Story: Jack takes GMAT.

18 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
*Preface* I am presenting you a story of Jack, a normal GMAT test taker. Lately I observed, students' negative drive towards taking the test; Jack is one of them. I can see many Jacks there. They usually postpone or retake the test becau...
Page 1 of 2

OK It's :yell: june ending.
perfect time for GMAT prep.
You should not extend it any longer if you're applying to b-schools abroad this year :). come August keep that as a deadline.

Infact that was the purpose behind launching this story last august.
This year again I'm bumping the thread for you guys.

In a year I learn more about peoples perception and psychology.
I observed changes in GMAT. wrt GMAT prep s/w.
...would discuss more....

GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I found the same story at beating GMAT & beyond: Jack's GMAT story:

Is that your blog?

Edited later...
Oopss...sorry, Yea I see that in ur signature.
Good one thr 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

its so damn true and this s wat happens in majority of the cases...good one dude...ur an awesome analyst i should say....

rock on...

MBA Podcaster, Entrepreneur, Product Manager
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Bingo

excellent analysis Mituag
thanks for the response.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Ok,
Here is my take on what Jack should do.
Firstly , I think Jack did not follow the right approach.
I mean after getting a low score in the practise test even after preparing for two-three months he should have tried to identify his weak areas and then work on them. Probably some professional help or talking to others who cracked GMAT and asking them to mentor him.

Jack still has aprrox two years or more before he starts thinking of starting the app process. He can give GMAT a break now, relax and start on it after a break.
But this time working on his weaker areas, identifying his mistakes and some help from others, he should retake his test.

That was just one of the views.

If Jack does not have time or patience to spend more time on GMAT. He should consider his score to be ok and work on his profile, extra curriculars and other stuff. What Jack should realise is that 650+ is a average score at a good school but there are people who have admits with a score of 600!
He should work on building his profile and try to present a great package.
If he manages to do that and also reasons his low GMAT well then he's gor good chances.

Overall, dropping the idea of joining a b-school is not at all good, unless he's hit a jackpot in Lotto ;)

Jack is a typical b-schools aspirant who is going thru these varied emotions which each gmat taker and b-school aspirant goes through.

Jack's case in some would help all the aspirants the importance of the different elements, vizaviz GMAT, essays, recommendations, extra curriculars etc...

That was my take on that.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I dont know why all people are making this disclaimers note: "no offense meant" let me tell you again this is just a study thread, a survey, purely intellectual stuff...

I don't know if I am making sense but I did make an effort to explain what I meant.
This is a purely neutral post with no offences meant to anybody, just in case.....
Thanks and ATB

yeah i got your point.
but I am afraid its off the topic.

Thanks anyways 😃
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@NairPraveen: hmmm i got similar response from somebody ages back about the Jack.

Dear Praveen,
by the two replies you have posted here on the thread, i think, you have not understood what is the intention of the story. and the thread in larger extend.

Have you read post #1 THE PREFACE?
It clearly states that Jack is fictional character.( & my name is Johny not Jack )

.... i developed the story from all experience i got while i was on various GMAT related forums....
i saw people fail to succeed even after all preparation and money spend on coaching classes,
.. this is to your post #5 & #6: I tried to spot the hole; what goes wrong and what should be the right approach....
& then i published this article: what you are reading is just a first of half of the article. (ie the question/ dilemma part) the solution and analysis followed is provided in my blog
I deliberately did not publish the rest of the article because i received no response from this community...

I ll however will publish if the thread catches up 😃
Thank you.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey aim,
Just a suggestion.Why don't u have this thread in your signature.That'll take care of a lot of things And yeah am following your marathon.So how about getting that commitment for once :eh:
ATB n Wharton awaits you :thumbsup:

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Okay here it goes,

An attempt needs to be backed by two things:

1) Ability (Innate or cultivated)
2) Attitude (I am no talking about intention, because very good intentions often go down the drain)

There is also a third thing, which though should not be mentioned because it is extraneous is "Luck" (There isn't a shit you can do about it, except for doing good and hoping for good)

While ability factor is normally worked upon very relegiously, it it the attitude which separates the haves from the havenots. Unfortunately we are in a place like India where we have lot of ability surrounding us (I would believe that only CHina gives us a serious competition).

Hence while most people are able, many of them lack the understanding of what is it that they want to become, will it satisy their long term goals(many don't have a clear idea abt this), will their be any additional load of responsbility that they need to take care of etc etc etc....

While all of this might sound slighly more philosophical, these discussons are very real and pose practical challenges to an aspirant.

At a finer level this level of maturity reflects in your essays and your discussions, at a more braoder level it helps you demystify your journey towards an illusive drream.

I don't know if I am making sense but I did make an effort to explain what I meant.

This is a purely neutral post with no offences meant to anybody, just in case.....

Thanks and ATB

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hahaa
check the age
Johny is juss 24 years ol'
he lacks maturity to write about ^life experiences^ so he wrote just about the GMAT stuff

would love to hear more from you if you elaborate your last post a bit
:)

thanks for the response

By the way, does 'Jack' referr to you by some means?? :confused:
PS: No offence ment!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...