The Readers' Paradise.

9 Posts  ·  157 Users
About this group

This group is intended for commentary on science fiction, high fantasy, and related subjects from a wide range of writers from all corners of the field. Our aim is to explore, encourage, and enable interesting and rewarding conversations with and between readers, ranging from discussions related to a Character of any high fantasy series to much more. 

Page 1 of 1

Any book which provides a contrasting opinion to Ayn Rand's philosophy? 

1 like6 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 6
scrabbler
@scrabbler  ·  35,661 karma

Alternate them :)

Like  ·  Reply  ·  1 like  ·  
scrabbler

Also, I'd say read for at least 15 min a day if you can't manage an hour. Just before going to bed maybe. Read an article from aeon or aldaily if you can't find the energy for a novel. But make it a habit. 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

has anyone read the silent patient?what are your thoughts about it?

1 like2 comments
Nucleotides
@Nucleotides  ·  108 karma

I liked it. Although the pace is slighlty slow, the ending was unexpected for me. Have seen some opposite views as well that the ending was predictable. Would personally recommend reading it.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  2 likes  ·  
QuantsGuy
@QuantsGuy  ·  129 karma

I read it a while back and dont remember much of it, that in a way says a lot about the book. But its a good page turner and easy to read. 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I haven't read either of these, but is "A Prisoner of Birth" and "The Count of Monte Cristo" exactly the same? No spoilers please

2 likes3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
ThokoTaali
@ThokoTaali  ·  115 karma

@scrabbler Thanks lord. I actually ordered them both and read over the internet that APoB was a " contemporary retelling" of Dumas's 1844 novel The Count of Monte Cristo, and was scared if I blew out the money on the same plot. :P 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
scrabbler

Plot may be related. But the original is insanely good so if the latter is half as good it will still be worth it :)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello everyone, I just read this book during this weekend and found it phenomenal for all the reasons, would urge you all to please read it someday. 

Moonwalking with Einstein- Joshua Foer.

Foer discovered that the people who win memory contests use certain techniques for visualizing things, techniques mostly developed in ancient Greece. He wasn’t sure these techniques really worked, so he spent a year practicing them every day. After just a year, he entered and won the U.S. Memory Championship. He actually broke the U.S. speed record for memorizing a deck of cards insanely fast, this book is all about those little improvements we all seek in our lives everyday. Loved it honestly.

A Learner
9 likes3 comments
QuantsGuy
@QuantsGuy  ·  129 karma

@DhvaniWaghmare Sounds interesting, I added it to my reading list.

Yoda2020
@Yoda2020  ·  62 karma

@DhvaniWaghmare Thanks for the suggestion! Really did like the way he investigated each and every detail. Loved it and was really an eyeopener in many regards.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I recently came across a book - Sophie's World.

It's a philosophical book and totally changed my perspective towards how we see things. If you've read it share your thoughts?

If not give it a try, you won't regret. 📚 

Link for reference: http://people.tamu.edu/~sdaniel/Sophie%27s%20World%201-184.pdf

Eava
6 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey Guys, I have a doubt , please share you opinion on this:

1) Do you think Self-Help books are actually useful and effective in improving our lives. Do you have any experience of reading a self help book and that changed your life , if so please share your experience.

2) I have read a good amount of books but I am struggling to remember what I read after maybe 4-5 months or so, when you read a very well written book you always take time to appreciate the work and while reading I'd feel like I'll never forget that in my life but 4-5 months past I dont remember anything. Did you guys ever feel that way , how did you overcome it , other that re-reading the book?

Also I have read some good inspirational books and some lessons or principles of which I would want to implement in my life , but I tend to forget about them when the moment come ,like I read the book on Deep Work by Cal Newport , it had great actionable suggestions but I always forget what they were after some time. How do you guys make sure to put the lessons learnt in books into action, any suggestions please.

MDI Gurgaon 2020-2022 CAT 19: 99.60 GEM 
8 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 8
Usso
@Usso  ·  7 karma

@Jaiyant Make your bed was pretty handy for me. Of course the youtube video that inspired it is good enough. As for recalling from a book, I would say you're more likely to remember a small portion that can be handy some day. It just depends on how much of an impact the book made on you. I would say that self help books are only useful if you actively try to practice the advice for a long period of time such that it gets ingrained as a habit, or try to actively recall it from time to time. It works for me but I do not promise that it would work for you.

Jaiyant
@Jaiyant  ·  174 karma

@Usso Thank you , Ill give that a read :

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

During the chilly winters of February, a thread was posted over XAT group where a user was requesting for Book reccos and whole of the PG family shared their lovely reccos, from different genres like Sci Fi, to Fantasy to Fiction, and many more. The thread literally went beyond 150 comments since everyone shared their favourite reads, and unfortunately the user had to delete her account. But, before that, she jotted down the entire list of Reccos and shared with us in a WhatsApp group and I am sharing it further with you all. 😅

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lyR5QNgwLKji3opzBsgde-MiXtOuYxzE?usp=sharing

28 likes13 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 13
GEMmeansGunah
@GEMmeansGunah  ·  238 karma

@Gandalf.the.White Hey, A week ago, I texted you a book list which I got hold from the various recommendations from my friends and my own in the Fiction genre, you might have missed that text. Can you please add them to this list? Thanks :)

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
QuantsGuy
@QuantsGuy  ·  129 karma

@GEMmeansGunah or you can just make it as a post and share it here. I know we will all appreciate that.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Free to register

If anyone is awaiting, Brandon Sanderson's Rhythm of War, here it is when the event with Paolini is happening, live.

Jun 12: Bestselling authors, SFF icons, and friends Christopher Paolini(To Sleep in a Sea of Stars) and Brandon Sanderson (Rhythm of War) chat about their upcoming projects, their writing processes, science fiction, fantasy, and everything in between. This conversation will be pre-recorded and available only during the weekend of #TorCon. 

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/PaoliniSanderson/register 

3 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Has anybody read any books on behaivoural science recently? I recently read Nudge but wasn't really impressed by it. Any suggestions?

CAT19 : 99.88 XAT20 : 99.722
1 like3 comments
Jaiyant
@Jaiyant  ·  174 karma

I read 'the art of thinking clearly'  it was a great read but not a book that gives you any takeaway to directly apply in real life. Was more like a self help book in essence.

Revan08
@Revan08IIM Ahmedabad  ·  454 karma

Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland is a good read

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...