The debate on the Movie "Girlfriend"

13 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Hi How many of u watched the debate on "we the Poeple" last weekend.One of the rare sensible episodes,i thought.All the participants were pretty much clear abt what they thought.And thankfully,they didnt bring any right winger to provide a "b...
Page 1 of 2

There is difference between Boldness and vulgarity.
Comeon guys we are grown ups so we dont see the seriousness of the matter correctly.
Just imagine your childhood days , watching chitrahar with your family and the next song they show is two girls having lesbo.
Its good to send messages to society thru muvies. Thats what they are made for but there is a way to express yourself.
You cant show sex to educate people about sex education. Can you?

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

as far as i am concerned .................. i dont mind movies being made on gays ppl............. but atleast the movie should be decent.............. not crap like girl friend ............. which actually potrayed gays or shud i say lesbians as pshyco................. in movies like rules.......... and mumbai matinee there was a decent attempt to show about feeling of homosexuals............ i didnt minded that............. but this ..............

lokesh

Just because 0.0001% of a society follows a particular thing .. should we make it a movie and say "based on changing trends"

What next now ??? Maybe a "bold" new film on incest etc ... it might be occuring .. RIGHT ???

i read in TOI that 1/6th of all indians are gay :shock:

although this may not be true 0.0001 is also not a true estimate

seriously buddy,u shdnt be quoting TOI if the intention is to hv a serious discussion!!But i do agree with u that homosexuality migh be more prevalent than we wld like to think.
The statistic quoted on NDTV puts the figure at 10%.But I think prolly the figure includes a substantial number of ppl who hv such tendencies (in varying degrees) but dont enter into actual r'ships.
So ,a social issue,it is.
Just because 0.0001% of a society follows a particular thing .. should we make it a movie and say "based on changing trends"

What next now ??? Maybe a "bold" new film on incest etc ... it might be occuring .. RIGHT ???

i read in TOI that 1/6th of all indians are gay :shock:

although this may not be true 0.0001 is also not a true estimate

Even i completely disagree with what Mahesh Bhatt says about how it ultimately boils down to money and stuff like that. he should understand that he has to make money "respectably".
I dont know if this is a stupid example, but what if I decided that making money was all that it is to life and started dealing in drugs, trafficking women or men and sell undesirable material to children! We all know this is wrong!
And that is precisely what I think is wrong with our filmmakers. They think the box office is God! The Box Office is only one of the parameters in filmmaking, but that is not the be all and end all of filmmaking.
To continue my parallel, there are enough people out there who would buy drugs from me or sell humans or make a quick buck immorally. does that then mean that I have an audience and I can cater to them?

I don't however agree with mahesh bhatt there about bollywood ppl present only for making money.These people have a responsibility towards the society when they are making films cuz in a country of 1 billion strong where this medium is a part and parcel of peoples lives, the films can have a very profound impact.Whereas, on the contrary we see very sensitive films being made in the US. Are these films not box office succeses? and even if there is a danger of these films flopping can't producers like jhamu sughand who has every other superhit in his kitty try and be passionate towards cinema and infuse creativity into it instead of being narrowminded and pander to the imagination of a rickshawwalla( as said by bhatt in "we the people")?

If you feel the values and ethics in the society arent what they are they you better try and change it by bringing out some sensitive and sensible films.....think of a place where every teacher thinks of monetary benefits...every doctor puts money above people's lives...where would the society be and how would it progress...the role of the filmmakers is similar...as long as you dont assume a responsiblity towards your country and genuinely want to make a difference, our cinema would be muddled in stereotypes and cliches.

Except for a handful of people like shekhar kapur / mainratnam how many spielberg's or a bertolucci's can india boast of?

Coming to the topic of discussion i would rather see a murder than a girlfriend cause the former was made with a sole purpose to titillate and was aimed at a certain section of the audience...but girlfriend and fire( how can a lady become a lesbian because her husband loves another woman) both were big mistakes cuz they did not do justice to the minority they were addressed to and inturn hurt their feelings...

cheers

arviyon Says
one small point. had the so called "right wingers" not made such a big noise about the movie , this movie would have cetainly flopped . stupid movies like these rarely work at the box - office . take the flim "hawas " made by the same flimmaker just sometime ago . It sank without a trace. flims like "murder " worked cos the flim also had a decent script . thamks to these maniac protesters , this trash flim generated curiosity among the public and is now a hit .

I agree the protests did play a role in the film nor flopping.But dont think thats the only reason.I think many ppl wld go and watch the movie sheerly out of curiosity.And then there wld be many ppl who wld go and watch it for the titillation effect.
As the film director of OOPS (forgot his name)said,even badly made erotic films run well in 'B' and 'C' centres.
In fact,im surprised that this film has not become a major hit.

thr thing is movie is crap........... absolute crap.............. no acting............ no story line............ nothing.............. ppl are going to see this movie jst bcas of curiosity and as they curiosity kills the cat............ thats wt happening.......... almost same case like ek choti se love story manisha fame................. and this movie is not worth discussing..................

lokesh
ps- deepak tijori directed OOPS
Spiderman Says
one small point. had the so called "right wingers" not made such a big noise about the movie , this movie would have cetainly flopped . stupid movies like these rarely work at the box - office . take the flim "hawas " made by the same flimmaker just sometime ago . It sank without a trace. flims like "murder " worked cos the flim also had a decent script . thamks to these maniac protesters , this trash flim generated curiosity among the public and is now a hit .

I agree the protests did play a role in the film nor flopping.But dont think thats the only reason.I think many ppl wld go and watch the movie sheerly out of curiosity.And then there wld be many ppl who wld go and watch it for the titillation effect.
As the film director of OOPS (forgot his name)said,even badly made erotic films run well in 'B' and 'C' centres.
In fact,im surprised that this film has not become a major hit.