-1 schools (specially Lancaster & Warwick.. not Cass, as Finance is not my cup of tea) & top Asian schools like ISB, NUS, NTU & HKUST.. wherein Placements are phenominal & are very well regarded in India (I intend to work in India only).I think that, this clears your Doubts... about Strath. (Waisae... Strath is well-known for Startegy.. so if you have a back-up plan & can spare time for Job-hunting.. then go for Starth... is it a good name.. with Triple Accreditation.)Hope this helps.Cheers, Saurabh.
I agree with your observation and ranking. Personally I would rank CASS and Imperial a bit higher only bcoz they are in LONDON. Those who knows UK job market would know what does it means to be physically present in London than in Bath. It makes a hell lot of difference.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Dr_Saurabh said: Hi Dear,Well I dont understand the reason why are you considering these non-ranked Universities ? If less tuition fees is your only concern to pursue an MBA then you should think of the Value of the MBA degree that u r investing for. I mean this is really silly to go for these Unknown schools...after having a Engg degree and a substantial experience.Don't be in a hurry-worry to go for an International MBA .. this MBA would be your Last bet to get your 'Dream Job' .. so just Relax..I might be so good to get into a Reputed university Next year..as compared to Rushing for ANY MBA this year .Dear u look for the Top10-12 UK MBAs..Focuss for the Tier-I b-schools..or else look for the Top Tier-II UK MBA..if somehow u r unable to get into them..or you find them very Expensive. have u written GMAT? If not..then Prepare for the GMAT..having an Engg background you would be able to score well in it (need to work on Verbal). Without a GMAT..you don't have much good options..except a few ones like Durham & Aston..but I think that you should target to the Good schools only.The B-schools worth considering are given below:1. LSB 2. Judge (Cambridge) 3. Said (Oxford) (These r the Top-3)TIER-I 4. Manchester 5. Cranfield 6. Warwick 7. Lancaster 8. Cass(City), London 9. Tanaka(Imperial), London (4-8 are great schools & have excellentTEIR-II 10. Strathclyde, Glasgow 11. Durham 12. Bath 13. Leeds 14. Aston, BirminghamI hope this helps.Cheers

You hit it very correctly. Unless someone gets into the top few, the entire thing is in great risk. Your time, career, money and confidence will go for a toss.
No PSV, very little job options, forget about EU DREAM. Things will not improve dramatically in next 1 year for non EU students.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Aki Roy Says
First of all thanx a lot for such a quick reply....inever expected it n i really appreciate it.I m lookin for lancaster n cass as dey hv good recognition in india also.Can u tell me ne site whr i can know all d details regardin IELTs.how many times IELTS is conducted in a year n which month.FOr which window i can get d best clgs as mentioned above aur haan hw r dese clgs(need ur suggestion).

Hi Aki,

Btw.. you can Thank me.. by using the 'Thanks' button. :)

Lancaster & Cass are great MBA schools.. & are very competitive. Cass is known for Finance & Lancs for Consulting jobs.
For these schools.. you need to have 690-700+ GMAT score... & more if you are from the IIM category.

Btw.. whats your Profile? Software Engg..?

Dont worry about IELTS.. its a very easy exam.. you can find all details about its testing & dates at International English Language | Home
It is taken very frequently.. & many times in a month.
I did not prepared well.. & got Band 7.5 out of 9.0
Don't worry about IELTS.

But you need to study & score high for GMAT. This is a bit tough exam.. but if you are an Engg.. or if you've prepared for CAT.. then GMAT is easier for you.

Hope this helps.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

First of all thanx a lot for such a quick reply....inever expected it n i really appreciate it.I m lookin for lancaster n cass as dey hv good recognition in india also.Can u tell me ne site whr i can know all d details regardin IELTs.how many times IELTS is conducted in a year n which month.FOr which window i can get d best clgs as mentioned above aur haan hw r dese clgs(need ur suggestion).

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Aki Roy Says
Guys so can u tell me whether some top colleges of UK prefer IELTS score or Gmat score.I know it depends upon d clgs bt i want to know wht d majority of good clgs r accepting.So if i appear for IELTS den will it be sufficien to get into some good colleges or GMAT also hv to be considered??

All the Good B-schools.. ask for GMAT.. as a Mandatory criteria.
And the TOP Ones.. ask for a good GMAT score.. 680+

You can find all the information.. as the respective websites of these schools.
Btw.. which schools.. are you looking at??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...