St Gallen Vs UC Irvine

3 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Hi Guys, I have been admitted to St Gallen and UC Irvine MBA programs. Finding it difficult to choose between the two ? Any advice ?
Page 1 of 1

I was also accepted to these two schools (University of California, Irvine and University of St. Gallen). I, however, am from Southern California. I think that St. Gallen will broaden my horizons and I want to get away from Southern California for a while (I've lived in NYC, but want to get out of the States for a while). Mary Clark was great and I appreciate being accepted to UCI, but I think St. Gallen is the place to be. What have you decided?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

These two programmes are not really comparable 😃 It is like comparing brinjals and tomatos.
I think your chice needs to be based on factors other than 'which school is ranked higher'.
Firstly, it is important to decide on the location where you wish to make a career post-MBA- USA, Europe, SE Asia or India; this will have a major bearing on which of the schools you will choose. Each school will have a reach in terms of placement, in and around its geographical location.
St. Gallen, I am told is a well known university in Switzerland-In the German speaking areas of Europe, it is a well respected university. But the MBA programme is not as well recognized as the bachelors programmes from St. Gallen, though- so, if you are looking for career possibilities in German speaking Europe, St. Gallen gives you an advantage over Irvine; but then you should be fluent in German; Jobs and visas are not easily available for the non-Swiss, non-EU citizen.
On the other hand, if you wish to work in USA, post-MBA, Irvine is a better choice; but Irvine is not a very highly ranked B-school and for aliens (non-US citizen/PR), it may not be very easy to get a good job even in good times-certainly not in the current context.

If you plan to head back to India post-MBA, then, I guess neither of them are a great brand in India!- but, you will have the satisfaction of multi-cutural exposure; but whether it will improve your career opportunities, post-MBA, in the Indian job market, I am not sure.

Then ofcourse, you have to take into account the costs- one year vs two year programme- the total cost including opportunity loss for the one year/ two years- this also you need to factor in.

If you are a rich guy who can afford to spend 30-50 lakh rupees and don't feel a pinch, then go ahead.
If you are a middle class guy, who sees this as an investment to get better returns, go ahead if you feel that you can cope with the situation, even if you have to come back to India and look for a job in India! Or else look for a B-school in India which has good local brand.

These are some of my thoughts.
Good luck

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys,

I have been admitted to St Gallen and UC Irvine MBA programs.
Finding it difficult to choose between the two ?

Any advice ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...