TIME iS THE BesT......
I think the criteria for a good TS are
- Large base of students
- Students well dispersed thru out the country
- Lot of unpredictablity in the tests( this help u to take in account unpredictable nature of student)
- Level of students participating in the TS( pretty subjective)
- The kind of solutions, tips n tricks, shortcuts provided for different questions
I joined time TS in delhi last year and i found gud in all above respects. The only problem which i faced was tht sum papers were repeated from earlier year papers. also gave sum CL n IMS free MOCK CATS to have a better feel. so the way i suggest is to join TIME TS n go for free mocks of other institutes.
the opinion is very subjective and plzzz find all disclaimers attached
Friend if you want to make it to a good B-School,then the correct level of testing is required.With which you can judge your performance in diffrent tests with diffrent difficulty.Plus PT has already Introduced the CT's with Diffrential marking pattern.
why not start a poll it'll give a better idea which mock is better or the best...
to add to the tests at PT, i wud like to tell u that this time too the CT"s have begun and the first one, i gave on monday. yes very rightly said, the va was very easy this time but the para jumblbes were very tricky and were tough.
the toughest part was qa and the cutoof's wont go more than 12-13. and di/ds/lr was easy. wen i talked to the techers there, they said that the std wud remain more or les the same with minor variations and if one can maintain a score above 55-60 , then there's a very gud chance.
overall i found the paper very gud and almost on the lines of cat-2004 as i also gave cat.
My two cents on the current topic:
1. TIME gives heavy discounts for previous CAT scores. I myself got the whole 16 Test series for just 1250. The actual price is 3950/-.Note TIME mocks start from july 31st.
2. Last year I took IMS and was pretty satisfied with the quality of questions. Yes they are on the tougher side. The only section with which I was not satisfied was Verbal since it had almost no variation:huh:. Else it was ok. Also I think Simcats is a must since the no. of simcats taker is pretty huge last year it was between 25K - 35K on an average. Thus you have a better idea of your standing. Also SIMCATs will never let you be overconfident with your preps. Most of the guys who made it to IIMs this year were scoring between 45 - 50 this regularly...At TIME there scores were always more than 70. So SIMCATs definitely represent the upper bound on CAT as far as toughness of question is considered. If you are doing well in SIMCATs you are bound to do well at CAT
~Will Crack CAT
After nagila's post im bit confused.
oops.. i posted all that info just to aid your decision making process.. it seems to have had an opposite effect
After nagila's post im bit confused. I have started feeling that only the mock tests in the weekends is not enough.you need section tests too. They will keep you focused.I dont know from where to procure those materials. Career forum is not so good with their mocks(as i have heard). So im afraid to take their package.But they seem to be the only people who are offering section tests for non classroom students.So ppl kindly suggest a solution.
i tell u what.. today i did a small research.. i went to four institutes and enquired bout their test series... all four r nearby (jayanagar, bangalore) and here is what i found out
TIME - costs about rs. 3950/- 18 AIMCATs (first two only for regular class students) so only 16
CATscan - The CAT Test Series
Fees - Rs 2000/-
CATscan - The CAT Test Series (with Countdown - 15 full-length MockCAT tests - take away i think)
Fees - Rs 3000/
FocusCAT 2005 Testpack -
(CATscan + Countdown + CAT-Speedex (36 exercise papers to improve speed) + Cursor ( 15 test papers of other exams) + CATclincher (on receiving IIM call))
Fees - Rs 3857/-
CARRER LAUNCHER - rs.3000/- 13 National MOCKCAts and 18 take home CAT papers and 10 other insti exams (take home) 4 natinal mocks in july - first one on july 3rd - others from sep.. so did they say - PLZ REFER ABOUT THIS INFO.. IAM NOT 100% SURE
IMS - rs.2000/- 8 SIMCATs - starts aug end
i think CF and CL test series are good value for money.. i thought TIME comes next, IMS i dont think is a good option... but again there may be other factors.. so guys u decide.. i also went thro some of CLs materials while i was there.. its much better than IMS.. i mean much much better... and for the same cost for a regular course ill recommend CL over IMS