suggest me a career option

4 Posts  ·  2 Users
About this group
All, I am an engineer and working in a reputed indian software company for three years now.When I joined the company, my immediate needs were good sal and stabilty.I got both of them with a good work environment and onsite opportunities. But t...
Page 1 of 1

Going back to full time education and then shifting helps. as of now shifting will be difficult horizontally.
1. if u are interested in a fin career go for MBA(fin)+ CFA (US). ICFAI India CFA has problems with the US body. however their MS-Fin is as relevant and standard. u need to do MBA from A-level schools only for a gud career shift.
do look at ISB-Hyd and NUS-singapore, subject to financial issues. u get loans up to 14 lacs and ROI is faster. 3 yrs exp suffices for both. uneed GMAT for them.
2. MBA-fin and a further fin career have lesser client mgmt role if u go for equity research, Invst banking etc.KPO's post MBA-fin will be pure research work with min client/team interaction.

3. if u look at MBA-systems u need to sit in client calls post MBA in role of presales/BD, developing RFP/RFQ etc. you can look at business analyst role also as interface between client and development. later leading to IT-consulting roles.

all these careers have gud sal, provided MBA done from gud school. KPO's like JPMC, BankAM, Goldman, Fidelity, Blackstone, Lehman and some similar invst banks/FI's hire MBA/CFA combos for invstmt bnkng/equity research.
ICFAI MS-Fin (CFA) takes abt 3yrs to complete even if u are better tahn avg student ready to put more hours during MBA. plus abt 80k fees extra, exam fee not included.
US CFA to appear all levels u need invst exp of 3-5 yrs plus passing exams etc to get CFA charter. chk the CFA thread and AIMR website for details. there is a min experience criteria before u are awarded the charter. exams 2 times a year. books not readily avlbl. u may have to import. total cos including books may be around 2 lacs.

to shift from IT to Fin u really need to be motivated towards that career, number oriented/analytical, plus aware abt global fin markets and institutons by regular reading and updations. however i hv seen engineers shifting to fin and doing very well.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hey,
thanks for the reply.Let me make it somewhat more clear.
I am not totally against or averse of management neither I ignore the role of communication in any job.
My point is, there is no learning left in my job and I feel I am not adding any value to myself in terms of knowledge.

Hence I think it will be wise to either switch job within IT industry(this may or may not serve the purpose) or go back to education.
But while going to education, I feel I should chose a course which
1.In itself makes me sound in my new field
2.also, gives me a job which will wont be exactly man handling to start with.I understand that at some point, I will start managing ppl..
3.and not to mention a good sal 😃

so which will be the better, CFA/MBA or any other?

For career switch to KPO, which are better companies in that field? do they give you training (like s/w cos) or they expect you to bring your own exp with you?

1. All MBA jobs req ppl mgmt and cordn with other deptts, customers etc. will involve hi level of communications.MBA fin included.
2. CFA will take u to fin MBA type careers only . again hi levels of commncn. if paired with MBA its gr8.
3. Look for MS in pure tech (wireless, IPV6, VLSI, SW arch etc) from BITS pilani, IIIT-B or IIT-Mtech. will have much less ppl mgmt roles for initial few yrs atleast. u can opt for integrated IISc Phd or Mtech and go for pure research in acad or industry. acad pays less but very satisfactory intellectually. ind pays more, u may have to manage team few yrs down and coord with ur research grp.
4. KPO pays well, requires team interaction/client interaction, plus US/UK timings as required. options in Data warehousing/mining, SW, CAD/CAM, design etc for Goldman, Lehman and similar co.s

All,
I am an engineer and working in a reputed indian software company for three years now.When I joined the company, my immediate needs were good sal and stabilty.I got both of them with a good work environment and onsite opportunities.
But the frustration was and is that work quality has never been good.My projects never needed any programming/brain work and all I did wa scommunication and follow up.

Now I have a feeling that If I stick on for some more time for the sake of money, I will lose any market value that is left in me and life will become hopeless with only agenda of covering my ass and somehow sticking to the job.I already see many ppl around doing the same.

So, I considered my career options (I am not looking for overseas jobs)
1.MBA - I am not really sure what kind of job I will do once I complete my MBA.I do not want land in a job of man handling nature.My expectation is that I should learn from my job. May be MBA finance can take me there?

2.CFA - CFA also is a very knowledge enriching course but as I picked from some threads here, it in isolation is not good enough to gove me a good job.In India, it is merely a booster to CVs of already CA or MBA cadidates.

Can you think of any other options I may have? I am ready to invest upto 4 lakhs and 2 years full time for the course if it sure gives me a good work profile and decent sal.

Whats the KPO buzz? any opportunities for dummy like me there?