Taking the GRE and the GMAT in the same year and applying for a masters and a business school at the same time?

1 Post  ·  2 Users
About this group
I am an application programmer with around 3 years of software development experience. I completed my M. Sc in Computer Applications in 2010 with a GPA of 3.2/4 and my BCA in 2008 with 77 %. I have always wanted to study abroad and feel that...
Page 1 of 1
I am an application programmer with around 3 years of software development experience. I completed my M. Sc in Computer Applications in 2010 with a GPA of 3.2/4 and my BCA in 2008 with 77 %.

I have always wanted to study abroad and feel that now is the best time to pursue this interest. I am not sure whether I want to take up a technical course or a management course. I am not sure whether I should start preparing for the GRE or the GMAT or both.

Considering the fact that I have already done a masters in Computer Science, I don't want to pursue an MS degree that is going to teach me the same things I already know all over again. I am interested in pursuing an MS that lets me focus on a more specialized area of Computer Science. For instance, the MET course at Carnegie Mellon University or the MS in Computer Science at DigiPen focus on a more specialized area of Computer Science i.e, Game Development/Entertainment Technology. Such courses make sense to an experienced software engineer as they don't focus on traditional skills that a software engineer with my kind of experience already learns on the job. The two courses I mentioned are just examples and I am open to any similar courses that focus on a more specialized domain. On the other hand, doing an MS in Computer Science from the top 10 in the world still excites me as I am sure what I'll learn there will have a significant impact on my skills.

I am also open to doing an MBA as I spent quite a lot of time applying for MBA colleges in India after completing my Bachelors degree but couldn't get through the business schools I was interested in joining. That's when I took up the M. Sc in Computer Applications.

I was thinking of taking both the GRE by March 2013 and the GMAT by mid August 2013 and applying for technical courses and business schools abroad for the Fall 2014 semester. I also don't mind targeting b schools in India but I am not sure whether I will be able to get done with my GMAT before the application process begins for 2014.

There are some top b schools abroad that accept the GRE score as well. I could completely skip the GMAT and rely on the GRE to apply for a masters as well as an MBA but I would be limiting my b school options this way.

Considering that I do have quite a lot of time on my hands for the 2014 academic year, I have the following questions :
1. Would it be a good idea to give the GRE as well as the GMAT to keep my options open? If yes, how should I plan to study for these exams.
2. How feasible is this going to be? Has anyone taken this path?
3. Would it be a better idea to just choose one exam and not confuse my self with the options later as it would be relatively easy for me to apply for a masters given my technical background.
4. Given my technical background, would it be tough for me to get through a good business school as I don't have the kind of experience that a business school looks for in candidates (Although I could work on this as I still have a lot of time on my hands ).
5. What areas of my profile do I need to enhance for the next year if I want to get into a good business school in India as well as abroad!

Thanks for reading!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...