Thunderbird Vs Fordham

9 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Folks, I got admit from Thunderbird as well as from Fordham, and now I am really confused which way to go. I have searched a lot on these and here are my findings : ========================================================== Thund...
Page 1 of 1

Thx Kini444 and ayonde for your inputs.

I agree with ayonde to consider the possiblity of no job at all !! But in this case who will hold the more advantage ?
Who will have more chances of getting a job ? A person in AZ or a person in NYC ?
Again considering the worst case scenario that no job at all and I may need to come back to India.
Here comes the question of loan re-payment. Considering the cost involved T-bird 101K Vs forham 87K,
should have less burden of my head but again degree from t-bird may hold more value on CV, so the
dilemma still persists !!

I also found the following course :

Fordham Graduate School of Business :: Fordham University

This is a dual degree course MBA from Frodham and MIM ( Masters in international mgmt) from Thunderbird.
It is 21 months program with 75 credits ( 40 Fordham + 35 T-bird ). I am still gathering more info abt it such as
cost etc. But what is your take on this ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thx Kini444 and ayonde for your inputs.

I agree with ayonde to consider the possiblity of no job at all !! But in this case who will hold the more advantage ?
Who will have more chances of getting a job ? A person in AZ or a person in NYC ?
Again considering the worst case scenario that no job at all and I may need to come back to India.
Here comes the question of loan re-payment. Considering the cost involved T-bird 101K Vs forham 87K,
should have less burden of my head but again degree from t-bird may hold more value on CV, so the
dilemma still persists !!

I also found the following course :

Fordham Graduate School of Business :: Fordham University

This is a dual degree course MBA from Frodham and MIM ( Masters in international mgmt) from Thunderbird.
It is 21 months program with 75 credits ( 40 Fordham + 35 T-bird ). I am still gathering more info abt it such as
cost etc. But what is your take on this ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Kini444, for you , framing the question differently :

Doing engg from some vibrant part of Mumbai (say the college is in colaba or fort area ) but does not have much brandname against a college in say Nagpur having better brandname/more well known than the other college.
Which student will have advantage in fetching a decent job ?

See here you re not comparing two brands which are very different!!! Its not like you're comparing NYU and Fordham...
When you're aiming at this league, then location shud be your main priority considering job prospects... Plus if you're thinking on ROI then I would say Fordham...Location is the biggest advantage theres
So I would say a person from bombay from a lesser reputed college wud earn much more than a person from Nagpur... There is a huge difference in locations.. n neone wud chose bombay over nagpur

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@mailprasad

Also have some demarcation between getting a job and getting a High paying job

Suppose, In Fordham you get a $ 50,000 job before you graduate Vs getting a $ 70,000 job after 6 months of graduation from T-Bird. Which one would you prefer?

Dont rule out the possibility of not getting a job at all, have a plan B ready.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@ mailprasad

I have mentioned a similar analysis on a post by Maverick2407 , Eller / Thunderbird / Alberta / Sauder, you might wanna check that out, Comming back to your Question

Let me imagine a worst case Scenario, you pass out from either T-Bird or Fordham, without a job at the time of graduation; so you gotta work your guts out to find a job. which college do you think will help you sell yourself better?

In my opinion thats where the so called "ranking" comes in; you may say that T- bird is ranked in FT, #1 in IB for 14 consecutive years by US News, QS mba rates T-Bird #13, Eduniversal also rates it in top 25, BW rates it 2- Tier.
About Fordham, i guess only Forbes rates it.

(In my personal Opinion) College such as Fordham , Baruch , hofstra etc are Finance focused, as their geographical proximity to NYC is strong, picture it as KJ Somaiya / Welingkar etc and their Geographical proximity to Mumbai - its Finance all over.

Head To Head
I will beg to differ that it's as black n white as Brand Vs Location

Since you have ruled out Finance, T-Bird will hold an edge over everything
You are talking of cost to your pocket
at T - Bird Tution @ $78,000 for 2 years + living expense - Whatever you will earn working at college - GA / TA / Schols if any (aint aint gonna be at $ 100,000 trust me; I am in touch with many T-Bird students)
Fordham Tution etc might cost you $ 85,000, but remember thats NYC baby! its gonna cost like hell!!!!! room rent, cable everything!

You mentioned you wanna Consulting / Strategy / Operations. try to find out more about the curriculum, choice of electives

Also In my opinion, The percentage of Students enrolling in a Functional Area would generally reflect the strength of the college. E.g 50% enrolled in Finance in Fordham ; 26% enrolled in marketing in T- Bird. In my opinion T-Bird is a better college over all.

Although Do read my other post in Maverick2407.
There is employement rate of 60% at T-Bird and there are 580 students at T-Bird, imagine the competition.

In black & White
For me, if its Brand Name V/s Location
I will go for Brand Name, and I will exercise that brand name to get a job , though i might have to work tad bit harder and network exhaustively.

You decide for youself.

Hope it Helps
Ayon 😃

Also try to seperate SCM from Operations.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello Kini444 and ayonde,

Thank you for your reply.

My preference is consultancy,strategy,systems. I know that NYC is a major financial hub but there are companies for this domain as well.

The question remains is the brand Vs the location !!

Also the cost involved which is for t-bird ($100K) which is a huge investment, for this reason, RoI becomes most imp factor i.e. if I have to invest that much amount, where the RoI will be more ? For Fordham is cost comes close to ($85~87K ).

The following example may not map the situation exactly but I guess ayonde may answer this :

Doing engg from a college A located in the heart of B'lore ( say koramangala ) however the brand name is not known much .....against doing engg from a college B which is located in some remote city of Karnataka but the brand B is ranked higher than brand A. The will the student from college A will have adv over student of college B ?

Kini444, for you , framing the question differently :

Doing engg from some vibrant part of Mumbai (say the college is in colaba or fort area ) but does not have much brandname against a college in say Nagpur having better brandname/more well known than the other college.
Which student will have advantage in fetching a decent job ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Depends upon what do you want from your MBA and/or what do you wanna major in?

If you wish to make Finance as your major (or Finance consultancy etc), go for Fordham, it's strength is Finance & proximity to NYC.

for everything else, I would suggest for T-bird.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

If you're looking for a job post your MBA then Fordham is a better choice. All these rankings dont matter when you're applying to schools beyond the top 30 B Schools... Fordham is in NY State and thats the greatest advantage!!!! Fordham is good for Finance courses so if you're looking at Finance concentration the opt for Fordham, but if you wana specialize in International Business then Thunderbird it is.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Folks,

I got admit from Thunderbird as well as from Fordham, and now I am really confused which way to go.

I have searched a lot on these and here are my findings :

==========================================================
Thunderbird :

Pros :

- Excellent course
- Good ranking and recognition in most of the rankings ( ft, usnews )

Cons:

- Arizona, location disadvantage as most of the jobs are available on east coast
- Expensive. I talked to the folks studying there and they said the total cost ( fees+stay+food+other) will go upto $1,00,000 which is huge investment.

=========================================================
Fordham :

Pros :

- Excellent location advantage
- Fees are less as compared to Thunderbird

Cons :

- Not well recognized as compared to Thunderbird.
- Not listed in any standard ranking such as ft, businessweek etc.
==========================================================

Please help me. I will really appreciate your inputs in this matter.
Thanks in advance.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...