GHC News: Join Our Team!
Love blogging? Into tweeting and pinning? We're looking for volunteers to drive our online communities at this year's Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, and we need you! Volunteers blog, tweet, put notes on the GHC wiki, and post messages, photos, and videos on their social networks to help attendees and non-attendees alike keep track of what's happening at the conference. Some examples from past years can be found on our Grace Hopper Blog and Wiki. Or, you can check our Twitter hashtag, #ghc12, to see how this year's volunteers are already participating. To be an official volunteer, you need to sign up to:
- Attend at least three sessions at the conference
- Take notes or blog for each
- Post your notes as a session summary on our wiki, or add a pointer to your blog entry to the wiki.
If you're feeling daunted, keep in mind that it's really only one post/day, so it's a very easy commitment to keep! Apart from blogging and note-taking, we need volunteers to get discussion going and share things from the conference on their own accounts on:
What will you get out of it?
- The appreciation of your fellow attendees who can't possibly attend every session but are dying to know what happened in the session you blogged!
- An extra boost to your networking ability at the conference: you'll be highly visible as an official blog/wiki poster – other attendees will recognize you and seek you out to ask questions about the sessions you attended. In past years, I've made valuable connections as an official blogger and am in contact with them to this day!
- The chance to see your blog's name in lights! There will be over 3000 attendees at GHC this year. A great many of them will read your contributions to our communities and you'll see a definite boost to your blog readership/Twitter activity/Klout score/etc.
- A cool GHC Communities ribbon for your badge (ribbons are highly coveted at GHC, and the more the better!)
GHC is action packed and even the most active participants can't possibly attend every session. This is your chance to help provide them with as rich an experience as possible and help everyone catch up on all the amazing things that go on at the conference! We look forward to having you on our team!