The Working Dude/Duddette's Guide To Preparing for CAT!

54 Posts  ·  54 Users
About this group
After the stupendous(?) success(?) of my last article I got enough requests (ok, only 2!) to seriously consider writing this one. After all, if there's one half of the CAT population only studying for the CAT, and I got their approval , only makes...
Page 1 of 6

Is the article for the Dark Ages not yet out???

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
After the stupendous(?) success(?) of my last article I got enough requests (ok, only 2!) to seriously consider writing this one. After all, if there's one half of the CAT population only studying for the CAT, and I got their approval , only makes sense for me to go after the other half i.e. working people's approval na? So, continuing with the trend of writing from my personal experience(and thus boring you), let's get down to some gyaan giving.
The working dude(or dudette) can be easily classified into 2 categorieshe(or she) that does and he(or she) that doesn't. Those of you who don't,STOP! Proceed to read my other article. Or anything else you might find interesting. If the best you do at office is generate hot coffee from the heat of your chair, you are better off reading the Science magazine. Or some novel. Or some self help book. And yeah, get paid for it too! Oohhh the joys of being a bench warmer 😃
(Psst-- You do realise that your evaluation report aint gonna be very flattering but if you've got an IIM call to flaunt who cares right?)
In the Beginning:
Right, Working juntathe people who work ungodly hours everyday and(shudder!) the weekends too. Did ye know that atleast 1 half of the CAT junta has no other work in the world right now but study full time for CAT?? Which means that you have no other option but work your b-o-t-Tom off if you want to make it. Which means No Whining, No Cribbing , No Moaning , No Slacking(ok maybe a little of the first 3 but a strict No No to the last one). Period.
First things first. You start NOW! Not in June or May or even April but NOW!! Given the long hours you work, you don't want to reach THE Disaster Situation(hereafter ominously referred to as D.S.)--You are trying to ace the Mocks ,all the while thinking "If only I'd finished/studied these topics(better)"
Exercise in Analysis. Do a SWOT analysis on yourself. What are you good at? So-so at? Weak at? You cannot afford to go to the test centres without being strong in 2 sections and good in the third! When are your best study hours? Early morning or late night? Do you study best in groups or alone?
Read this PsychoD's article
Once you've read that, combined with the SWOT analysis above and Munira's article even more above, you are ready to start. You now have a fairly good idea of the important topics( Whaddya mean you dont? Read the articles again then) Munira has also given you an excellent timetable. Try it.
In your case, a time table is essential otherwise you reach D.S. quite comfortably. You have to keep track of topics covered, topics pending and time remaining. Don't even think about "catching up on the weekend" That's a temporary solution to your conscience (I am assuming you have one) but will still lead you quite happily to D. S.
Create a buffer period in your timetable. There will be weeks when you will get absolutely no work done/the quality of your work will be circumspect/you will fall sick. Make allowances for all these and more. Ideally you should have 3 time-tables. Munira's is the long term one. Create a monthly(medium-term)time-table wherein you hope(hope is eternal isn't it?) to finish X amt of work and a weekly(short-term) time-table--topics to be covered during the week(yeah right.) Even as I typed the above statements, I realised creating 3 time-tables might sound like a lot of work. But it really isnt. Just look at last year's "Calling all CAT-2005 Junta" thread and work off it. Or even the Calling all Cat-2006 Junta
The Middle Ages:
While it may not be possible for you to devote 2-3 hours everyday, you have to devote atleast 1-2 hrs . This is apart from whatever class you join(weekly/weekend). On days that you have been fortunate enough to get home at a decent hour,study Q. Even DI. On days where you've slogged like a donkey and are dead tired read the newspapers/editorials. For that so-so feeling days, try a hot water bath. Then decide if you are tired or fresh enough to try Q/DI. Whatever happens you have to get atleast 2.5hrs of Q ,1.5 hrs of DI and the rest to VA.
Me, I was good in VA and Q and weak in DI. So I'd study my VA/Q during the weekdays and squeeze in a few sets of DI everyday. I used to be home by about 9 or so. Dinner and a hot bath and I was ready for some serious work by 10:30. Study till 11:30/12. Sleep. Wake up at 5:30/6 do DI till 7.Weekends were off for me so this was my consolidation period where I'd go over my week's work and note mistakes/weak areas/catch up on pending work.
Get friends to e-mail you e-material. Find some yourself and mail it to your office id. That way during a slack hour, you can atleast get some work done. Join 1 of those groups that mail material every other day. Atleast there you'll have someone to clear your doubts and keep you on track. PG once mentioned about doing something along those line. Pray that he starts this year itself.
There used to be an old joke that did the rounds(I haven't seen it in a while so I guess it's retired now) which listed the reasons why you were an IT professional or worked in an MNC(Apply 1 that fits you). One of the reasons was "You secretly prepare for the CAT only to find your PL sitting behind you in the hall" . Funny eh? It won't be as funny though when your PL walks off with the IIM call. He'll be jobless most of the time. You won't. So look around. Find out who else is preparing for the CAT. Look for familiar faces at the Mock Test Centres. You should form a study/support group with these people. They are the ones who will be helping you during working hours, who cover for you, who give you e-material they've sourced from places, who talk you out of jumping off the office floor( and then shove their 100percentiles in your face. It always happenstrust me).
Every once in a while, you will get a day off. Don't spend all day studying. Perhaps a coupla hours in the morning that's it(Factored this into your buffer period?). Spend time with family/friends. Catch a movie. Recharge your batteries. It is important to enjoy the whole CAT prep experience. You never know, you may not get to do it again next year :-)
p.s The Dark Ages or the period before CAT that is filled with Mocks,FLTs,Sectional Tests et al is dealt with in a future article.
---------------
Added by Mahip:
Please check these links to read all the articles which Neo has mentioned the first post.

Got through? Good. Now what?
By Arun 'Psychodementia' Jagannathan
Published: March 29, 2005
PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - Got through? Good. Now what? - Admission Tests
The Below Average Student's Guide to Cracking the CAT
By Neo2000
Published: December 10, 2005
PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - The Below Average Student's Guide to Cracking the CAT - Admission Tests
Confessions of a serial almost-100 percentiler
By Munira Lokhandwala
Published: February 12, 2006
PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - Confessions of a serial almost-100 percentiler - Admission Tests
Read for Speed - Munira Lokhandwala Unleashed!
By Munira Lokhandwala
Published: March 7, 2006
PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - Read for Speed - Munira Lokhandwala Unleashed! - Admission Tests
Where do you stand in your CAT preparation?
By Munira Lokhandwala
Published: July 6, 2006
PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - Where do you stand in your CAT preparation? - Admission Tests

Hey..

This 1 absolutely crazzyy post till now I read in PG.

I am new to PG and aiming to make CAT 2009 big one for me.

I am working in IT n have promised myself not to be devoted to office.It has already screwd up my IQ... (considering I had some of it 😉 )

Your post is really good one.

Can you tell me in details about E-material? where from i get those?

hi puys..leave this post, just to to subscribe this thread

Hi,

When I try to access the Munira's thread and others, I get an error page saying "Sorry, your account does not have access to this section."

Can anyone help pls?:(

Cheers.

dude!! even i got the same error!! i had to search in Google...
here is the link for that munira's article.. n from now on jus search google!!

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=37&p2;_articleid=294

yenjoooyyy!!! :satisfie:
Shouldnt this thread be
"The Working Dude/Dudess's Guide To Preparing for CAT!'

Dudette middle ka lagta hai ;-)

dude!! don't worry!! u cant. bhool ja thumare cat ke sapne.. thuje pakka nahin milega CAT mein..

Hi,

When I try to access the Munira's thread and others, I get an error page saying "Sorry, your account does not have access to this section."

Can anyone help pls?:(

Cheers.

Iam not able to access the articles. It says my account does not have access. I wonder why.....

Hi all,

This is suppose to be my first post. Recently registered on to this site and found this quite helpful.

I am a software engineer by profession and working in Bangalore. I have recently joined a coaching institute for CAT 2006. I am quite determined to make it in this year and hence looking for someone to guide me, to schedule my routine for preparation.

What I am looking for is an answer from someone who has managed to get into IIM's/B-School along with his work going side by side. I am able to take near about 3 hours everyday out of my work for preparation. Listed is the question that i am seeking answer for :

1) Out of 7 days in a week, I know giving importance to all modules equally is important. How should I manage to do this. Right now, everything that I am studying is jumbled up.How can I effectively put in my 3hrs per day of work to justice for all modules like Quant, Vocab, LR/DI and general stuff. Please provide me with a possible schedule that I can follow throughout dividing my time for all modules/week.It would be of great help to me and also for those who are facing the same problem all around the place.

Thanks n GodSpeed,
Ameriprise.

well... this is not a query.. but a general thought... grad from nit trichy this yr.... Jus joined my first job... gave cat last yr... got 97.. no calls... none even from spjimr and mdi and xlri... this yr have changed my whole perspective... its IIMs or bust!! so am jus gonna register for CAT...

am still in training at my job.. shld get over in a week... and then plannin on startin prep this yr... think shld b able to put in 2 hrs a day... weekends... perhaps a lil more...

was wonderin whether wld b able to pull off calls with this much prep... am yet to register for the sim or aimcats... have not been able to put in any prep till now.. had lotsa work at home.. and then trouble movin into blore... finally think im settled....

wat do u ppl think?? possible?? pls. for heavens sake... dont reply.. ' NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE'.... wld really appreciate if wld get some feedback from working junta or working junta in the IIMs....

Hi All:
I am preparing for CAT 07. I am not able to improve my English. Never able to clear the cut-offs in this section.
My sternght is QA. My starstedgy is QA50MIN) FOLLOWED BY VA/RC (50) followed by DI/LR.
Now i am planning to spend some more time in QA so that I can score well in this section and will try to just clear the cut-offs
in either section. But I am never able to clear in VA . I attempt 75% of VA with just 55-60% accuracy. PLease advice.

Dude, if you're weak in a section, it always make sense to just clear cut-offs in the section and maximise your score in your stronger section.. Your time allocation is fine (i think!).. because unlike DI / QA .. VA is not something where scores can be increased by allocating more time..

But again... this is just MY opnion...!
hi..m a grad.. completed my finals dis year.. m currently workin.. n wanna complete my post grads.. so m gonna give CAT dis year.. well d prob is m not able to adjust d timins.. coz my work timins r 8-8 n den it gets really stressed.. i mean its 4 d 1st timers like me who r not so adjustable wid work .. so wat do i do?.. all my frenz r busy preparin demselves 4 CAT.. de hve a whole day 2 do so.. HELP!