Thread for Sentence Correction and Appropriate Usage in VA

2,879 Posts  ·  298 Users
About this group
Hey Frnds, > coming to sentence correction in Verbal Ability.... I think it is one of those areas where you are very circumspect about..... some doubt will be lurking inside while attempting those appropriate usage questions.. ...
Page 1 of 288
my take
1) 4
2) 2

man! u just bumped an old dead thread.please check the last posting date
move here for SCs
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/sentence-correction-for-cat-2008-25028880
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
c'mon puys try this

DIRECTIONS for questions 1 and 2: Each sentence has a missing part. From the options given choose the most appropriate one to make up the missing part.
1. The haste with which the police jumped to conclusions that were lapped up by a less than responsible and sensation hungry media
_____.
(1) really portrays a prejudiced mindset, one which causes members of the minority community to be deemed suspect consistently
(2) really portrays a prejudiced mindset, which cause members of the minority community to be consistently deemed suspect
(3) really portrays a prejudiced mindset, which cause members of the minority community to be deemed suspect consistently
(4) really portrays a prejudiced mindset, one which causes members of the minority community to be consistently deemed suspect
2. The party _____ now offers 5000 acres of prime land to MNC for shopping malls, residential complexes, food, health and IT parks.
(1) that had made solid inroads in the rural belt by embracing landless peasants
(2) had made solid inroads in the rural belt by embracing landless peasants
(3) that made solid inroads of the rural belt by embracing landless peasants
(4) making solid inroads of the rural belt by embracing landless peasants

my take
1) 4
2) 2

this is my first post on this thread...
i also feel A and A to be the answer... but not sure..
i think that people should answer their q after a reasonable amount of time so that others can check whether they answered correctly or not...

This might be useful.

GMAT Q&A;: GMAT Sentence Correction

thank's friend for providing the link...........

watson
Hey guys,

i have a bit confusion in the following two sentences. can u give me the correct answer from the options...... Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way that automation revolutionized factory production

Nice 2 cum bck 2 d good old thread...
Well, the answers should be...

1. (A)..for obvious reasons...U (yu...)

2. (A)..the niceties lie in the usage of "that" and "as". Usage of as for comparison should b preferred over that, for the same...

ciao

P.S. --> Plz confirm the answers for urself, i have not revised my fundas post GMAT... Nevertheless, i stick to (A) and (A)
Me @:www.rajatmishra.co.in; "He knows not his own strength, who hath not met adversity- Ben Johnson"

A big kudoos to koseram!!!

I cleared the infosys written test and english part was a cake walk with preparation of Sentence correction Q's from this thread.I would contribute good q's too.

i have a bit confusion in the following two sentences. can u give me the correct answer from the options given

1. (A) We are a UK based consultancy firm
(B) We are an UK based consultancy firm

2. (A) Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way as automation revolutionized factory production
(B) Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way that automation revolutionized factory production

My take -->

1 --> U in UK pronounced as "you", hence A
2 --> Confusing.. {wouldn't have marked anything in CAT }

Senetence A would have been fine if a "had" had been interspersed.
Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way as automation had revolutionized factory production.
--- Sometimes these omissions are legal sometimes not... (Can anyone help with this..)
Sentence B seems slightly better but is an odd way of saying it.

Nitin
Hey guys,

i have a bit confusion in the following two sentences. can u give me the correct answer from the options given

1. (A) We are a UK based consultancy firm
(B) We are an UK based consultancy firm

2. (A) Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way as automation revolutionized factory production
(B) Mastercraft has revolutionized software writing in much the same way that automation revolutionized factory production

my take:
A
B
Hey guys,

My take
1(A)
2(B)