two stupid questions of mine? mind replying!

9 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Hi Do u always wonder why b schools prefer people from science background? The bell in this tiny little head of mine has been ringing for while ! may be i would like hear ur views ! (A) 1.Had it not been the case then why would th...
Page 1 of 1

hey shyam23! nice ques man.......

well da answer to the first one is tricky but da second one is simple..............

THE iim PANEL DOESNT WANT ANYBODY TO HAVE GOALS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THEM. .nOW wASNT THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
And the best part is the hypocrisy, if one is not joining for money why do instis harp about avg sal highest sal and such other shit shat.
Anyways my reasoning is that at that level all salaries are more or less close to the average mean salary (as in within six sigma limits) so once your basic salary is assured you should not pick up jobs based on mooney but on other things like how many secretaries you can have...
As far as the engineers theory goes I think they have more focus when it comes to studies after all most of them must have prepared for the dictator of all test the JEE, so while preparing for the CAT they can put more work for a longer duration time than us non - engineers. Really, I dont think it is a good idea to credit them with too much logic/ intelligence/ and the works....

Munira.

i think b schools create so much hype bout the placements bcos students buy dis idea,which in turn is given so much importance bcos the less availaibility of off campus jobs.while money,no doubt,is more than jus important,the role of any institution is to instill qualities in students which helps them progress in their respective fields.
cheers
mj

Enggrs... Logical/Higher Quantitative Abilites... Blah!
And this comes from an engineer himself. For one thing i can tell u, I have taught students from varying backgrounds, and the logic thingy isnt an engineer's proprietary, and so is also not a touch-me-not for non-engineers. It is all individualistic. :smile:

Also, as you see the CAT evolving over the last couple of years, we notice that CAT is moving towards logical based questions (for that matter even RCVA section this time round was purely logical in nature). The quant Qs are not of very high difficulty (maybe XAT is one exception which looked like it was set by JEE paper setting board). With this pattern, even the most prepared are at ground zero in CAT (be it an engineer or otherwise), it all boils down to your mental composure and lateral thinking in those 2 hours.

Big Qs: Why MBA!? Again, money post-MBA is all around, so why answer that. I thought it was implied. Its not a matter or lying to them, but as they say, its a matter of selling urself. Answer something which they want to hear. This doesnt mean not putting the point across. But then as Munera put in, the sals are more or less the same. So, that cannot be a differentiating factor to bet on. :smile:

And the best part is the hypocrisy, if one is not joining for money why do instis harp about avg sal highest sal and such other shit shat.
Anyways my reasoning is that at that level all salaries are more or less close to the average mean salary (as in within six sigma limits) so once your basic salary is assured you should not pick up jobs based on mooney but on other things like how many secretaries you can have...
As far as the engineers theory goes I think they have more focus when it comes to studies after all most of them must have prepared for the dictator of all test the JEE, so while preparing for the CAT they can put more work for a longer duration time than us non - engineers. Really, I dont think it is a good idea to credit them with too much logic/ intelligence/ and the works....

Munira.

ans1)i dun think u can categorize enggs as logical,bcoz most of the crowd in my college is higly technical nd even more so highly non logical...nd about the calculas thing,yes it gives an edge 2 stus 4m non med background nt bcos they studied these topics before grad but becos of the comfort level they have wid dese ques

ans 2)i guess every student taking cat has one thin in mind the "handsome nd mota"packaes a b skul has to offer,so the mojor chit chat is bout the avg. and the top salaries.infrastructure,faculty,environment,international linkages etc which make more sense draw lil attention.in my opinion a gud bschool prepares u well 2 take on da corporate world nd gets u a nice job offer.

cheers
mj

Ans for Q-A: Its seen that a vast majority of the non engg students distribute their marks like this VA/RC - 80-90% QA+DI - the rest. Hence, the cutoffs for the QA and DI end up usually very low. Now which manager would you want - one who talks good eng but doesnt have much logic or the one who has enough logic but less vocabulary (but can surely convey his messages). We all should know that CAT is to test a persons intelligence not verbal skills.
Ans for Q-B: Always keep in mind the fact that whenever you are passionate about the job, the money automatically follows. Not vice versa. So for ANY company, employees who are over passionate about money is a risk. They will never be loyal.
Its because of this attitude that many of the old graduates ended up having less and less.

ans1)i dun think u can categorize enggs as logical,bcoz most of the crowd in my college is higly technical nd even more so highly non logical...nd about the calculas thing,yes it gives an edge 2 stus 4m non med background nt bcos they studied these topics before grad but becos of the comfort level they have wid dese ques

ans 2)i guess every student taking cat has one thin in mind the "handsome nd mota"packaes a b skul has to offer,so the mojor chit chat is bout the avg. and the top salaries.infrastructure,faculty,environment,international linkages etc which make more sense draw lil attention.in my opinion a gud bschool prepares u well 2 take on da corporate world nd gets u a nice job offer.

cheers
mj

atleast someone replied !

Finally B*A*L*L*S* and u have actually killed the MOCKING CAT!

If u really want now an answer which needs your nads to be on novocaine
Ans2:So that u don't do cherry picking of jobs and keep bush~hopping from one job to another......and instead of a Financially Secure(euphism....)they'd want a Manager to graduate outta their school who has a great performance and career....
Since Managers are on the highest Level(or one of the higher levels)of skill bank(man am being inventive),therefore money is assumed to be of lower importance than Self ~Esteem(maslow's bullshyt) and all other things for softies!

Ans1)As for the Science background boss MBA panel Wallahs aren't intelligentsia they are us local people who mastered in a profession or a niche of it,henceworth they fixated by Logic(sic)~Maths as the criteria for intelligence!Hence many times MA(Eng) walla has not a chance in front of some Msc?even though most of us know T.S. Elliott is tougher than much of the rocket science!But due to the clerical nature of our Primary/Secondary Education we think Imagination and Literature are alien to Sciences and Logic therefore abhor non Tech. Creativity .....

Hi

Do u always wonder why b schools prefer people from science background?

The bell in this tiny little head of mine has been ringing for while ! may be i would like hear ur views !

(A)
1.Had it not been the case then why would they ask higher level mathematics such
as Calculus or functions( u could say most of us have read those in our 10+2 ! well i
dont think so even iitjee syllabus is supposed to be 10+2 level.)With changing trend of
these exams i guess people with a science background have an edge.

2. Now u might say its obvious engineers are more analytical than others.Obviously 70 to
80 percent of the crowd that gets into the IIm's is from an engineering
background .Now i dont know whether they are analytical or not. i can say that the
total number of engineers givin the exam is formidable as well as people from science
background.

(B)

Why is it always said that its a cardinal sin to tell the iim panel or any other b school panel that he or she wants to pursue mba for the money?

1. i mean what is that? if its a sin then why are the iim'sor anyother b school so particular in advertising their highest salary or average salary i mean u come across abt the iims or anyother bschool they first start with batch placement and average salary. The aspirants who i have known so far either wanna start a business of their own(very very..... few),frustrated or not happy with where they are goin ( u can see some)and third which is very common is for the money and the lavish life style.

So if i cant tell the iim panel that i wanna do it for the money or iam bloody frustrated should i prefer to lie. I mean who gives a rat's ass if an institute cant givea good average salary evrey other third guy wants the same ...MONEY MONEY MONEY......