UC Irvine 2011 Fall

66 Posts  ·  31 Users
About this group
Hey puys, Looking forward to get in touch with all the merage applicants. I just submitted my application. Waiting for the reply!!! Regards, Kalyan
Page 1 of 7
Profile: GPA: 3.79; B.A. double major marketing and international relations, double minor econ and finance; GMAT: 705, AWA: 6.0; Female; US native Citizen;
2.5 years working for international medical distributor, traveling to Middle East for trade, 2 years prior in advertising and brokerage, 3 years in nursing.
I'm not from India, but could not find any other discussion on UC Irvine.
I interviewed with Elisa Lee. It was terrible. She did not seem to understand the difference between distribution and manufacturing. There were just little things that were off before the interview even got started. She did not even hand shake, she just kind of extended her hand and let it limp. Then she took me into a cluttered office and offered me a chair in a corner similar to one I had in grade school. Dont get me wrong, I am not a snob. But it was so much less professional and less thoughtful than every other interview I have done. It was all very odd. She asked how I hoped to be involved in the campus, to which I provided a few examples of extra circulars and such I would like to be involved in, such as their non-profit consulting and charity initiatives. That did not seem to be enough and she pressed for more, as if one should spend as much time on these things as classes. It was all very strange and unsettling. I just received the rejection today and I really have no idea why. Luckily, UCI was a backup and I was accepted to UCSD, USC, and Duke with some $, Pepperdine with a full scholarship. Am awaiting UCLA and a few "reaches." This was my first "ding" and I kind of just wanted to vent. I felt like something was wrong during the interview. She did not seem to be interested in my responses and at one point said something to the effect of "being new to this" (although I know she has been interviewing for years according to other forums.) I really have no idea what this woman wanted or specifically what she found deficient in my application. She could not answer my specific questions about the program, said she would get back to me, never did. Honestly, when I left I had reservations about the program. Per accepted decorum I sent a very nice thank-you card afterward. I would advise others not to interview with her, it was really unsettling. I'm not even particularly upset about the rejection, since I have several other options. I am just unsettled and trying to figure out what went wrong so I can prevent it in the future.
So...yeah...that was my experience with Mrs. Elisa Lee and UC Irvine.

Hi Madeshka, I have similiar experience with you at UCI, and PM me or send me an email so we can discuss it. I really would like to know the reason just as you have experienced.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All, is this a good place to talk about housing? I know we have google groups and stuff - I dont see any activity there. I am particularly interested in knowing the status around. My application still shoes - "Completed, no payment required"... What is the next stage?

Thanks,
Sagnik

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

madeshka -

Elisa is new to the Adcom this year so she hasn't been interviewing for years as you stated. I have met her a couple times at Merage events and she's very friendly and approachable. She probably pushed you about how you could contribute because it seems like you may have given some standard answers about joining clubs, etc....nothing creative about how you would contribute. Anyways, you shouldn't mind so much since you got into "better" programs - USC, etc. You can always contact the school to see if you can get feedback on your interview rather than badmouth your interviewer online.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Profile: GPA: 3.79; B.A. double major marketing and international relations, double minor econ and finance; GMAT: 705, AWA: 6.0; Female; US native Citizen;
2.5 years working for international medical distributor, traveling to Middle East for trade, 2 years prior in advertising and brokerage, 3 years in nursing.
I'm not from India, but could not find any other discussion on UC Irvine.
I interviewed with Elisa Lee. It was terrible. She did not seem to understand the difference between distribution and manufacturing. There were just little things that were off before the interview even got started. She did not even hand shake, she just kind of extended her hand and let it limp. Then she took me into a cluttered office and offered me a chair in a corner similar to one I had in grade school. Dont get me wrong, I am not a snob. But it was so much less professional and less thoughtful than every other interview I have done. It was all very odd. She asked how I hoped to be involved in the campus, to which I provided a few examples of extra circulars and such I would like to be involved in, such as their non-profit consulting and charity initiatives. That did not seem to be enough and she pressed for more, as if one should spend as much time on these things as classes. It was all very strange and unsettling. I just received the rejection today and I really have no idea why. Luckily, UCI was a backup and I was accepted to UCSD, USC, and Duke with some $, Pepperdine with a full scholarship. Am awaiting UCLA and a few "reaches." This was my first "ding" and I kind of just wanted to vent. I felt like something was wrong during the interview. She did not seem to be interested in my responses and at one point said something to the effect of "being new to this" (although I know she has been interviewing for years according to other forums.) I really have no idea what this woman wanted or specifically what she found deficient in my application. She could not answer my specific questions about the program, said she would get back to me, never did. Honestly, when I left I had reservations about the program. Per accepted decorum I sent a very nice thank-you card afterward. I would advise others not to interview with her, it was really unsettling. I'm not even particularly upset about the rejection, since I have several other options. I am just unsettled and trying to figure out what went wrong so I can prevent it in the future.
So...yeah...that was my experience with Mrs. Elisa Lee and UC Irvine.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi

Anyone from Irvine waitlisted??

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys !
I have got admits from UCI and Wakeforest so far. Need help with the decision! While UCI's tech inclination and location is what i am looking for , finances is a problem. Wakeforest n the other hand has a good program for consulting and i have got a little more scol than UCI. Anyone?

@Nishant - all the best for the remaining ones bro!

Thanks.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Reject :-(:-(

Just can't believe it. 8th reject of the season for me, without a single admit. I had a decent interview to go together with a decent set of essays. And i judged UCI to be a safe option.

All the best to other applicants and admitted guys.

Timeline
Submitted : 1 Feb
Invite : ~ 15 Feb
Interviewed : 2 Mar
Reject : 10 Mar

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All,

I have an admit from UCI with some scol. Yet to make a decision but the program seems fit for me (IT , 5 years). Concerned about the expenses (obviously), I need some guidance on how to (and whether to) go for it. Anyone in a similar situation or has gone through this - please suggest.

Thanks,
Sagnik

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

deleted...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
architspatel9 Says
Would be real help if you can share your experience here.. my interview is scheduled on 10th March.. thanks... ....archit

It was a standard MBA interview and it was not blind. There are a set of MBA questions which they will use. typical Goals/Why/Contribution

Nothing off the road or not included in the thread earlier. Absolutely cool interview. Just know yourself real good because that was what i feel they were looking for.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...