Simon 2012 graduate accepting questions

9 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
Hi guys, I am a graduating candidate from Simon. The reason for opening up this thread is to provide a critical perspective of the merits and demerits of attending Simon. Most of us will end up taking hefty loans for Simon and it is only fair...
Page 1 of 1

Hi Simongsb,

I am admitted into the Winter 2013 program. i still havent made a decison can you please answer the following so that i can make a informed decision.

1) What are the monthly living expenses (i was hoping for a all inclusive figure such as rent, travel etc)
2) I will be applying for ISLP (international student loan program without a co-signer) . do u have any details about the same.
3) i am planning to pursue MBA in Finance. So how is the employment scene? especially as u mentioned being an indian its even tougher.

Thanks in advance. ur answers could make all the difference.

Rachel

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

I have friends who left Simon for Schulich. I don't think that was because of Simon itself, but job prospects and life prospects are surely better in Toronto than Rochester.

No matter which track you choose, you will need to get an internship. Even with accelerated one, you get ample time to search for internships and you are not considered a separate batch or anything by the CMC. I don't know why this idea is being propagated. The internship is going to be the single most important thing in determining your final placement.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Finals and all.

I am a Sept MBA myself. The accelerated MBA is no different than the regular MBA. But then it starts late, so over the second year, you will have to take 4 courses in each some of the quarters while your September peers get to take 3 courses. Besides that, each course has the same fees so I am almost positive that Sept MBA is no more expensive than Jan MBA. For me, tuition was something over 83K. But, since you get to stay 3 months less, that would be cheaper. I am not sure if you were offered, but some of the Jan MBAs find it useful to ditch the ELUSC program as well. If you ask me it is unproductive for Indian students to go through ELUSC.

Now consulting is hiring and is surely in a better place than Finance. If you know what kind of consulting then it would be easier to respond. Campus wise: Deloitte hires only for Business Tech Masters - tech strategy. KPMG (IT advisory) hires as well. E&Y; used to, but they did not this year. Cognizant hires for Strategy. Simon-Kucher for pricing. Analysis Group as well. None of the biggies BCG/Bain/McK/Booz/ATK come to Simon. I don't think that's because they think we don't match up to their standards, (which may be partially true), but because it is not worth their while to commit to Rochester every year when they can get candidates easier, better, closer to home.

That said, it is not encouraging for consulting (although compared to finance hiring it is better). If you network enough, put hard work outside Simon, you might reap some benefit. But you would have to keep connecting with life forms outside Simon if you want results.

Do you have other options? Compare it with other MBA programs. Often lower ranked programs in big cities have better corporate connections and hence better placements. And, our rank used to be 27 but now it has dropped. So no reason why we can't compare Simon to lower ranked schools.

I hope this helps.

@ppa3005: Thanks for the reply.

I have got admits from Thunderbird School of Global Management, Glendale, Arizona and Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto. What would be your recommendation among these business schools. Your insight would be really helpful here.

Moreover, from what i have got to know is that Simon's accelerated MBA track does not have internship. If you could confirm me this also. So how important is internship for getting a full time job in US. And if actually there is no internship, then is this course worth pursuing?

Thanks
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@Apple007:

If you want IT strategy, you may get some limited coverage from KPMG, Deloitte - but that's about it. Remember competition is tough and you can expect at least 30 Indians fighting for 2 Deloitte positions. For Corporate Strategy, this is clearly the wrong place to expect help in placements. Then again, once you start school, your choice of career would be very fluid depending on which courses you start to admire.

BUT, what I have just heard from the 2013 batch, things have dramatically improved for their internships. I would recommend you immediately contact someone from 2013 and find out more about how responsive CMC was and what companies came in.

So for Q1, I would steer clear of both Simon and Erasmus given the 2012 scenario (I am confused what to suggest given the updates I got from 2013). But I strongly advice speaking to 2013 folks. Thunderbird has its advantage - being in a big city - lots of opportunities, getting a job would be easier, smoother, faster. Can't comment on Erasmus intelligently.

Q2, ISLP is a loan program offered to international candidates. Check it out.
Full-Time MBA Program Loans : Simon Graduate School of Business

Cheers.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@spb - they will take 2 weeks to announce the decision.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@ Apple007

Any idea when will they let you know about the decision ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Finals and all.

I am a Sept MBA myself. The accelerated MBA is no different than the regular MBA. But then it starts late, so over the second year, you will have to take 4 courses in each some of the quarters while your September peers get to take 3 courses. Besides that, each course has the same fees so I am almost positive that Sept MBA is no more expensive than Jan MBA. For me, tuition was something over 83K. But, since you get to stay 3 months less, that would be cheaper. I am not sure if you were offered, but some of the Jan MBAs find it useful to ditch the ELUSC program as well. If you ask me it is unproductive for Indian students to go through ELUSC.

Now consulting is hiring and is surely in a better place than Finance. If you know what kind of consulting then it would be easier to respond. Campus wise: Deloitte hires only for Business Tech Masters - tech strategy. KPMG (IT advisory) hires as well. E&Y; used to, but they did not this year. Cognizant hires for Strategy. Simon-Kucher for pricing. Analysis Group as well. None of the biggies BCG/Bain/McK/Booz/ATK come to Simon. I don't think that's because they think we don't match up to their standards, (which may be partially true), but because it is not worth their while to commit to Rochester every year when they can get candidates easier, better, closer to home.

That said, it is not encouraging for consulting (although compared to finance hiring it is better). If you network enough, put hard work outside Simon, you might reap some benefit. But you would have to keep connecting with life forms outside Simon if you want results.

Do you have other options? Compare it with other MBA programs. Often lower ranked programs in big cities have better corporate connections and hence better placements. And, our rank used to be 27 but now it has dropped. So no reason why we can't compare Simon to lower ranked schools.

I hope this helps.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi simongsb,

Very useful post!!
I am being considered in Simon for accelerated MBA track which will start from Jan 2013. I will have a work experience of 4 yrs before i join Simon. So i would like to know first that how does the 2 yr MBA track compares with this accelerated MBA track. What are the pros and cons of accelerated MBA track. Is there any difference in expenses for these two tracks and what will be the estimated expenses for both of these tracks?

Moreover i am interested in consulting after completion of MBA, so how good will be Simon for me. What are the employment statistics in consulting?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys,

I am a graduating candidate from Simon. The reason for opening up this thread is to provide a critical perspective of the merits and demerits of attending Simon. Most of us will end up taking hefty loans for Simon and it is only fair that the disadvantages of being in Rochester be appropriately highlighted.

I am highlighting some of them here. I am glad to go into detail. This is not a place to rant against Simon. In fact I feel Simon curriculum is as good as any in the top 10 of BusinessWeek and may be better. But I want to afford accurate information to incoming students.

I would be glad to go into details if anyone has any questions. I will also be willing to direct any specific field (fin/operations/mkting) related questions to my peers.

So shoot. Don't decide before you have asked every question you have.

Pros:

o Exceptional curriculum.
o Exceptional coursework.
o Exceptional professors and academic research in the field of economics, analytics, finance.

Cons:
o Absolutely unaccountable career management center. It is nearly a joke. It keeps revamping every 2 years so no one has any real incentive to bring about any real change.
o Heavy number of Indian students (higher competition). If anyone finally ends up joining Simon, they will understand why this is bad.
o Finance has restricted hiring. So core competency of the school is faltering.
o Strategy is difficult to get into. Most of the time the best that could be done is tech strategy.
o 20% of Indian population placed until graduation. This is not an aceptable statistic for a b-school that charges 100K.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...