Switching Career - Moving into IT for the good

5 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
I joined a shipping company called Maersk , since it was the first job that came my way . I get a good pay of 3lakhs p.a as a fresher plus numerous benefits like bi-yearly visit at Denmark for 2-weeks training etc...and other allowances which come...
Page 1 of 1

well vishy i agree with bizskool .......... it will be very good if u join IT firm as functional consultant rather than going for technical job !!!!!!!! wait ....get some more exp there and then u can get job in any IT company very easily.........

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hi vishi ur job sounds quite interesting I graduated this year from IT with 64% & not able to find a decent job yet working as a cse in HSBC bpo plz tell me how to get into maersk, do IT engineers fit into their domain & how to prep for interviews .
Dude I know this is not the right ans to ur ques nevertheless I would like to advice stick to ur job because there r plenty of ppl working for s/w & even in s/w u will get borede after some time .

Plz give me the details which prog is most suitable for me in maersk asap .

Hey...is.there.future.in.maersk??..I.mean.what.are.the.prospects.of.career.advancement.within.Maersk??

It will add value if you come to tech/SW after few years of shipping domain exp. else u will be one of the crowd Java programmer. On bench if economy goes down.

Spend few yrs in shipping, do a course/certification in SAP MM or similar. thereafter shift to IT-consulting as domain expert. i am sure Maersk uses some kind of ERP and tools, try learning that/them; how info flows, what info is reqd, data fields etc. Maersk may sponsor you for ERP trng down the line.

I joined a shipping company called Maersk , since it was the first job that came my way . I get a good pay of 3lakhs p.a as a fresher plus numerous benefits like bi-yearly visit at Denmark for 2-weeks training etc...and other allowances which comes to around 60K annually . infact there are MBA grads who join the same position .(I am a 2005 B.tech electronics engg with 63% . Got job after a long delay - 1 year due to back papers. )

But my mind is it not at it and the kind of work doesnt inspire me , I would love to get into more of a challenging job...Friends advise me that it wud be stupid to leave this JOB and join the lakhs of IT engineers out there ...They see its just like seeing greener pastures elsewhere ....
Right now I feel I shud go ahead with my passion for technology / software. Is this a bad idea considering msot ppl wanna leave IT jobs these days ?

I am really at a FIX , what shud I do ? I am planning to write Elitmus exam and try luck for a good opening ...

My career ambition is to start a software company of my own 😃
Or proably move into Finance at some stage ....
If things dont work well I would love to move into areas like Stock Exchange etc ... I like jobs that are challenging ...Dont want to stick to Jobs which calls in for a routine work culture ....

Please help me resolve this dillema

Rgds