Student Stories: Articles by current Engineering Students

148 Posts  ·  404 Users
About this group

Students from engineering colleges across the country tell their stories and share a slice of their life with readers.

Page 1 of 15

JEE Main Login Application Form Released Candidates have to online apply by using the details of JEE Main Login

https://bit.ly/2RX80We

undefined
Write a comment...

I secure 35575 rank in jee mains 2017 Which college should i prefer. Plz help to find a good college for btech...

1 comment
vinitvk007
@vinitvk007  ·  0 karma

are u eligible to sit for advance?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment...

In India, one of the first professions that comes into mind when one speaks of jobs is Engineering. Engineering is highly dynamic and is actively involved in using technical means to solve the challenges faced in various aspects of life. A considerable chunk of the credit goes to how diversely it is categorised into various branches. Most of us would know branches like Computer Science, Electrical, Civil, Mechanical. What about the others? They still remain 'just some obscure branches’ that only the elite colleges of the country provide. Here, I wish to briefly discuss a few aspects of Chemical Engineering, in order to de-mystify it.

As unintuitive as it might seem, Chemical Engineering is not something like the ‘Engineering’ version of the Chemistry we learnt at schools. Chemical Engineering is not about Chemistry. It studies various physical and chemical processes at a large scale, and applies various techniques including Physics and Math to make the process better/more feasible/more economical.

In a sense, it is better called 'process engineering’.From the making of a pen to manufacturing petroleum on a large scale, the details of any process have to ‘go through’ Chemical Engineering. Using concepts like energy and mass balances, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, system control, process design etc., Chemical Engineering analyses the A to Z of a process and does its work. This means each step of a process is scrutinised thoroughly, and after working out the details, chemical engineering looks at ways to modify/improve the steps so that the overall process becomes better. It is also bothered about making the process environmental friendly, whilst simultaneously economical, and capable of giving maximum output (as well as profits if you want!). The reason we call it Chemical Engineering is that the subjects of study are mainly chemical processes. This, however does not limit it to the field of industrial chemistry.

Academically speaking, the principles of Chemical Engineering are compatible with a diverse set of fields. It has applications in the petroleum industry, chemicals manufacturing, food industry, drug design, environmental engineering, process control, the up-and-evolving fields of biotechnology and nanotechnology, and lots more! This makes it one of the most diverse fields of study.

In India, some of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) happen to offer this course at the undergraduate level. Many believe the best in their set include IIT Bombay and IIT Madras. Overall, the departments in both these IITs are well praised for their efforts. Aspirants who ‘get’ this branch in a good IIT and can’t do anything about it should not be disappointed at all. After all, the courses are interesting too, in the way things are applied in them. Thus, if one attempts to, one can start liking the field a lot. For the hardcore enthusiast, it is another experience! (Fun fact: Chemical Engineering is among the most-paid engineering jobs in the US, comparable to Computer Engineering!)

When I was in the position to select the branch I would be taking, I opted chemical engineering under top priority. This was because, out of all the options I had, related to my JEE rank, it felt more suited to my interests. I was also fascinated by its reach and its relationship with various other branches, all of which I also liked. It was perfect for an indecisive person like me – a branch which would cater to most of my interests!I hope I managed to give you a little flavour of how things are in Chemical Engineering. You might even research about it online to get to know more. I would definitely say that it is an interesting course. And it is always open for students who opt it out of interest. 

Similarly, it is important to choose what field you like most, rather than just the top-labelled branches that your JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) rank can provide you with. 

https://www.pagalguy.com/news/dear-aspirants-demystifying-chemical-engineering-5256783947890688

More
Be as you wish to seem.
1 like
undefined
Write a comment...

7 types of intelligence, which one are you?

Don’t we have just too many relatives and neighbours who keep judging one’s intelligence based only on the academic achievements one has, or based on one’s grades in school or college? Most of us end up getting annoyed or even depressed by the baseless conclusions and comparisons people make on us. Well, here’s something heartening.The Theory of Multiple Intelligences, which was proposed by Howard Gardner in 1983 basically divides intelligence into seven types of more innate capabilities. Let us have a brief glimpse at what each type is.

• Logical - Mathematical Intelligence: This one takes into account logical ability, critical thinking, reasoning and working with numbers. It is closely associated with cognition and intellect. Highly sought out in India, this type could very well be the only area where young students are tested. No wonder, having good logical - mathematical intelligence will make you popular among your relatives!

Besides this, the other six are:

• Musical Intelligence: This intelligence relates to the general sensitivity a person has towards sounds, rhythms, and tones. So, if one is blessed with musical intelligence, they will have the capacity to sing, play instruments, and compose music with much more ease than others.

• Visual - Spatial Intelligence: It is the intelligence associated with the spatial judgment of a person, that is, the power of visualising things. It is most useful in areas involving realistic analysis and in investigative occupations.

• Verbal - Linguistic Intelligence: This relates to a person’s ability with regards to words and language (spoken and written). People with this intelligence are good at writing, reading, story-telling and memorising words.

• Bodily - Kinesthetic Intelligence: The main elements here are a general ability to control one’s bodily motions and handle physical objects skilfully. In addition, it also includes timing your actions, and the ability to train responses. Needless to say, people with this are generally good at physical activities like sports, dance, acting and craft.

• Interpersonal: This is characterised by empathy and sensitivity towards others’ moods, feelings, motivations, and temperaments. It also oversees how one coordinates with others in group activities. It should be noted that being extroverted or introverted has nothing to do with this type of intelligence. Anyone can develop the above skills required.

• Intrapersonal: This deals with an individual’s self-introspection. This would mean that one has a deep understanding of oneself, one can identify one’s weaknesses and strengths, and being able to identify what makes one unique. In today’s world of hectic competitive exams where many people are ending their own lives owing to pressure, this one would help people a lot.

We should realise that while all of us are blessed naturally with at least one of the above, many of us also have the capability to expand our skill set and knowledge in areas corresponding to the various types of intelligence. We should also realise that judging a person by what he/she doesn’t have is not a good thing. It is always the strengths of a person that matter most. There are also numerous other types of intelligence which cannot be defined explicitly, or belong to a different categorization, and we should accept the fact that every one of us is unique in our own ways, and a system of age-old classifications does not completely define an individual.

Ultimately, it is who you are and what you can do that define you, not what you cannot do.

(Do bear in mind that this system of classification is one of the many that exist. These are the types Gardner had formulated. Some scientists liked it, some did not. Also, this system is only to show the various types of intelligence, but no method of measuring the different types of intelligence objectively. This is because Gardner did not define the term 'intelligence' and proceeded in an ad-hoc manner. Yet, The wonderful thing is, hundreds of schools across the world are already using this philosophy to give education to each individual in a proper way.) 

https://www.pagalguy.com/news/7-types-of-intelligence-which-one-are-you-4993033546235904  

More
Be as you wish to seem.
1 like
undefined
Write a comment...

SEVEN THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHILE TAKING IIT-JEE 2017

With just about a few weeks left for the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) – Main and Advanced – to commence, it is easily evident that this stretch is probably the most crucial period to make or break one’s preparation up until this point. One of the most important things to do during this time is practice question papers – lots of them, be it mock tests or previous papers. The tactics and experience you gain from simply solving lots of papers will help a lot during the actual exam. That being said, here are a few things to keep in mind while taking the actual exam.

• When you receive the question paper, always start solving it from the subject you are the most comfortable with. My preferred order was CMP, for instance. Make sure you identify what order gives you the best advantage in solving the paper quickly.  Note that it is advisable to do physics last as maths and chemistry can be completed fast, and physics involves sums which are relatively more time-consuming.
  • There need not be any particular order in solving the questions. My maths teacher used to believe the ideal way is to first skim through all the questions in a subject, identifying the easy questions and solving them first. So typically, each subject can be divided into 2-3 rounds of question-solving based on the difficulty levels. This will surely be a useful thing to do in terms of making the optimum use of time.
  • If stuck at a question, do not waste your valuable time trying to solve it. Also, panicking will NOT do you any good. Simply postpone it to later, after finishing other and possibly more do-able questions. This might seem easy to do but it often gets the best of us.
  • It is very important to avoid calculation errors, e.g., questions in physics and physical chemistry. One little mistake will simply cost you the answer. Hence, practise a lot to try to reduce your calculation errors. While practising, you might tend to neglect the calculation part of any answer, thinking it is trivial, but calculating the final answer during practice is important to increase calculation efficiency.
  • On a similar note, physically put the pen on the paper while calculating the answer. Try to avoid mental calculations in the final stages of deriving the answer.
  • Although this is obvious, don’t leave an unattempted question blank if it has no negative marking.
  • Lastly, never forget to re-check your answers. You never know when you mistakenly mark a wrong option, or perform silly mistakes.

Bear in mind that all your effort learning concepts and practising problems over the last two years will add up to how you perform in the exam. Sleep well the night before the exam, eat heartily to make you energized for the day, and avoid last minute preparations. So, keep these tips in mind and take the exam with a calm and collected state of mind, and simply give your best! Good luck for those who are appearing in JEE 2017! 

https://www.pagalguy.com/news/seven-things-to-keep-in-mind-while-taking-iit-jee-5129121430503424

More
Be as you wish to seem.
undefined
Write a comment...

PROFESSORS NOT APATHETIC TOWARDS STUDENTS, CONSEQUENCE OF COLLEGE SYSTEM

It is perhaps not an overstatement to say that college life is the most important phase of an individual’s life. It is quintessential in making or breaking an individual. For most freshmen, it can be quite daunting as they haven’t yet got used to the system of colleges. That is because, colleges have different operational philosophies than schools. Students typically enter college with lots of dreams and ideals. It so happens that, they don’t exactly experience the reality they had envisioned. It is just that they face the reality of their misconceptions being cleared. The highly clichéd image in movies/popular media which romanticises colleges should be the last place to take first impressions from.

(Note that by colleges, I mean university-level, throughout the article)

“College teachers do not care about the students”:

Indeed, one of the most defining aspects to a college is the professors. It is true that they are expected to bestow the contents of the curriculum in the most-student friendly way possible, such that every student understands the crux of the matter and gets motivated to pursue the contents further. But, a glaring reality is that in most colleges today, the student-to-professor ratio is far from the ideal value. e.g., the strength of my classes grew from 30 to 60, to 240 as I moved from school, to junior college to college. Only successful universities like Harvard have managed to make it something as healthy as 7:1.

This inevitably creates a gap in the form of lack of proper interpersonal interactions between a student and the professor. I like to believe most professors put their ego aside and try to help the students as much as possible. It’s only that a slew of factors play a part in deterring them. For example, the professor who seemed intimidating was actually really helpful in explaining something when I approached him after class.  One more reason why some professors might seem so bad is simply because their primary job is research, rather than teaching. The professor is simultaneously expected to excel in research and in teaching students. Most professors I know of, have had an illustrious past in research at various research institutions, irrespective of how they are in class. Thus, a professor might not have all the ‘lovely’ teaching qualities a school teacher might have. This does not mean the professor totally dismisses teaching as a priority.

The role of a school is to make one mature enough to face the challenges of life. It focusses on individual development. Accordingly, students are spoon-fed enough in their schools that they are expected to take things up a notch in college.

In college, the responsibility lies on the student to think for himself/herself and apply what he/she has learnt. One brilliant way to do this is to approach the professors themselves, as they should realise that professors in college aren’t as freely available as teachers in schools. (Students typically don’t realise this soon enough, and start criticising the professors in turn). It may seem difficult to do so, but it’s only a matter of going, talking and fixing a convenient time to speak with them when they’re available.  Realistically speaking, out-rightly criticising the professors will not really help anyone. Thus, in today’s colleges, it lies on the student to contact and interact with the professor, as hard as it might sound.

One should understand that, colleges demand a student change his/her perspective on the educational ethic. In addition, it really lies on the students, and not on the professors to hone themselves. 

Of course, there will be flaws somewhere in any educational system, but that does not mean it should deter determined and capable students from achieving what they want.

There will be ample opportunities for a student to excel, it is a mere matter of recognising how to capture the opportunities. After all, it will be the students who will benefit in the long run if they make the most out of it. Therefore, I feel it is not wholly true in saying college is a place where only the professors are given importance and students take the back-seat. It is only a matter of perception. This is only my opinion. 

Article link - https://www.pagalguy.com/news/a-college-system-requires-professors-to-be-facilitators-rather-than-spoon-feed-students-6620759252271104

Read a contrary opinion to this article here - https://www.pagalguy.com/news/is-college-of-the-teachers-by-the-teachers-and-for-the-teachers-44040574

More
Be as you wish to seem.
undefined
Write a comment...

‘Waking up earlier than 3am might have been a little too much!’

My IIT- JEE Experience

I was first introduced to the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at school in Hyderabad in 2010, when I was 11 years old. At that time, it felt like one of those mysterious institutes which everybody kept talking about. My school offered Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry, courses which were of a higher level than the standard I was studying in. Being the science enthusiast I am, I opted to take those courses, which constituted something called 'IIT Foundation' at the school level, starting from class 8. During that time, it was very easy going. The teachers of the foundation courses were not bad either. So, I stuck to that course for two years. It was discontinued in class 10 because we had board exams then.

During the summer vacation after class 10, my parents and I decided that I would study class 11 and 12, at the Narayana College cum coaching institutions, in Hyderabad. I absolutely despised the idea of staying in a hostel for coaching, so I joined in a day-scholar campus. I used to travel everyday to the college, which was around 15 kms away from my home. Here, it is worth noting that I did not have any special interest towards studying at the IITs then, so I enjoyed a carefree summer vacation in 2014 for about a month. Just when my family and I had guessed a week was left for the college to start, the people from the coaching called and said that the classes would start from the next day itself, even before the completion of the summer vacation. Since we were in a different city then, I decided to miss the first week of classes and go from the first week of June.

Finally, I started attending the classes. They were initially for half a day in June, but then it became from 8am to 6pm on all weekdays. Funnily enough, I got to know from my friends that nothing significant had happened the week I was absent. This went on for some time and it took a while for our Mathematics subject to get started. Once everything was settled, the teaching went into full swing, with two and a half hour classes on each subject. There were three exams conducted per week, with the exams eating up our Sundays too, and we were evaluated based on the performance in those. I initially performed very badly in those and got extremely disheartened and demotivated because the lecturers gave high importance to the weekly exams. In spite of this, I managed to get promoted into a 'higher' section where all the good performers are placed. The same weekly routine was followed, and it pretty much stuck throughout the two years.

Ironically, it was during this period that I actually developed an interest to study in the IITs. Maybe it was due to my affection towards the Science / Engineering, or it might have been the result of continuously writing JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) model exams every week. From this point, I keenly developed a positive outlook towards the JEE and started to take positive stress, hoping for a good outcome in return for all the hard work I put in. The lecturers were very helpful and gave constructive feedback after every one of my performances, giving me tips on how to become successful in the actual JEE exam. The level of the weekend exams also went very high, sometimes higher than the JEE level. In spite of that, I tried to give my best in each exam.

Whenever I used to feel demotivated, I used to watch videos on the IITs and life in the IITs. It used to work like a charm and I always used to get back into focus. My classmates who also had a strong determination to succeed became my great friends. Thus, I managed to spend two years, even though the college and its system tested my endurance to the limits, and despite me having to sacrifice my other interests, my free-time, and time spent with family. There were days I woke up earlier than 3 am, but in retrospect, I feel it might have been a little too much!

I wrote my board exams well, and all the credit goes to self-study. I worked extra hard during the stretch before JEE Main and took daily intensive practice tests. At last, I wrote my JEE Main. It didn't go as well as planned, but I was confident I would get an above-average rank. For JEE Advanced, I followed almost the same routine as the stretch before JEE Main. I covered the topics which were important from the Advanced point of view, and worked up on my weak areas extensively. On the day of my JEE Advanced exam, I went with an almost relaxed mind along with my family, and wrote the two papers of the exam calmly. After that, I just talked to my friends and lecturers regarding my performance. I could've done better, but I was pretty satisfied with what I did. I checked up on some answer keys, but each answer key indicated a different total. Flustered, I just kept the question paper aside and relaxed.

I then had the most peaceful vacation in 2 years. I didn't care about my JEE rank anymore. Anyway, on the day of the results, I got to know that I secured a pretty decent rank in JEE Advanced.

I also got a moderately good rank in JEE Main.I finally succeeded in achieving my target. I am studying now at IIT Bombay, first year in Chemical Engineering (an awesome branch, I must say!). All the hard work put into JEE was totally worth it.​

A. S. V. KIREETI
JEE-ADV 2016 AIR 1261

https://www.pagalguy.com/news/waking-up-earlier-than-3am-might-have-been-a-little-too-much-6611821593100288 

More
Be as you wish to seem.
1 like1 comment
neeraj23
@neeraj23  ·  5,950 karma

Great

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment...

Why adult literacy matters?
India has a democratic government and the people here elect their representatives by votes. However,because of illiteracy not everyone is aware of the right to vote. They are easily moved by appeals made in the name of religion, caste and language. Illiteracy is a curse. Have we ever thought that :

1.  39% of the world’s illiterates are Indians 
  2. Population- wise, out of every 20 people around the world, there are three Indians.
  3. out of these three Indians, only one is literate while two are illiterates

The level of education is directly related to the social condition of the population. States with higher literacy rates have a large portion of people taking interest in voting. Educated mothers have a small family of two healthier children at an average while the illiterate mothers have six or more children who are mostly malnourished.Illiterate people have certain expectations from literary programs. The meaning of literacy is not limited to merely reading and writing for them. Literacy should enable them to lead a better kind of life and illiterate people should be involved actively in all learning processes. The method of teaching and behaviour in class both should be different, according to need and experience of adults. The teacher should keep in mind the aim of adult literacy.LITERACY:

• Promotes self-respect of the individual.
  • Results in better health awareness and care.
  • Helps raise the status of women.
  • Increases participation in the democratic process.
  • Brings about an awareness of rights.
  • Helps prevent exploitation and improves earnings.
  • Gives an individual greater control over their own lives.
  • Promotes environmental awareness. 

For the purpose of education, adults can be divided into two classes - the illiterates and the partially literates. Adult education is based on the idea that no one can be entirely content with their lives unless he or she is educated. After all, education opens up the mind. The minimum that is expected by adult education is the ability to read the daily newspaper and to follow current events of the world.
Generally, almost all the work of the adult education is done free. It is done in the spirit of social service. The importance of this adult education has now been fully known all across the country. Students of colleges and schools are taking keen interest in these programs such as ‘each one teach one’ and ‘the National Literacy Mission’. Adult education is noble work in which everybody can take part. It is the work of great donation -‘Vidya daan is maha daan’.

More
undefined
Write a comment...

10 reasons why I traded my library for a Kindle

I still remember the day I went paperless; it was three years ago and the reason was a device named 'Kindle.' It was a pretty new concept back then. Amazon had launched a limited-edition Kindle carved in graphite. It was an advanced version with fewer buttons since the alphanumeric keypad had been replaced by a single button. Having it was a dream come true. Though it had cost me a fortune, it was totally worth it. Here's why:

1. Feels like paper

Believe it or not, nothing gets as close to paper as a Kindle does. It exhibits all paper-like characteristics. The E-ink reads like paper and its surface feels like paper. All in all, the reading experience is just like reading from a hard copy. The only thing a Kindle can't do is smell and fold like paper; which is not bad.

2. Glare-free display

You invariably face problems while looking at your phone's LCD screen in sunlight. Due to screen glare, you end up increasing your screen's brightness level. This never happens with a Kindle because it comes with a glare-free display. Like I said, it reads like paper; even in sunlight! Kindle serves as a perfect companion while holidaying on a beach. The more sunlight, the better it gets!

3. No eye-strain

You can read from your Kindle at any angle leading to minimum strain on your eyes. Unlike an LCD display, it reads just the same every time!

4. No bookmarks

People use bookmarks to mark the part of book they have finished reading. Unfortunately, these bookmarks tend to disappear. They fall off, children tear it off or they just disappear out of the blue. So, people just fold the corner of the pages. Unfortunately, you cannot dog-ear your Kindle display. But who cares? Kindle also automatically syncs all your books to the furthest page read. What's more, a Kindle indicates the percentage of the book read at the bottom of the screen in addition to the number of pages read. As simple as that!

5. Built-in dictionary

While reading a book, you often come across a word whose meaning you are not sure about. Most of the times, you just ignore the word and continue reading. After all, who's going to carry the huge dictionary and search the word while skimming through all its pages? A Kindle makes things easier. You just need to place the cursor on the word and the meaning of the word appears right on the screen in the blink of an eye! The built-in dictionary improves your vocabulary.

6. Wi-Fi on-the-go

Every Kindle device needs to be registered with an Amazon account. You can connect to Wi-Fi and browse through billions of books available on the Amazon bookstore. You can avail of offers on the Amazon store while buying e-books for your Kindle. The best thing to do is to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited on a yearly basis which gives you unlimited access throughout the year.

7. Light weight

A Kindle is much lighter than a paperback weighing less than 200 grams. Reading books never gets easier than this!

8. Inexhaustible storage

A Kindle comes with 4 GB of internal memory which can store over 12,000 e-books. This means you can carry books weighing more than a ton in a thing which weighs less than 200 grams!

9. Powerful battery

Once fully charged, a Kindle's battery lasts for a week. Even if you read 24X7. I'm not kidding, okay?

10. You go Green

With every book you read on your Kindle, you go paperless. You save a lot of paper and you save a lot of trees. Hence, you inadvertently go green!

So, celebrate your love for reading.

More
1 like1 comment
srishti09
@srishti09  ·  2 karma

@shridharmulay Very true! kindle is really a boon for readers. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment...

Choosing the right branch of engineering

Congratulations to the two Maharashtra Common Entrance Test 2016 toppers; Chinmay Ghanekar and Aman Framewala.They both have scored 199 marks in PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Maths).

Both the toppers wanted to secure their admission at VJTI (Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute), Mumbai. And as you can see in the images, both of them have been successful in doing so in the first Centralised Allocation Process (CAP) round itself.

Aman Framewala secured a seat in Computer Engineering at VJTI, Mumbai. This Mumbai based institute has witnessed a history of MHT-CET toppers being admitted in its Computer Engineering Department. Once you score above 185 in MHT-CET, you are expected to make it to Computer Engineering at VJTI. This year, 23 students who scored above 185 in MHT-CET have sought admission in Computer Engineering at VJTI.

What makes Computer Engineering popular among toppers is the placements it offers with dream companies like Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Facebook, IBM, Rakuten, etc offering packages as high as 52 lakhs.

Surprisingly, Chinmay Ghanekar hasn't followed this trend. He rather opted for a seat in Mechanical Engineering at VJTI. What is more surprising is that only one student scoring above 185 in MHT-CET has sought admission in Mechanical Engineering at VJTI and the lone candidate is the topper - Chinmay Ghanekar. As you can see in the image, the second candidate who has sought admission in Mechanical Engineering has 181 marks; that is 18 marks and 266 ranks behind Chinmay!

Now, why do CET toppers follow the trend of seeking admission in Computer Engineering at VJTI?

You think all those interested in computer science are toppers? Of course, not!

People just follow the herd. All they think about is the placements, the companies and the college and the salaries; nobody cares about the branch of their interest.

Nobody thinks about what they are going to learn in the four years of engineering. People just think about the placement that a branch offers and not about the curriculum. All they want is to get into a branch of a good college that offers the best placements.

Choosing the right branch of engineering is more important than choosing an engineering colleges on account of placements. After all, what is better - Wasting four years of engineering studying things you don't like or choosing an interesting branch and making innovations in your field of interest?

You must know where your interests lie and it's not that difficult to figure out. If you are crazy about machines, if you love mechanics and thermodynamics, then you are fit for Mechanical Engineering. If you are good at coding, then you must go for Computer Engineering. If you are good at solving all those complicated electrical circuits and networks, then you belong to Electronics Engineering. If you are fascinated by huge structures, then you must be in Civil Engineering. If you are good at transformers and motors, then go for Electrical Engineering. If you like satellites and antennas, then you belong to Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.

So, if you are confused over which branch to take in engineering, now you know what to do.

Choose wisely!

More
2 likes1 comment
srishti09
@srishti09  ·  2 karma

That indeed is true. After all Einstein and Newton weren't the ones to follow a crowd. One needs to stand out to do something big and students need to understand that. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment...