The secret behind successful essays

11 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
A few valuable tips for writing strong essays to support your application, from the co-founder of the QS World MBA Tour. *1\. Edit your essays * Read through for logic, and be sure to use your computer's spelling and grammar check. This ...
Page 1 of 2
Azeem Says
----------------

Hi,

In your other post wrote on 17th Nov. at the below link

----------------------------

you have said that you are an aspirant! Now so soon you got admits????? And you did not even post about the admits???

I think you are working in cahoots with the above post.

Mods: This looks like surrogate advertising!!

Thanks,
Abhishek.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Time - that was an excellent article. thanks so much 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

There is an interesting download from Business Week on what NOT to write in essays.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Some more things I urge all applicants to do:
a) If applying online, then practice the essays on an MS Word file by trying to answer the essay questions in about 90% of the word limit. It will help develop writing skill.
b) On professional / personal stories that respond to leadership or other situational essays, assume a 400 word limit (20-25 lines) - concentrate on getting the situation / challenge in just 4-5 lines, your reactions, actions, solutions & results in the next 10-15 lines; with the last 5-6 lines stating why this was important to you, or what you learnt from the experience going forward.
c) Write flawless grammar..... you'll hear this repeatedly, but do so.... flawed grammar can make a small yet significant (to a reader) difference to an otherwise wonderfully crafted essay.
d) Remember, with the exception of the stanford essay (where the challenge is to NOT ramble) essays are condensed versions of your rationale for an MBA. Be crisp, sharp, concise yet passionate about your goals. Use vocabulary & sentencing that will help you shorten sentences, yet keep them understandable to the reader. You may have heard of "active verbs". An example - instead of "I was responsible for ....", try writing "I managed / supervised / controlled / led / learnt / imbibed / executed / trained...". Avoid long winding sentences - any sentence longer than two lines is probably two/three words too long. Avoid complicated verbiage as this will eat into the limited number of words you are otherwise allowed.
e) Last but not least, IF you find yourself writing a good essay WITHOUT using up the word limit, pat yourself on the back, but DON'T write more just to make the number of words.
f) Without getting too journalistic, try and use direct speech in describing your own thoughts in a situation above or others words.. Simple example - describing a success at work could start with Quote-- "We won....", cried my boss... -- Unquote. This helps a reader connect with you by imagining / visualizing what you might have heard, seen or experienced. Use them sparingly and where you believe the reader will understand you better.
Good luck
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

The article was articulate and interesting to read. I believe that the article should consist details on specific sections. It was a very general article, needs to be more specific.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Amit you can find them here

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=43

Or you could just simply go to http://www.pagalguy.com/gmat to reach all the older International MBA articles 😃
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
amitnsitian Says
i can see only latest 5 articles under the GMAT, International MBA heading on the main page. But what about the old articles that were written on this topic?

Amit you can find them here

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=43
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Govi Says
Amit which articles are you looking for old articles related to GMAT and MBA abroad or those articles that are featured on the main page of the forum?

i can see only latest 5 articles under the GMAT, International MBA heading on the main page. But what about the old articles that were written on this topic?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

one more thing, how can we search for the old articles?

Amit which articles are you looking for old articles related to GMAT and MBA abroad or those articles that are featured on the main page of the forum?
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

thanks a ton Apurv for this excellent article ! Though its a bit late for me but it is surely gonna help many future applicants.
one more thing, how can we search for the old articles?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...